The world ‘soul’ and ‘life’ are used interchangeable in the Word of God, and we discover that this man’s spiritual life was fruitful – his soul was flourishing.

Such teaching is false and biblically incorrect. (Comp. (10) If I come.--Comp. From a compound of eu and hodos; to help on the road, i.e. 2Corinthians 8:23; Philippians 1:27; Colossians 4:11; 1Thessalonians 3:2.) Loveth to have the preeminence.--Makes it his evil aim to have the whole influence of the community in his own hands.

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Singular. Commentary. Sickness may be allowed to chasten the erring or rebellious heart, but a Christian whose faith is firm and character established, can ill afford to despise the inestimable blessing of a sound body. Verse Thoughts. (9) I wrote unto the church.--"I wrote somewhat unto the Church." Because that for his name's sake they went forth. 1John 3:10. 3 John 1:2, ESV: "Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul."

The LORD hear thee in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee; …, Philippians 2:4,27 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others…, 3 John 1:3-6 For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth…, Colossians 1:4-6 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints, …, 1 Thessalonians 1:3-10 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; …, Above all things.--This may mean "in all things.". Be in health.--An ascetic would be surprised that one of the greatest of the Apostles should be so earnest on such a point. Before the church.--That where the Apostle then was, and from which they had probably been sent forth as missionaries, or, at any rate, with some definite religious object.

3 John 1:5 The Greek word for brothers and sisters (adelphoi) refers here to believers, both men and women, as part of God’s family. (2 c.) (8) We therefore.--In contrast to the heathens. That we might be fellowhelpers to the truth. The principle of co-operation was one of the earliest and leading ideas of the kingdom of Christ. This verse clearly contradicts the distorted teaching of certain ‘prosperity teachers’ and ‘faith-healers’, who insist that if sick people do not recover, it is due to a lack faith.. or that if you are materially poor you are not a spiritual believer because God wants all Christians to be materially wealthy!!! Middle voice of a primary verb; to wish; by implication, to pray to God.

(5) Thou doest faithfully--i.e., worthily of a faithful man, consistently with the Christian character. 2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. Of all men.--All Christians who knew him. Amen. And ye know that our record is true.--There is no arrogance or egotism in this: it is solely the appeal to the loyal fidelity of Caius--to the simplicity of Christ's gospel as set forth by John in accordance with the other Apostles. 1). spirit, abstractly or concretely. (Comp. Casteth them out.--Not necessarily formal excommunication; but Diotrephes had so far succeeded in his object that he was able to exclude these better disposed persons from the Christian society of the place. 4.

Functional and organic disorder or enervation proportionately lessen the capacity for thought, resolution, and activity.

It seems to be quoted in Didache, i. .".

From settled churches, or wealthy Christians of long standing, there would be nothing inimical to the interests of the message in receiving material support. 3 For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth. Hence there must have been some kind of missionary character in their journey. (7) Because that for his name's sake they went forth.--Their object was the highest possible--the glory of God's name. (2 g.) (12) Demetrius may very likely be the bearer of the Epistle.

1Corinthians 9:18; 2Corinthians 11:7; 2Corinthians 12:16; 1Thessalonians 2:9.). It sounds as if Gaius, to whom John addressed this little letter, was a dearly beloved disciple of the Lord Jesus.

Matthew 10:40. "If thou bring forward" is in the Greek in the past; "when thou hast sent them on, it will be a good work.". 3 John 1:2 Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well. 1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. And we also.--St.

Even as thy soul prospereth.--The word "prospereth" is literally makes good way, and so links on to the idea of walking, in 3John 1:3-4.

Acts 4:13.).

But the better a man's health, the more thoroughly he can do the work of God. You. From the base of peran; properly, through, i.e. It may be translated, "Thou doest a faithful work in whatsoever.

All, the whole, every kind of. There was probably every reason why Caius should follow Diotrephes: peace, good-fellowship, the dislike of singularity, popular example, and the indolent indifference which ordinary men feel for truth and right. Either way, the strangers would be Christians; but, according to the reading in the text, the brethren would be more or less acquaintances of their host. Thou is emphatic in the Greek, showing that there were others, like Diotrephes, of whom this could not be said. prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Thank You for the privilege of prayer.. so that we may approach Your throne of grace for help in time of sickness and need. ), (2 f.) He that doeth good is of God.--Comp.

That thou mayest Prosper and be in Health, as thy Soul Prospereth. 3 John 1:2 Parallel. Titus 3:13, 1Corinthians 16:11.) Psalm 20:1-5 The LORD hear you in the day of trouble; the name of the God of Jacob defend you... Philippians 2:4,27 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others... 3 John 1:3-6 For I rejoiced greatly, when the brothers came and testified of the truth that is in you, even as you walk in the truth... Colossians 1:4-6 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which you have to all the saints... 1 Thessalonians 1:3-10 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ... 1 Thessalonians 2:13,14,19,20 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when you received the word of God which you heard of us... 1 Thessalonians 3:6-9 But now when Timotheus came from you to us, and brought us good tidings of your faith and charity... 2 Thessalonians 1:3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brothers, as it is meet, because that your faith grows exceedingly... 2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brothers beloved of the Lord... Philemon 1:5-7 Hearing of your love and faith, which you have toward the Lord Jesus, and toward all saints... 2 Peter 1:3-9 According as his divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness... 2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The health of the soul came first in the Apostle's mind: when there is that, he can wish for bodily health to support it. (2 d.). This I ask in Jesus name, AMEN.

Revelation 2:9 I know your works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but you are rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews... [Sidenote: The Author.] To receive.--In the original there is a play with the word "receiving" in 3John 1:8. According to the manner in which, in the degree that, just as, as. John’s prayer, was that the physical health of this beloved saint might ‘prosper’, in the same way that his spiritual health was prospering. James 5:12 But above all things, my brothers, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath... 1 Peter 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. 1 The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth. 3 John 1:2 Context.

Good News Productions International and College Press Publishing. We may conjecture that, on account of the loyalty of Caius to St. John, there was so little intercourse between him and Diotrephes, that he would not even hear that St. John had written; that the greater part of the people of the place adhered for the present to Diotrephes, so that in addressing Caius St. John calls them "the church," and "them;" and, from 3John 1:11, that even now St. John did not think it superfluous to urge Caius not to follow the example of Diotrephes or submit to his influence.

Few books of the New Testament are so well attested as this Epistle.