GENERAL HISTORY, by The Story of God is a three-part video series produced by Dangerous Films featuring the physician Professor Lord Winston.It first aired on 4, 11 and 18 December 2005 on BBC One.It was rebroadcast by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in May and June 2006 and by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in April 2007.. Simple in its argument, complex in the array of detail marshalled to tell Armstrong's story. Howard Zinn, by She points out, for example, that all three trace their claims of Truth back to a single man, Abraham, who believed in a god named El, who is none of the three major monotheistic deities of the west. For example, she asserts that the creation myths of Sumeria, Canaan, and Egypt were not intended to explain the origins of the world. She sees the fundamentalism that has emerged in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam as dangerous, aggressive, and as a "retreat from God". Zinn starts out by depicting the arrival of Columbus in North America from the standpoint of the Indians (which amounts to their standpoint as constructed from the observations of the Europeans); and, after easily establishing the cultural disharmony that ensued, he goes on to the importation of slaves into the colonies. Karen Armstrong has no background in history nor in the academic study of religion, and it shows. was a nun in the early 1960's but left her convent in 1969 as part of the great wave that defected from religious life at that time. Each have intellec. This brief overview of A History of God tells you what you need to know—before or after you read Karen Armstrong’s book. Nonetheless, it was a helpful way to allow each group to see how the same major philosophical premises have encouraged similar developments in each religious community. Still, it is a very good guide to the development of mystical (rather than theological) thought in the three Abrahamic religions, and I recommend it especially for those who, like me, disagree with its final conclusions. BIOGRAPHY & MEMOIR | It’s written in 1994 and goes through 4000 years of history. Random House. I thought that once the review for this book was typed and posted, I had gotten done with it but it was not to be. She points out, for example, that all three trace their claims of Truth back to a single man, Abraham, who believed in a god named El, who is none of the three major monotheistic deities of. First, the author is overly generous in her assumptions concerning the literal interpretation of myth. It demands much attention and several rereads. Superb kaleidoscopic history of religion, from an English nun- turned-scholar. Having never taken a comparative religion class, and in fact bordering on an antiestablishment stance when it comes to organized religion, I can only conclude that this book was not the place to start. Immediately download the A History of God: The 4000-year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam summary, chapter-by-chapter analysis, book notes, essays, quotes, character descriptions, lesson plans, and more - everything you need for studying or teaching A History of God: The 4000-year Quest of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. In an extraordinary survey, Armstrong traces the development of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam from their inception to the present day, and shows how they were created and shaped by their historical surroundings—which, in turn, they helped form and alter. 298 pp. Karen Armstrong has no background in history nor in the academic study of religion, and it shows. There are major gaps in Armstrong's history—she pays little attention to the Christian churches of the 20th century—but she manages against the odds to provide an account that's thorough, intelligent, and highly readable. Karen Armstrong does an outstanding job of describing the rise of the world's three most important religions besides Hinduism, Buddhism and Confucianism. But for the amount of education you get out of it, the read is well worth it. The problem is that the author is really just retelling this history. To see what your friends thought of this book, I think some writers give such statements based on secondary sources than primary source like (Quran in case of Islam). In many ways this is reflective of Armstrong’s humanistic stance towards religion; Armstrong constantly upends the arguments of the literalists who dogmatically impose their interpretation of scripture on others, instead she promotes the idea that religion is fundamentally an internalization of our spiritualization, which we experience in our own individual ways and on. Elie Wiesel spent his early years in a small Transylvanian town as one of four children. Elie Wiesel There was still a clamor in my mind that I might not have done justice to the book with the review I put in. Armstrong includes the philosophes and mysticism that has been present in all three monotheistic religions over the centuries and clearly places the evolution in religious thought into its historical context. The author's youthfulness helps to assure the inevitable comparison with the Anne Frank diary although over and above the... by Over 700,000 copies of the original hardcover and paperback editions of this stunningly popular book have been sold. I haven't finished reading the book. HOLOCAUST |