Published in 1949, it is still astonishing today: a vivid, firsthand, philosophical tour de force. America's Public Lands: From Yellowstone to Smokey Bear and Beyond, Forest Dreams, Forest Nightmares: The Paradox of Old Growth in the Inland West (Weyerhaeuser Environmental Books), Ranching, Endangered Species, and Urbanization in the Southwest: Species of Capital (La Frontera: People and Their Environments in the US-Mexico Borderlands), Environmental Ethics: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions), Shadowlands: Fear and Freedom at the Oregon Standoff, A Sand County Almanac: And Sketches Here and There, American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon, The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1: Big Game, Wilderness and the American Mind: Fifth Edition. Here is his classic A Sand County Almanac, hailed––with Thoreau’s Walden and Carson’s Silent Spring––as one of the main literary influences on the modern environmental movement. Published in 1948, Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac has become an enduring and beloved American classic. Along with Sand County are more than fifty articles, essays, and lectures exploring the new complexities of ecological science and what we would now call environmental ethics. Natural history-Outdoor books. The first sustained study of Leopold's seminal book as well as a work of art, philosophy, and social commentary. A decade later, as our very concept of wilderness is changing, Warren frames Leopold’s work in the context of the Anthropocene. Great read and useful context for understanding U.S.A. environmental history, Reviewed in the United States on January 6, 2020. WELCOME, LET THE FUN BEGIN! But Aldo Leopold is fun, Reviewed in the United States on July 18, 2018. GRATEFUL ACKNOWLEDGMENT is made to the editors of the following magazines and Leopold’s sharp-eyed, often humorous journals are illustrated here for the first time with his original photographs, drawings, and maps. John Muir is okay if I'm reading about places where I've been and can get a sense of what it used to be like. Written as a series of sketches based principally upon the flora and fauna in a rural part of Wisconsin, the book, originally published by Oxford in 1949, gathers informal pieces written by Leopold over a forty-year period as he traveled through the woodlands of Wisconsin, Iowa, Arizona, Sonora, Oregon, Manitoba, and elsewhere; a final section addresses the philosophical issues involved in wildlife conservation. But soon after opening the first pages, I knew I had stumbled upon something special. In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. This unique title draws together in one volume some of the best thinking to date on the pressing social and environmental challenges we face as a society. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. First published in 1949 and praised in The New York Times Book Review as "a trenchant book, full of vigor and bite," A Sand County Almanac combines some of the finest nature writing since Thoreau with an outspoken and highly ethical regard for America's relationship to the land. Get Free A Sand County Almanac Textbook and unlimited access to our library by created an account. Edward Abbey I find to be a bit of a struggle. All of Aldo Leopold's children went on to become distinguished scientists and to devote themselves to a life of conservation; their work continues through the Aldo Leopold Foundation. You may say "well, it's so old, how can it have merit today?" I. They reflect as well two long canoe trips in Canada and a sojourn in Mexico, where Leopold hunted deer with bow and arrow. Reviewed in the United States on October 27, 2016. But Aldo Leopold is fun, funny, sarcastic, poetic, a pleasure to read and enjoy just for the pleasure of a good book. Interesting to contrast this book with more modern and contemporary writings about nature. Please try your request again later. Since his death in 1948, Aldo Leopold has been increasingly recognized as one of the indispensable figures of American environmentalism.