The second thing I appreciate about this passage in Isaiah is the striking assurance the author has in his faith. "Now without faith it is impossible to please God, for the one who draws near to Him must believe that He exists and rewards those who seek Him.". Twitter.com/MaxLucado, Follow Max Lucado on: Let them confront me. Verses 4 and 5 say that God has “opened our ears” and helps us to listen “like one being instructed.” Understanding God as a teacher is particularly helpful to me during Lent. FaithGateway is brought to you by HarperCollins Christian Publishing and is dedicated to helping you grow and share your faith. Your trusted source of Christian resources since 1891. Advent 3 Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24 John 1:6-8, 19-28 God of our … Waiting and faith go hand-in-hand. Thank You for abilities that make us diverse and beautiful in Your eyes. Come read a few prayers for our schools from Max Lucado's book Pocket Prayers for Teachers! Just wait. Are You Expecting Too Much of Your Pastor? Read more from Matt at www.tullos.org and wordspring.com. Waiting is still difficult. Thank You for the memories made with my students every day. Advent Devotional (Week 1): Faith. Their joy is infectious and their laughter contagious. I imagine almost everyone has a memory of Christmas Eve as a child; squeezing your eyes shut, trying with all your might to go to sleep on Christmas Eve. Father God, You have created so many gifts in this world. Many of us are waiting for the phone to ring so we can return to a job with a normal salary and benefits. Yet God finds ways of making us wait. CSB Holy Land Illustrated Bible (Hardcover). We want to hear from you! 8he who vindicates me is near. All Rights Reserved. Let your glory shine in their skills so we can celebrate the achievement of our students through Your mighty work. In Hebrews 11:13 we are reminded that faith involves trust in God's promise even if the promises of God are fulfilled long after we're gone. The place of love in my classroom and school 3 3. Thank You for the sweetness and goodness of children. Customer Service Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. CT Monday - Friday Phone: (800) 458-2772. What's the longest you've had to wait for something? The Wise Men from the east didn't see the Messiah to appear at their front door. What are you waiting on God for this year? Privacy Policy | Term and Conditions. Let the laughter of children resonate in their hearts. Advent & Lenten Devotions — 2013 Lent — A patient teacher. Express: Create a decorative graffiti poster of things you have faith God will do for you, your family, and your church in the coming year. Thank You for the talents You’ve so generously poured on my colleagues and me. Life on this earth is infinitesimally smaller than a second in the light of true eternity. God equips us with the Holy Spirit to be more like Christ. The “Advent season” … In verses 6-9, he is not fazed by oppression or by the opinions of others. The writer says, "These all died in faith without having received the promises, but they saw them from a distance ..." (Emphasis added.). Help my co-teachers tap into their talents and use them well. Are you struggling with His silence? Watch it grow and wait for it to become all that you dreamed it would be. Instagram.com/MaxLucado 7The Lord God helps me; therefore I have not been disgraced; therefore I have set my face like flint, and I know that I shall not be put to shame; We wait for the baby we've dreamed we'd hold in our arms. Fill my days with laughter and joy through hardship and uncertainty. Encourage: Encourage someone you know who is weary of waiting. See our holiday shipping schedule to receive your gifts on time. Jesus encouraged his frustrated followers this way: "If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will tell this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Who will contend with me? That's OK. We expect everything to be at our fingertips the moment we have the desire for it. A patient teacher. First, I love the beginning verses, because they remind me that God is also a teacher, committed to challenging us and making us Christ-like. Most of us try to grow a forest in one day. Billy Graham’s Advent Devotion, Week 1: Preparing to Celebrate Christ’s Birth The word Advent means arrival, and it refers to the arrival of Jesus Christ into the world. If you have kids, invite them be a part of the project. There is something about being emptied that leaves us more open to the possibility of learning and gaining the new wisdom God has to offer us. Week One focuses on how waiting on God can strengthen our faith in God and His promises. Please teach me to enjoy You and not just the blessings I see in Your hands. The Lord God has given me the tongue of a teacher, that I may know how to sustain the weary with a word. Week One focuses on how waiting on God can strengthen our faith in God and His promises. At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of Heaven?” Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of Heaven.” — Matthew 18:1-3. 6 Lord speak, for I am … For many in the U.S., it’s nearly the beginning of the school year. Are you willing to plant faith and wait upon God?