We tossed aside several different attempts, but when I saw how this cake baked up? Every time.

I did make some changes - I love almond, but I was making this as cupcakes for a group of 1, 2, and 4 year olds, so I left out the almond extract and doubled the vanilla. What if I don’t have a stand mixer, will a hand one work just as well? Hope this helps ! Nice cake, but if you are looking for authenticity, this is not it. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified.

No boxed mix. It comes out wonderful. I believe in everyday feasting!

A few comments: since I too was a bit confused about 1/2 lb (8oz) of the blanched almonds being 1 3/4 cup (it was more), I just used 1 3/4 c of the ground almonds. I've eaten my fair share of torta de Santiago.....this one is perfect! The consistency should be very thick, like mashed potatoes.

I baked the cake layers a day ahead. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Next, I tried a recipe from Diana Henry, whose almond cake calls for marzipan (basically the same as almond paste but sweeter) and fruit baked right in. This is better than the most expensive cakes I have had at weddings. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Still find it cloyingly sweet despite reducing sugar by 20g. This step took about 12-15 minutes. It’s not that I wasn’t excited about sharing it with you, or that it didn’t taste as good as the other treats we’ve been sharing. The recipe calls for no salt, which I think is absolutely necessary. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the surface with a spatula. The Best Cakes, Tarts, and Custards for Spring. With an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks with the sugar to a smooth pale cream. Fold the egg whites in gently. They asked me to keep making it. Hope this helps ! My. Everyone loved it. It’s a little treasure for anyone obsessed with food and learning how to cook instinctively. You want the mixture to emulsify and become thick, blended and creamy.

The cake batter turns into a lusciously smooth mixture that bakes up dense, moist and soft-textured. Instead of 1c flour i use 2/3c flour and 1/3 cocoa powder. or would that mess up the science and come out funky? Beat in the zests and almond extract. You must try this to believe how good it is. Store the plain (no icing) cake at room temperature, wrapped in plastic for 3 - 4 days. Add the butter and process for a full 2 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the workbowl if necessary.

Learn more... Sign up and I'll send you my free dinner plan cookbook! https://www.food.com/recipe/scandinavian-almond-cake-345913 We wanted a nice, thick layer of frosting on our almond cream cake. My family loves this cake, I will be making it again! This is my favorite cake recipe, great texture, crumb, very moist, but holds up when handling it to make larger wedding cakes. That means from scratch. Remove the pan from the heat and set the pan in a bowl of ice for 5-10 minutes to quicken the cooling process. I’d love it if you shared any other hints for homemade cakes or whipped frosting with us! Absolutely yummy. Try it as a tea cake or alongside your favorite seasonal fruit.

It makes the cake taller so I can easily split it to make it two layers. Wow, after reading a ton of the reviews on this, I expected a great cake. This can happen when you mistakenly add too much flour. This will help your cakes cool more quickly. YUM!! I have made a lot of cakes and this one really hits the spot. I searched for a delicious whipped frosting and came across this recipe that got rave reviews. I grated the lemon and orange skins to make the zest and I think that releases extra flavour. Before folding in the egg whites I didnt think it would work because the main mixture was so thick but it worked out fine. I have made this Whipped Cream Frosting for MANY years for my Red Velvet cakes. This cake came out beautifully!

I have a question though, I’m in the middle of trying to make this cake, and in the step before adding the egg whites, the “cake batter” seems more like a dough. Can I skip the carton and if so how many eggs whites would you suggest?

Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. This cake is easily made gluten-free by substituting a gluten-free flour blend for the all purpose. in Education and over 30 years of cooking and baking, I want to teach YOU the best of our family recipes. If you’re looking at this cake and happen to remember the pinkalicious cake we recently posted, you’ll think that we’re in an almond kind of mood. Copyright © 2020 — Familystyle Food • All rights reserved. I have done this several times now. I plan to try the full recipe, including separating the eggs to see if it makes a difference, but just know that it's still a delicious cake without those extra steps.

Thank you for sharing your family recipes! It's moist and flavourful. Most pan sizes will take roughly 1 hour. Allow the cakes to cool for 10 minutes, then loosen the edges and remove them from the pans to a wire rack, allowing them to cool completely. 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened, 1/4 cup almond paste, cut into half-inch pieces, 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting, Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy.

gendarmerie (the French police) arrest me for a counterfeit cake.

The starch in the cake flour helps to stabilize the cake.

Also, stir the frosting a few times while it is cooling. Pretty much any size cake (even a little 6" round) will take a minimum of 45 minutes. You can easily change out the white cake mix and almond flavoring and flavor it to your liking (Lemon cake mix w/ vanilla flavoring.. It's such a beautiful, tasty, sophisticated cake. No need to wash the mixer bowl, just mix cake and fold in whites when you n eed them! For a homemade cake, this one beat the rest.