"The expansion of our international reach will help make the interactive medium a global phenomenon and provide us with new opportunities to apply our scale, expertise and resources.". AOL offers Internet users services that include e-mail (the service’s “You’ve Got Mail” alert to subscribers became lodged in the popular culture), AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) software, AOL Video, video search, news, sports, weather, stock quotes, and MapQuest, an … Even though he’s still in elementary school, he’s already angling to take over the family business. You can do that by writing us on Twitter, Facebook or by email at [email protected] dot org. Activist investor Starboard Value turns its eye toward AOL. NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Those of us who can remember back to the early days of America Online probably recall that cringe-inducing modem sound and the "you've got mail" sound effect. Remember arguing with your mom or sibling over whose turn it was to hog the telephone line by logging onto AOL? Ever since that time, I wanted to know how to make that sound, how do they do that. We’re just excited to see what other people do. “If you need help with that, my husband, Elwood, does voice-overs,” she told me. And all the kids got up and tried it. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings. Bosco: Everything for us is family, you know? AOL.cobrand = "amp-bon-article"; Like, he had way more of a job than anybody that I’ve ever known. So check that out at tubemoji dot com. — 2009: Time Warner spins off AOL, ending a union widely viewed as one of the worst mergers in history. Jack: It's almost like you've got a secret identity, you know, a bit like a super hero? Maya: There was some learning to be done about what looks like work. Sign up for The Great Courses Plus and get a free month at thegreatcoursesplus.com/20k.Get a 14 day free trial of Zapier at zapier.com/20k.Check out and subscribe to Gastropod wherever you get your podcasts.Check out and subscribe to Just the Beginning wherever you get your podcasts. Elwood: Along with the history of all of this, AOL used to have an occasional, I guess it was an annual for a while, celebrity voice contest where users of the system could change from the default voice, mine, to the voice of various celebrities who had recorded the phrases as well. Think he could get it done by the end of the week?”, “He’ll do it tonight, she said. It doesn’t take any sort of gear or technology to use it. Bosco: I was in middle school at the time, and I would ride in my neighbor’s ’65 Impala, and he would play Zapp, “More Bounce the Ounce”, and then we would go to the skating rink and they would have breakdancing and popping competitions, and that was the main song for those competitions. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. She would be the one who would open up the conversations, and then people would have me perform, if you would. Receive full access to our market insights, commentary, newsletters, breaking news alerts, and more. Karen Edwards, one of the customer service team members, overheard me make the suggestion. Michael: So, why is he trying to reinvent it? Here are 17 things you should know about AOL since it went public in 1992 to now. Entertainment looked like kick it time to me. Now, he’s retired and sometimes makes extra money as an Uber driver. If I put it on my neck it goes through my neck and out of my mouth. If you can close your eyes and quickly conjure up the nostalgic sound of AOL. keys: {"pl2":"amp-bon-article","p_sec":"AOL News","p_subsec":"us","ver":"blogsmith","st_sec":"us.aolcomnews","pt":"content","pct":"story","paid":"aol_com_127=bsd:24283827","pstaid":"547d4c76-1e9d-3827-99f2-1698ab78f34c"}, dial-up and the iconic “You’ve got mail!” message, then you’re in good company.. You've Got Mail.