Reviewed in the United Kingdom on April 16, 2018, Having started and not finished several ‘recommended reads’ from a book club I have joined since retiring, I was a bit reluctant to spend money on another that might join that growing pile of unfinished hard copies. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. ), Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 18, 2016, I have been working for the subsidiary of a Danish company for over 11 years and in that time never really thought about Denmark. err.innerHTML = message; var validate_field = function(elem, remove) { It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. What’s with all the crime shows? This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Helen Russell was a high-flying glossy magazine editor before moving to rural Jutland in Denmark which, despite its long dark winters, is also statistically the happiest nation on earth. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Just thought I’d glance through it before wrapping. for (var i = 0; i < tooltips.length; i++) { Being Danish myself I read this book because I was curious on how an foreigner would perceive Denmark and the Danish people. Would you recommend this product to a friend? }; Or even Shakespeare and Metallica? } She now lives in rural Jutland and works as a Scandinavia correspondent for the Guardian, as well as writing a column on Denmark for the Telegraph. window._show_thank_you = function(id, message, trackcmp_url) { I was initially obsessed with getting my "hygge" on, but fell more in love with Denmark after reading this book! Monthly summaries bring it all together. I was expecting something that would be helpful; something I could apply to my life. Opened my eyes about Denmark! })(); You have entered an incorrect email address! After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 26, 2015. It’s probably the best book about living a year Danishly in the world but as I haven’t read it I can’t confirm that. } callback(); elem.className = elem.className + ' _has_error'; I'll let you know, it's a lot to do with something called Hygge". There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. I stopped reading about 1/2 way through and just skimmed the rest to see if it was going to offer any applications; it didn't. Thanks to her investigations into why Danes frequently rank as the happiest people in the world, I have a new appreciation for Danish pastries (in moderation), the value of allowing children to explore their world (not wrapped in bubble-wrap and sanitized), and the pitfalls (often hilarious) of trying to learn a new language. e.preventDefault(); addEvent(radios[i], 'click', function() { } else { }; for (var i = 0; i < elems.length; i++) { var elem = allInputs[i]; }); no_error = false; Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 2, 2017. Why did my Danish naval officer cousin suddenly get all protocol-like and deliver an official-sounding “Well, How long a vacation is too long for a couple…and might even initiate divorce? We’re more disconnected from ourselves and our loved ones than ever before. }; Being Danish myself I read this book because I was curious on how an foreigner would perceive Denmark and the Danish people. script.type = 'text/javascript'; } var fieldVal = getUrlParam(allInputs[i].dataset.name); func.apply(this, arguments); if (! } Echoes from the Past: A captivating historical come to life series (The Brigandshaw... God's Hammer: A Viking Age Novel (Hakon's Saga Book 1). These promotions will be applied to this item: Some promotions may be combined; others are not eligible to be combined with other offers. Were the author’s findings truthful, in your experience?? In “The Year Of Living Danishly” (PD 2015) by Helen Russell, the author offers us non-Danes some clues about living in the Happiest Country In The World. script.onload = script.onreadystatechange = function() { var serialized = _form_serialize(document.getElementById('_form_5_')); }); } else { var form = document.getElementById('_form_' + id + '_'), thank_you = form.querySelector('._form-thank-you'); Buy The Year of Living Danishly: Uncovering the Secrets of the World’s Happiest Country Reissue by Russell, Helen (ISBN: 8601423654485) from Amazon's Book Store. } Read with a pinch of salt - and a Danish pastry, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on September 26, 2017. Unable to add item to Wish List. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. if (elem.type != 'radio' && elem.type != 'checkbox') { I highly recommend it. (If it wasn’t something you couldn’t fake, I would almost think it was timed too perfectly for her book to be real, haha!) For example, that Danish women have the highest rates of lung cancer in the world? Reviewed in the United Kingdom on May 26, 2015. this.value = this.value.trim(); tooltip.tip.className = tooltip.tip.className.replace(/ ? } for (var i = 0; i < elem.options.length; i++) { Reviewed in the United Kingdom on July 2, 2017. if (no_error && elem.name == 'email') { if (!no_error) { tooltip.tip.className = tooltip.tip.className.replace(/ ? } • To order The Year of Living Danishly for £5.99 (RRP £8.99) go to bookshop.theguardian.com or call 0330 333 6846. Offer valid for new subscribers only. } Books similar to The Year of Living Danishly: My Twelve Months Unearthing the Secrets of the World's Happiest Country allInputs[i].dataset.name = window.cfields[results[1]]; Whether you want to g…. var doc = document.documentElement, scrollPosition = rect.top - ((window.pageYOffset || doc.scrollTop) - (doc.clientTop || 0)); Firstly they were not wrong, this is a well written book with some very thought provoking ideas. err ? if (!r && (!this.readyState || this.readyState == 'complete')) { } Very entertaining and has tons of useful information as well. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information. When Helen Russell is forced to move to rural Jutland, can she discover the secrets of their happiness? } var div = document.createElement('div'); Тама, ако некой ти каже: „Кам те ма, зел те гявол да те земе! tooltips[i].tip.parentNode.removeChild(tooltips[i].tip); (_above|_below) ?/g, '') + ' _below';