Used an air fryer oven and the listed cook time was accurate. I gave up fried foods because it is typically drenched in vegetable oil. Using an air fryer cuts out a ton of fat. HOW TO MAKE CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN IN THE AIR FRYER. Spray tops of chicken again. Click here to order the cookbook on Amazon! Take your fried chicken to a healthier level with this buttermilk air fried chicken. Spray the top of each chicken thigh with cooking spray. Do what works best for you. I load the wings in the air fryer on one level, careful not to overfill the basket. Combine the flour, chicken seasoning, salt and pepper in a bowl large enough to dredge the chicken. I’ve tried many “fried” chicken recipes that use the oven to avoid all that frying. I grew up eating fried food. The buttermilk will help break down the protein in the chicken without toughening up the meat. My son has Celiac disease. Air Fryer Buttermilk Fried Chicken is a traditional, Southern soul food recipe. Then continue with the breading steps. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Fresh always will work better. Back to Amazing Buttermilk Air Fried Chicken. This is the best air fried chicken I have had so far. The results are crispy, crunchy fried wings. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Use a meat thermometer to test the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. You can use 1/4 cup of milk plus 1 tablespoon of either white vinegar or lemon juice. The secret to making air fried chicken that tastes just as good as frying is to marinate the chicken with buttermilk and spices and to bread it with a mixture of flour and corn starch.. If you have trouble with getting the chicken to crisp, spritz more oil. It’s how I was taught to make fried chicken… Turn chicken thighs and fry until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, an additional 10 minutes. Spray both sides. Good flavor, but am wondering if the number of steps could be shortened with similar results. The chicken wings are brined with buttermilk, breaded, and seasoned to perfection. You may also enjoy my Air Fryer Fried Pork Chops, Air Fryer Homemade French Fries, and Air Fryer Panko Breaded Shrimp recipes. Combine buttermilk and hot sauce in a shallow dish; mix to combine. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Listen. Dip back into the buttermilk, then coat with panko bread crumbs. Mix flour, seasoned salt, and pepper in a large gallon-sized resealable bag. Cook in batches if necessary. Amount is based on available nutrient data. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Use a spoon to get areas of the chicken wing that were missed. Seriously so good!! Arrange 1/2 of the chicken thighs in the basket, making sure none are touching. Ensure both sides of the chicken are fully coated. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. I may even get rid of my deep fryer. Buttermilk is slightly acidic, which helps tenderize chicken when you soak it in it. This post contains affiliate links. Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper. I don’t even think my husband came up for air when I first made it! This is easily the best chicken recipe I’ve ever made. Air Fryer Chicken Fil-A SandwichAir Fryer Chicken NuggetsAir Fryer Chicken TendersAir Fryer Chicken BreastAir Fryer Chicken Thighs, Air Fryer Potato WedgesAir Fryer Sweet Potato FriesAir Fryer Baked Potatoes. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Stir and mix well. Do you think I could use corn starch instead of flour? Cool before serving. You could always omit the breading and air fry them without it. The chicken can be coated and air fried immediately or you can cover and refrigerate it and allow the chicken to marinate in the buttermilk mixture for up to 24 hours. Pat the chicken wings dry and add them to a large bowl. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition