Everyone suffers - that’s the lot of humans in a fallen world. There is nothing lacking in the afflictions of Christ, except the individual afflictions which we all have and which we can put to good use by joining ours to His, thereby giving our sufferings redemptive value. Cf. Striving. What is St. Paul talking about here? I think that there has always been a “theology of suffering” within the Church. google_ad_slot = "2022907462"; Also, John Paul II wrote a whole letter on practically just this verse: Salvifici Doloris (The Christian Meaning of Human Suffering) February 11, 1984 [Apostolic Letter]. (St. Chrysostom) — The wisdom, the will, the justice of Jesus Christ, requireth and ordaineth that his body and members should be companions of his sufferings, as they expect to be companions of his glory; that so suffering with him, and after his example, they may apply to their own wants and to the necessities of others the merits and satisfaction of Jesus Christ, which application is what is wanting, and what we are permitted to supply by the sacraments and sacrifice of the new law. 24. 4 I say this to make sure that no one deceives you with specious arguments.. 5 I may be absent in body, but in spirit I am there among you, delighted to find how well-ordered you are and to see how firm your faith in Christ is.. 6 So then, as you received Jesus as Lord and Christ, now live your lives in him,. Colossians: Chapter 1 >>> Brief Overview of Colossians - The Douay Rheims Catholic Bible The content of Colossians according to the Douay Rheims Roman Catholic Bible scriptures contains a short overview of the main subjects, people, events and ancient topics in the following summary of the Douay Rheims Roman Catholic Bible Scriptures: For official apologetics resources please visit. What’s lacking? in Ps. Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled, : The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. Can someone explain this passage a bit for me. There are even large print Catholic Bibles and Family Catholic Bibles including some beautiful Children's Bibles. Short Summary of Colossians - The Bible Stories of Colossians taken from the ScripturesA short summary of the Bible Stories of Colossians taken from the Scriptures. You can do a goggle search on the title to get it from the Vatican website. Bishop Challoner gives this footnote in my Bible: 24 “Wanting”… There is no want in the sufferings of Christ in himself as head: but many sufferings are still wanting, or are still to come, in his body the church, and his members the faithful. Now I rejoice, etc. This is perfectly good Catholic theology and has been so from the beginning, as attested here by Paul. 3 We give thanks for you to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, continually in our prayers, This summary of scriptural text is also very useful for Catholic Sunday School lessons and Roman Catholic Bible Study at home. ( Log Out /  on 1 Thessalonians (Complete), Fr. There is nothing that anyone can add to the infinite value of the cross. Includes verse 29. St. Paul writes, “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for … [5] Nothing was wanting in the sufferings or merits of Christ, for a sufficient and superabundant redemption of mankind, and therefore he adds, for his body, which is the church, that his sufferings were wanting, and are to be endured by the example of Christ by the faithful, who are members of a crucified head. Through this co-operative work of mercy, we also may offer up our own sufferings so that grace may be extended to those who are not yet on the road to becoming worthy. Learn how your comment data is processed. St. Paul writes, “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for … Now I rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up those things that are wanting of the sufferings of Christ, in my flesh, for his body, which is the church. Is there anything from the Fathers or any later or even modern Catholic theologians on this? Callan’s brief summary of verses 24-29, followed by more detailed notes. Better, “fill up on my part (ανταναπληρω) those things, etc.” The Apostle does not mean to say that his labors and sufferings on behalf of the Gospel added anything to the efficacy and satisfactory value of Christ’s atoning sacrifice and death on the cross, which, being superabundant and infinite, were more than sufficient for the redemption of all mankind, and of many more worlds than ours (St. Thomas). That it’s expected, because it’s not easy to do the right thing always…? I would like to hear more opinions too. on Romans (Complete), Fr Callan’s Comm. Callan’s brief summary of verses 24-29, followed by more detailed notes, Commentaries on the Sunday Mass Readings of the Extraordinary Form, Scripture Index for the Extraordinary Form, Fr. For an extended modern view of what suffering is and what part suffering plays on our lives as Christians see Pope John Paul II’s apostolic letter On the Christian Meaning of Human Suffering (Salvifici doloris). Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. It was put to me in my RCIA class that suffering is a redemptive force, and Colossians 1:24 was cited as evidence. […]. Christ’s passion on the cross was totally sufficient to save all men; for whatever reason, God chose to permit each one of us participate in Jesus’s work for our salvation. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. Didn’t mean to kill the thread! This is the obvious and natural meaning of this great passage. Whom we preach, admonishing every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus. But by “the sufferings of Christ” he means here the fatigue, labors, persecutions, and the like, endured by our Lord in His public life and ministry, which, as they were the lot of Christ, the head, during His brief mortal existence, must also be the lot of His mystical body, the Church, till the end of time; it is these sufferings of Christ’s mystical body that must be supplied by the Apostles and their true followers throughout the history of the Church.