I'm Alex, a food lover sharing healthy, simple, delicious, recipes from my kitchen to yours. I was so pleasantly surprised how wonderful my Smithfield All Natural Fresh Pork Shoulder Picnic cooked up in the slow cooker. That will replace the citrus and the sweetness of the orange! Slow Cooker Carnitas with Mango Avocado Salsa- a simple, tasty recipe for making tender, juicy, perfectly cooked carnitas in your slow cooker! Thank you for stopping by to let me know. 10 minutes of prep time + an afternoon in the crock pot = a delicious a home cooked meal that your family will love! Yum. Spread the shredded pork in an even layer on the baking sheet. If you are not planning on using all in one meal, would you only broil what you’re using? Dinner tonight, Chicken Carnitas and bean burritos for lunch. One of the best things in life is a big, classic juicy burger and today– that is just what we are talking about with these Juicy Indoor Burgers with Burger Sauce. She taught me everything I know in the kitchen. This is truly a winner! We’ve made this twice now and really love it! These are some of my favorite kitchen items I use almost everyday. Serve with tacos, burritos, salads, or burrito bowls! Already drooling for dinner. Thanks, Charbel! Question – any suggestions for what I can use all the beautiful broth in the pressure cooker for? Ingredients 4 pounds (2 kg) boneless pork shoulder (pork butt), trimmed of any excess fat 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoon dried oregano 1 tablespoon ground cumin 1 tablespoon paprika … Broil for 5-10 minutes or until you get lightly browned edges on the chicken. ? These look really good, and yes I agree it seems like the searing step really makes a big difference in the final texture, you can see the crispy bits on the outside which I love. Welcome! And it’s SO easy that you’ll love making it for them! Clayton claims “if you are going to take the time to make a drink you might as well make it strong.” So, yeah. Recipe is officially changed to broiling in the juices! The shoulder roast will need to cook at a low temperature for a long duration to become tender, juicy and oh so flavorful! She’s one of my favorite people to follow on instagram, her joy is infectious. I love dropping off a meal to new parents, someone who lost a loved one, or a dear friend who is a little down. Hope you get a chance to give them a try! Thanks, Erin! I actually didn’t even shred this. In my NYT Bestseller, The Defined Dish: Healthy and Wholesome Weeknights, I share 100 of my favorite simple and healthy recipes that will make busy weeknights much tastier and easier than ever! Almost done! I made it with cilantro lime rice and some pico de galo I made. I am always looking for new slow cooker recipes. Don’t forget to bring all the serving toppings as well! Hi Mary! How much long white rice did you add to make soup out of the broth? Yes, the salsa adds a little sweet to the savory, which I LOVE! They’re tender, but crispy and oh so, so, so yummy. Scroll down to the bottom of the post, where you can nominate someone who embraces compassion, care and commitment in their community by entering the #SmithfieldCares Sweepstakes. Check out another delicious recipe, using Smithfield All Natural Pork! This recipe will definitely be in our rotation. Thanks Kylie! My daughter and I ate it as a bowl with lettuce, cilantro lime rice, beans and avocado while my hub and son had burritos. #SmithfieldCares #CollectiveBias. I can’t wait to dig in to this recipe! Oh and, I LOVE ALL YOUR RECIPES!! Uncategorized. I love you and all your yummy recipes!! The images are mega drool worthy :). I love all the bright flavors that would be just perfect on one of my game day spreads. Could this all be made into a freezer meal? Don’t rush the carnitas! You can’t go wrong. However, these carnitas are also DELICIOUS in enchiladas, quesadillas or flautas as well! These slow cooker carnitas with mango avocado salsa are legit! To me, there is something about the casual nature of grilling out that translates into an instant party. Chicken Carnitas … All that’s left to do is sit back and watch your family marvel at what they’re eating. *face palm* I forgot to take the pork out of the freezer. Just made this tonight and it was amazing. Delish but for the kids I only put 1. crispy slow cooker carnitas Crispy pork carnitas is tender and juicy on the inside and crisp on the edges, making it the perfect protein to put in your tacos… I’m going to make this tonight! I love using my slow cooker this time of the year and your carnitas recipe sounds amazing!! Star- this recipe is amazingly easy & so so delicious! I cooked this today for the family…I am a Mexican living in Canada, so I live for preparing anything that will make me feel like back home… These carnitas are pretty delicious! Transfer to the insert of a large slow cooker. Available now! Definitely don’t skip the fresh cilantro and squeeze of lime right before serving! These will be perfect for a backyard bbq I can’t wait to make them! 4-5 pound Smithfield All Natural Fresh Pork Shoulder Picnic, excess fat trimmed, cut into smaller chunks (about 1-3 inches). This dish has quickly become one of my husband’s most-requested and is one of my personal favorites, too. Yesss! Discard all but 1 cup of the cooking liquid. I do a version in the crock pot. Hope you are well!!!! They may not be completely authentic, but they were definitely delicious! Is it possible I overcooked it, and would that make it dry even though it’s cooking in all that broth? Use two forks to shred the meat into bite-sized pieces, and then use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the prepared baking sheet, spreading the pork in an even layer and leaving the juices behind in the slow cooker. sign up for the defined dish newsletter & receive exclusive content straight to your inbox, Sour Cream and Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas. Smithfield All Natural Fresh Pork Shoulder Picnic is naturally tender and juicy without added steroids, hormones or artificial ingredients. I’d add a bit of lime juice and honey in place of the orange! Mexican chicken and rice. Husband & daughter both said, definitely make these again! Honestly, I just dip my measuring spoon in and kind of smoosh and push the pepper’s around til my spoon is full. paleo chili pie. The most important parts in this recipe will be shredding it lightly and crisping it up a bit in the oven. Hi Starr! Had this on my try list, made them today for family dinner, they are fabulous!! What a great way to help a friend! This one looks awesome! Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, and give the mixture a stir to combine. I’m always looking for slow cooker recipes. How did you get you tortillas so crispy? I made this last night, and it was amazing! Kids love playing outside while eating hot dogs or hamburgers fresh off the grill, while adults can enjoy conversation and cocktails over a barbecued chicken or steak. Sear the roast in oil, cooking each side for about 1-2 minutes or until the entire outside of the roast is seared nice and dark golden brown. I forgot to put it in the crockpot so I put it in my Fagor Pressure Cooker on high for 10 minutes and it came out great! And my favorite is leftovers – yum! I am wanting to try 5his recipe but I was wondering if there was a way to modify the spiceyness.. Keywords: crispy pork carnitas, authentic carnitas, shredded pork carnitas. Once your brisket is complete, keep warm in your crockpot and transfer to your friend. I gave exact measurements to help you out if you buy prechopped. Can’t WAIT to make this!! Who in your life goes above and beyond? My whole family loved these and I will definitely make again! Transfer your mexican picadillo in your crockpot or large pot and allow your friend to reheat and serve! Has anyone tried this in this the Instant Pot? If using the slow cooker method, transfer in that! Stir together well and set slow cooker to low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. By now you’ve heard me talk about The Defined Dish cookbook and blog, one million times. Use two forks to shred the pork, discarding the gristle and bones. Not only did my husband and I devour it, but so did my kids! The possibilities for a really delicious chicken like this are practically endless. Star- This recipe is delicious! Learn how your comment data is processed. She’s also honest about her struggle with anxiety and how food can help keep that at bay.