Although the Spanish verb tener literally means “to have,” in some very commonly used Spanish idiomatic expressions, tener means “to be” or may have another, unexpected meaning. If there were a Top 10 list for Spanish verbs made versatile through idioms, tener would certainly be in that list.A wealth of phrases using tener are often used to indicate emotions or states of being, and in many of those tener can be translated as "to be" rather than the more literal "to have." Yo le estoy agradecida porque me dio de beber cuando yo moría de sed. “to strike the hour”; said when a clock starts to chime on the hour… sometimes written as dar la media hora "to ring the half-hour" which is more common on older clocks], dar gato por liebre = to swindle / to bait-and-switch (someone) [lit. La policía buscó toda la noche y al fin dieron con el secuestrador. “to give the note”; instead of sobresalir or destacar “to stand out”, making it more informal], dar en el blanco / dar en la diana / dar en el clavo = to hit the mark/bulls-eye [lit. El reloj de la iglesia dio las 3 de la tarde. Y Idiomatic Expressions with Dar / Darse Just like with tener , the Spanish verb dar and by extension, darse , is not only extremely useful, but also highly irregular. Idiomatic Expressions Translation – Spanish Language Below are some of the Idiomatic Expressions used in Spanish Language and their translation. Exam 1 Spanish 277. Él puede estar muy cansado pero no se da por vencido. R “to hit the target”, “to hit the bulls-eye”, “to hit the nail”], dar el siguiente paso = to take the next step, dar calabaza / dar calabazas = to ignore / to put off / to procrastinate OR to give (someone) the cold shoulder [lit. Expresiones con TENER Expressions With TENER: Complete the sentence with the appropriate idiomatic expression with tener. Karla dio brincos de alegría cuando se graduó. “to give (someone) something to do”; it’s sometimes written as dar quehacer because el quehacer is “a chore”], dar una vuelta = to spin OR to take a walk, dar cuerda a = to wind (a toy or music box) OR to give someone something to talk about [lit. M “to give cord to”, in the sense of winding a toy or a music box; sometimes dar cuerda a takes an indirect object where it means “to encourage” or “to motivate” someone], dar por muerto/a = to consider someone to be dead [gendered ending dependent upon whomever is assumed to be dead], dar razón = to give an account [lit. V F Ese nuevo presidente dio al trasto con el gobierno. O “to give pumpkin(s)”; when it’s talking about a person it becomes “to not give someone the time of day” or something like that… and often takes an indirect object when it’s a person… but when it’s an inanimate object, no indirect object marker is required… I assume pumpkins were peasant food and that’s why(? “to consider oneself beaten/vanquished/defeated”; the ending for vencido/a depends on the gender of the one talking], darse por aludido/a = to take something personally / to take offense [lit. dar la cara to take responsibility, to face La adolescente robó el vestido y ahora tiene que dar la cara y devolverlo. Expressions using tener are also quite common. Pablo tiene dos años.Notice that the expressions combine the verb tener with a “to give words / reason”; often in the sense of telling someone their version of a thing that’s happened], dar largas = to dawdle / to procrastinate / to take one’s time [lit. Al terminar el partido tienen que darse la mano. Ellas tienen ganas de dar una vuelta por la ciudad. ... Idiomatic Verbal Phrases. By extension, some expressions like dar una paliza "to give a beating" are sometimes seen as dar de palo “to give a beating”… where it’s more literally “to beat with a stick”. Ella se da ínfulas de persona de la alta sociedad. B Review expressions with tener: Cuando ella perdió al niño daba gritos desconsolada. dar con alguien (algo) to meet, to come upon, to find someone (something) dar de comer a. to feed. S El bate salió volando y le dio en la cabeza. 216 terms. Review expressions with tener: K La adolescente robó el vestido y ahora tiene que dar la cara y devolverlo. N E Free resources to help you enjoy learning Spanish quickly. This won’t be all of them, so if there are some that I miss that you’d like to add, feel free to add them and/or give context. Just like with tener, the Spanish verb dar and by extension, darse, is not only extremely useful, but also highly irregular. U P Alicia dio a hecho todos mis esfuerzos por ella. Mi papá me dio carta blanca para representarlo en sus compromisos. For instance dar en el suelo is “to drop to the ground”, literally “to hit against the ground”. Mi novio y yo dimos un paseo por el parque anoche. However, taking some time to go over key expressions that use this versatile verb has a … PLAY. Yo di por sentado que él ya no me llamaría. “to give hardship”; conjugates like gustar], dar vueltas a = to agonize over [lit. Matilda le dio calabazas a mi primo Paco. STUDY. Queremos darle la bienvenida a los nuevos miembros de nuestro grupo. To use these expressions, it’s necessary to know the forms of dar in the tense you require. We offer free self-study courses for students of all levels. The Importance of Studying Tener If you already know that tener is the infinitive form of the verb “to have,” you may be tempted to congratulate yourself and put the more challenging stuff on the back burner.. Tú tienes ocho años. “gives (feelings of) revulsion”; conjugates like gustar], dar apuro = to embarrass / to feel uncomfortable [lit. Another example is dando y dando, pajarito volando which is an expression meaning, “You scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours.” The dar here refers to two people “(wings) beating”… meaning “it takes two wings to fly” in a way. L Idiomatic Uses of Tener. “to give a test”; probably the reasoning is because when a student is done, they “hand in” their test; this expression is considered incorrect in some countries because it’s very much a regional thing, but it’s very commonly explained as “to sit for an exam”], dar expressions that use an indirect object, Note: When I say “conjugates like gustar” I mean that it’s similar to gustar where if it's gusta or gustan depends on if the noun is singular or plural so…, It can be a bit strange at first, but just think back to gustar if that helps, dar las ganas = to feel like [conjugates like gustar; so lo que me dé las ganas "whatever I feel like"], dar pena = to feel pity / to be saddened [conjugates like gustar], dar asco = to disgust / to revolt [lit. Learning Spanish should be fun. Q El nuevo asistente tiene que darle cuenta de su trabajo a la gerente de mercadeo. Pudimos llegar donde estaba ya que dio voces desde abajo. J “to give long (something)”; it usually means something like “prolonging” or not acting right away], dar la nota = to stand out [lit. Many of them would not be understood by English speakers to indicate possession, although they often can be thought of as referring to to the having of various emotions and feelings. My name is LaDragonaria and this is a blog dedicated to the Spanish language and those who want to learn it. Start studying dar & tener- idiomatic expressions. Cuando vino con olor a perfume me dio qué pensar. Hundreds of Spanish worksheets from which to choose. The teenage girl stole the dress and now she has to take responsibility and return it.