I have an electric blanket and I love it! Get a product made in USA. Proven fact, "Heat Rises". If your blanket unexpectedly stops working, some simple troubleshooting may provide an easy solution to your dilemma. Take proper care of your blanket during washing and storage. How Much Does It Cost to Run an Electric Blanket? After thorough research, you may have taken the decision to invest in an electric blanket to help you get through those cold winter months and save on energy costs in the process. They usually come with a cover. Check the all the connections between the wall, the plug at the base of the blanket, and then again from the top of the blanket for the controller. However, the dry cleaning process uses a lot of chemicals which can damage the blanket and, for that reason, they should not be dry cleaned. You wash the cover - not the the blanket itself. You can sign in to vote the answer. At least 25 million Americans use electric blankets each year, estimates the Electric Blanket Institute, a consumer guide. Then, rinse in … You are not supposed to wash electric blankets. Electric Blanket Institute: General Information. Check that the electric blanket cord is firmly attached to the blanket. Shake it: If it’s possible, take it outside and shake vigorously to dislodge as much debris as possible. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Why is the steam wand on my sunbeam coffee machine not working? An electric blanket will provide toasty warmth even on the most bitter cold evenings. The answer is that they differ quite a bit in how they work. Is it okay if I mix bleach and ammonia to clean my bathroom? If washing by hand, remember that this is a very delicate item because of the internal heating wires. Help!? If the blanket still does not come on after ensuring that it's plugged in, try a different electrical socket to make sure that the problem isn't with the outlet itself. If your electric blanket has stopped suddenly working, check a few things on the blanket and controller before contacting the manufacturer for a replacement, or purchasing a new product. There is a very simple answer. Electric blankets keep you nice and cosy on cold winter nights. Electric blankets warm the bed through wires than run through the blanket. Beyond the long-term health consequences associated with the use of electric blankets, there are also clear and present dangers associated in real-time with their use. Make certain that the blanket hasn't shut off due to an automatic timer. Never use clothespins to secure the blanket to a drying line. Attaching silicone/mousepad on clothes how? 3. Cycle through the settings to reset the timer, which should start the heating process again. If it is, then turn it to the off position and then back on to see if this fixes the problem. The blanket should never be folded as this may cause the wires inside to break. Use Electric Blankets With an Adjustable Bed. If there isn't electricity flowing into your washer you'll need to check your household electrical panel to see if any circuit breakers may have been tripped. The key is how you handle the blanket during the process. Verify that the electric blanket is plugged into the wall. Kimberly Johnson is a freelance writer whose articles have appeared in various online publications including eHow, Suite101 and Examiner. they have a lot of wiring and connections inside of them that can get easily damages. As with any other similar item, the blanket may have wrinkles or crease marks appear. Modern electric blankets come equipped with an automatic shut-off switch, which turns the electric blanket off after 12 hours from the last adjustment. 1. It is very important therefore that you strictly follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and care and at the same time, use some common sense techniques to ensure that the blanket is not damaged and remains in working condition for a long time. Check the circuit breaker for tripped lines. Then, soak the blanket for 10-15 minutes in cold or warm water, depending on the manufacturer's instructions. For this, you’ve got a few options. Take proper care of your blanket during washing and storage. Hopefully you are not putting them in dryer to dry. Stop the machine after several minutes of washing and forward it to the rinse cycle. it could be either where you connect the cable to the blanket or a short in the wires that run around the blanket to heat it up. Bending the wires and coils inside the blanket damages the performance of your blanket. Most electric heated blankets, to the surprise of many, can be washed in a machine and dried in a dryer. When I wash my electric blanket which is once a year I wash on gentle cycle and let it air dry and I have had the same one for over 10 years. Get your answers by asking now. However, as with everything else, there is a right way and wrong way to use and care for your electric blankets. So the proper step now is to trash the blanket and get a new one. If your electric blanket has stopped suddenly working, check a few things on the blanket and controller before contacting the manufacturer for a replacement, or purchasing a new product. Pull the plug out of the blanket attachment and look to see if any dirt or debris has got into the plug or on the cord that plugs into the blanket. Although modern electric blankets are made with much better technology than those of just a few years ago, they do occasionally exhibit problems. It’s time for a new blanket. Electric blankets keep you nice and cosy on cold winter nights. How To Wash Electric Blankets Properly. Purchase a new electric cord as the old one may not be functioning properly. http://www.orkut.co.in/Application.aspx?appId=1027... http://s3.amazonaws.com/minglebox-static-test/love... Been troubleshooting itchy clothing after washing for years, tried EVERYTHING!? This should not be damaged in any way, so therefore you should agitate it as little as possible and then carefully rinse. if I put my clothes on the delicate cycle in the washing machine would my clothes last longer .