Cheese -making and -eating had certainly spread (sorry, I couldn’t resist the pun) into Europe by the time of the Roman Empire. Next on our top 5 fun facts about French cheese is the fact that each cheese is typical of a region of France, and is the pride and the joy of its inhabitants. But there are a few cheeses that you should be familiar with, whether you want to eat them or not. My French husband will eat just about any cheese, but he really savors chèvre. But mimolette, a French cheese from Lille, is considered a delicacy to cheese … That’s why they’re generally respected by French people as the real deal.

I’ve experienced this firsthand, many times. The “plateau de fromage“, the cheese board, should propose at least three variety with among them a cooked cheese, a veined cheese and a soft cheese with a rind. With over 700 different varieties produced in the country today, France is the ideal destination for turophiles – otherwise known as ‘lovers of cheese’. I love to discover new places in Lyon and France, spend time actively and also lazy and smile to myself and life each day! will take place in 2017 in the Loire Valley of central France. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. If you are more ambitions you should consider c, The 6.9 billion euros of exported dairy products are divided into:Â. French Cheese Etiquette. Here I found the easy to understand the way you should eat and cut the cheese. Chèvre can be found in any grocery store and is an alternative to the less pungent cow milk cheeses that are on the list. Let Me Present You Just Eat. There is no exact information regarding the origin of cheese, but archaeological studies have shown the origin of cheese …

As fascinating as it is…let me summarize my observations about French cheese in the List of 25 Interesting Facts About French Cheese.. 26 kilos of cheese each year means that a typical French man/women will eat half a kilo of cheese per week and that means 70 grammes a day. If the cheese is cut before the maturing process, it will never develop properly. I’ve now shared with you our top 5 fun facts about French cheese! In France, Brie is very different from the cheese … This makes French people I know laugh. Raclette is more than just a meal, though – it’s considered a fun, convivial experience. From popular Cheddar to exotic Shanklish and from soft to firm cheeses, you can find information such as Flavour, Rind, Producers, Fat Content, Type and Country of Origin. So if you’re with a group of French people and you also indulge in a stinky slice, don’t worry – no one will judge you for your smelly breath. France has a perfect climate and geographical location which makes it possible to locally manufacture most types of foods enjoyed anywhere else. The name French word Chaumes literally translates to ‘stubble’. That literally translates to, “to make all of a cheese out of it.” But what it really means is “ to make a big fuss about something.”. Fact 1. But like I said, even that impressive amount is actually a low estimate. Louis Pasteur developed the pasteurisation process in the 1860s, which, according to the Enotes.com article on cheese production, greatly influenced the distribution of cheeses. Use our large database to learn more about your favourite dairy! Here are 28 Cheese facts. In France, Brie is very different from the cheese exported to the United States. On the other hand, if you don’t like smelling your own stinky breath, that can be a problem. That’s why you will never see a French person tucking into a bowl of bright-orange-colored cheese found in American products like instant macaroni and cheese or Cheez-Whiz. The reason for this staggering amount is that, in addition to some fundamental differences that clearly reflect a cheese’s taste (for example, you can’t really confuse camembert and roquefort), dairies, industrial production lines, and artisanal cheesemakers will often tweak a basic recipe to create a slight variation.
Most of the time, cheese is eaten on its own, although some people may add a bit of butter to make the taste less strong, or eat cheese along with fruit, wine, or nuts. Cheese is so important in France, both culinarily and culturally, that you’d think it had been invented there. Although U.S. regulations encourage pasteurisation, French cheeses distributed in European "fromageries" (cheese shops) are often unpasteurised, but safe to eat. Lots of French people enjoy having a good raclette with friends and family now and then – but like many French meals, this one comes with rules. Storing cheese in caves, whether natural or man-made, helps to age them and imparts another level of flavor. That’s why for them, the best cheeses have presence! It won. Nicole contributes regularly at Breaking Muscle and has also written for "Paleo Magazine," The Bump and Fit Bottomed Mamas. Instead, the cheese plate comes at the end. And what is more, I would even say that other countries (Poland…England with its cheddar for example) get the cheese totally wrong. French cheese is protected in France by the Appellation d’Origine Protégé (AOP), along with champagne. According to Frenchcheese.co.uk, the real development of French cheese began in the Middle Ages, in French monasteries. Rennet is an enzyme found in the stomach of young animals. On the other hand, camembert and the very internationally popular brie are soft cheeses – that is, when you cut their rind, you’ll discover  a thick liquid or paste. Trust me. Several hundred years ago, Brie was one of the tributes which had to be paid to the French kings.
The list originated at Cheese-france.com's 10 Most Popular Cheeses.