He could only swear by the God of his father Isaac. I can see arguments for both. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy.

xxiv. Nahor. NEW CONTENT ADDED Sept 16, 2020: We added the most recent volumes available for all the existing journals and added the new Eikon journal. - Genesis 22:24He loaded ten of Abraham's camels with gifts and set out, taking with him the best of everything his master owned. ", 31. The “God of Abraham” is a synonym for “God of Nahor”.

In this passage, Jacob had fled from Laban (Nahor’s grandson) with his wives. In this chapter the name is used in the broader sense, and refers primarily to the northern half of the mountains (above the Jabbok); for Jacob did not cross the Jabbok till afterwards (Genesis 32:23-24). He married Milcah his niece in Ur of the Chaldees, Genesis 11:26 ,29, but seems to have transferred his residence to Haran, Genesis 24:10 27:43.

יבק yaboq, Jabboq; related: בקק bāqaq "gush or gurgle out" or אבק 'ābaq in niphal, "wrestle." Commenting on this same verse Dr. Jamieson says, “It is observable that there was a marked difference in the religious sentiments of the two. King James Version (KJV).

Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.

Joshua 24:2.

End of story. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader.

"To come back to Earth...it can be five times the force of gravity" - video editiors mistake?

When Terah was 70 years old, he became the father of Abram.

He also had plenty of children: twelve in all, one fewer than Jacob’s named children and more than Abraham’s eight. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Yet it seems that Nahor did have some relationship with the Lord, hence the name, God of Nahor. In Genesis 31:53, Laban sets up a boundary marker between his land and Jacob's and says: The God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge between us. Is Eliezer Abraham’s Servant in Genesis 24? because, as Laban, who spoke first, as being the elder, explained, the heap was to be a "witness between him and Jacob."

29. The “God of Abraham” is a synonym for “God of Nahor”. In verse 5 Jacob refers to God as the God of his father. The God of Abraham, and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge betwixt us.

“The God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge between us.”. Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers, Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament.

The Book of Joshua resolves this conflict unambiguously: Joshua said to all the people, “This is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘Long ago your ancestors, including Terah the father of Abraham and Nahor, lived beyond the Euphrates River and worshiped other gods. - Genesis 11:26This is the history of Terah's family.

מחנים machănāyı̂m, Machanaim, "two camps.". Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

Why does mizpah signify an emotional bond? - Genesis 11:22 After the birth of Nahor, Serug lived another 200 years and had other sons and daughters.- Genesis 11:23 When Nahor was 29 years old, his son Terah was born. We know little about him, but he remained in Haran while Abraham obeyed God and moved to Canaan. The God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge between us. Nahor may not be a prominent biblical figure, but this verse in Genesis 24 caught my attention: Then the servant left, taking with him ten of his master’s camels loaded with all kinds of good things from his master. The God of Abraham and the God of Nahor, the God of their father, judge between us.” So Jacob swore by the fear of his father Isaac.

- Genesis 11:24After the birth of Terah, Nahor lived another 119 years and had other sons and daughters. Where should small utility programs store their preferences? You may also enjoy my.

He is the first figure in the Torah to be named for an ancestor, his grandfather: Nahor, the son of Serug.

Is it ok to place 220V AC traces on my Arduino PCB? To this covenant, in which Laban, according to his polytheistic views, placed the God of Abraham upon the same level with the God of Nahor and Terah, Jacob swore by "the Fear of Isaac" (Genesis 31:42), the God who was worshipped by his father with sacred awe. No man is with us, behold God is witness between me and thee!"

Laban is an idolator. Coat of Many Colors is what you get when you take a geek's-eye-view of the bible, the world's most popular book.

- Genesis 29:5I call on the God of our ancestors--the God of your grandfather Abraham and the God of my grandfather Nahor--to punish either one of us who harms the other." By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service.

Does this passage reflect the universality of God, that he is over all men? 2. 3. Journal: Bibliotheca SacraVolume: BSAC 106:423 (Jul 1949)Article: The God of NahorAuthor: Carl Armerding, The expression, “the God of Nahor,” is found but once in Scripture (Gen 31:53), in a chapter which contains several other very interesting references to God. Genesis 11:26 Terah lived seventy years, and became the father of Abram, Nahor and Haran. Are my scuba fins likely to be acceptable "personal items" for air travel? When Serug was 30 years old, his son Nahor was born. In verse 5 Jacob refers to God as the God of his father. And Terah lived seventy years, and begat Abram. Other sources, largely Christian ones (here and here, for example), read the text as being reflective. How does the altered Extra Attack feature of the Bladesinger (Tasha's Cauldron version) interact with Fighter's additional Extra Attacks? "My grandparents are Nahor and Milcah. He traveled to Aram-naharaim* and went to the village where Abraham's brother Nahor had settled.4 - Genesis 24:10As he was still praying, a young woman named Rebekah arrived with a water jug on her shoulder.

His grandfather was Nahor I, son of Serug.