Made with 2 ingredients, this recipe for Hard Shell Chocolate brings back childhood memories of chocolate-dipped cones. You could easily add chocolate to these, making them my Chocolate Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars. Heat for another 30 seconds, and stir until completely smooth. When I worked in the better hotels(according to the pastry chefs) iceing was in most cases pourable and thinner  where frosting was not and was applied with a spatula. The kids absolutely love it! We had a better outcome with this than with chocolate chips. So if you want a crispier, thinner hard shell add more oil, and for a thicker shell, add less. Cupcakes and Cutlery is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. No flavor at all – it literally tasted like ice. Slowly pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, whisking continuously until smooth. just plain hard? She gave me a recipe, but I think something was left out. Then bring to a bubbly boil over med. It's is used to make what we call Mexican Chocolate Cake. With a large piping tip, frost around the top edges of the cake. None of ours fell, although it was my #1 worry each time I turned them upside down. Easy family friendly recipes: dinner to dessert. We dipped and poured a few with the HARD SHELL CHOCOLATE, and the boys loved it. However, I am a great appreciater of a good baker  and their treasures ... One of her comments were, never frost or ice a cake hot nor should the icing be hot ... always allow cooling time ... Could this be your problem ... in reply to "looking for old fashion chocolate frosting that hardens"This is how to make the frosting: you just use the recipe for making hersey's cocoa fudge: 2/3 cup of cocoa, 3 cups sugar, 1/8 tsp. There are so many to choose from. I don't even know what it is called. I can never get it to turn out right. I’m sorry I don’t have a definite answer on that. See more examples of the parties where I’ve served pinata cakes! First thing I ever learned to cook, learned from mom. Hi Pat, I’m sorry it did not work for you. Combine cocoa, sugar, salt in large pot, add milk gradually, mixing throughly until mixed up good. We used Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate Bars. I got this from an old betty crocker cookbook from the 50s. Email me at [email protected]! The melted chocolate should be warm but not hot so as not to melt the frosting. You’ll only need a small portion of the melts for the hearts. Since coconut oil is very dense compared to vegetable oil, only 2 tablespoons would be necessary. Let the dipping begin! Of course neither of these are soft underneath and hard on top. You will know it's ready when the shell turns from glossy to matte). I make extra and use it as fudge. You can even make it yourself with just two ingredients, and it's still every bit as great when you're older. So the first thing we wanted when we got back to the marina was ice cream. I hope that you still have some to experiment with. So I’ll sit here and continue to enjoy my favorite Signature Reserve™ Super Premium Ice Creams, and the kids can enjoy the homemade magic shell. You should give it a try!!! At some point the consistency of the frosting changes to  shiny velvety, and it starts grabbing to the pan. Start out by making the chocolate shell that will cover the frosted cake. https://www.today.com/recipes/2-ingredient-chocolate-magic-shell-t85316 You need only about a minute to cook it in the microwave and just a few minutes to put the ingredients together, so really, this famous Magic Shell ice cream topping can be ready in less than 5 minutes. It’ll have a deeper chocolate flavor. If doing the heart design, paint them on first. Amazing! I reached out to my friend Kristin, who owned Meringue Bake Shop. I can’t wish anything else!