But I'm sure this makes really great spam musubis. We may earn a small commission (at no cost to you), if you purchase through the links. Just wash it and cook it like you would normally. I bought a mat in 2015 also, so glad I had on hand. :). Very good! There are two types of nori/seaweed sheets we use for Sushi Bake: Adding on the crab-mayonnaise layer (I mixed some furikake with this layer). It has all the elements of sushi (rice, avocado, crab) carefully layered into a pan (typically a 9x13-inch foil pan), and then baked. (We’ve found sushi grade fish frozen at our local grocery — this is what we used in our 5 Minute Seared Ahi Tuna recipe.) … One of the best parts about Sushi Bake is that there are endless ways to tailor the dish. We’re Sonja and Alex Overhiser, the recipe developers and cookbook authors behind this website. Place the hot Sushi Bake in the middle of the table. This post includes affiliate links. sushi grade salmon or tuna, cut into 1/2" cubes. Drizzle the soy sauce over the top and finish with a sprinkle/layer of furikake. I created this easy Hawaiian Poke Bowl with Spicy Aioli in honor of Hatti’s birthday. Being raised in the Islands, Shane uses his multi-ethnic background, Hawaiian, Japanese, Chinese, to blend together an exotic taste of sweet, spicy and salty. But I can’t always finish mine the same day. Store your finished vinaigrette in the refrigerator until your poke bowls are ready to eat, and give another good shake right before using. it was good because it tasted like spam. And share a photo on Instagram with the hashtag #afarmgirlsdabbles! I have to say I only used this recipe as a guideline. You can get furikake mix from many asian food stores. Hi Jessica! Hi Rox, Find an oven-safe pan/container to layer the sushi bake (I used a 6-inch round container, but if you're sharing with a group, then I recommend using a larger pan. Subscribe for free weekly recipes & more! Mahalo! After going to Hawaii for the first time a few years ago, my fiance and I fell in love with spam musubi. Being an "Island Boy," I like to find recipes for 'local' food. Sushi Bake is a popular Hawaii dish. It has the elements of a California Roll (rice, imitation crab, and avocado), layered into a pan and baked till it's hot and golden! 1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked luncheon meat (e.g. Some people use the names interchangeably. This will give you a nice a firm rice cake without the mess. The contrast in temperature adds even more interest to the dish. I would say yes, though of course it will depend upon what you put in your bowl! If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator. Adding a little bit of sesome seeds to the rice if you like. Another tip to keep the rice from sticking to your hands; have a bowl of water handy to wet your hands and the musubi mold. Make a double batch of spicy aioli sauce and store it in a jar or squeeze bottle in the refrigerator. We’re nearing the end of Hatti’s senior year in high school. Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat work surface. i've always made it with a sugar and soy sauce marinade but when i saw this recipe with oyster sauce, i thought i'd give it a try. While you cook the rice, you’ll heat up some rice vinegar, sugar and salt, then pour this over the rice once it’s done. Perfect rice in less than 30 minutes. The traditional/classic Sushi Bake is modeled after the California Roll. My favorite dressings include toasted sesame oil. A Couple Cooks was awarded the IACP Best Individual Blog award in 2019 by the International Association of Culinary Professional, © 2020 - A Couple Cooks®| Privacy Policy and Disclosure. Donburi. Speaking of the seaweed, before you cut it into strips, be sure to "toast" it - simply take each sheet and quickly make three-four passes over your stove burner and it will toast fine (don't let it linger over the burner or have the burner set too high or it will burn).