Hash browns vs. home fries. Hash browns are shredded potatoes fried in oil until golden brown (disclaimer: hash browns may sometimes be found in patty-form, like McDonald's.) garlic powder, 2 Tbsp. Hash browns are grated potatoes that have been cooked to be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The exact site is really long to type in, so just go to YouTube, type Mary Cokenour into the search box, and there I am! Cover dish and microwave on high setting for eight minutes. Right away when I walked in the first thing I noticed was the cement floor. Right down to their coffee mugs with advertisements. Photo courtesy Mary Cokenour. These are hash browns: Getty Images. So, after all that, the food was just okay (I just don’t think I like steak and cheese omelets), the staff was perfectly pleasant, and the value is there only if you have a coupon and they comp your drinks. But potatoes go particularly well with breakfast and show up mostly in the form of hash browns or home fries, the two most popular sidekicks to your eggs. Hash browns sitting next to two eggs on a plate. Preparation: Pretty delicious with a surprise drizzle of Hershey’s syrup. This is no frills breakfast right here and aside from the shirts with the weird potato head guy logo and the great name the Ugly Omelet is no different than most breakfast joints around these parts. No, not “the Challenger,” an omelet. Mary Cokenour, Ford Adventures of a Comfort Cook. butter (each Tbsp. :). Start layering potatoes, onions, seasoning mix, and 1 Tbsp. Potatoes show up on the menu at breakfast restaurants almost as much as eggs do. paprika. When I try to back up my argument, pictures of phones do not come up. My YouTube channel can be found at: www.youtube.com. Hash browns and home fries are staple items of breakfast restaurants around the country. Home fries are made from cubed or diced potatoes. butter. How do I know that? of butter to use for frying later. With St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner, what better way to honor the Irish then to write about the potato? In the United States, the ways to cook a potato are just as diverse as the varieties: steamed, boiled, roasted, fried, mashed, shredded, sliced, diced, plain, seasoned, mixed with vegetables, in a casserole, as a side, and so on. Due to this I have an overwhelming urge to nit pick this place to death that I am fighting as I write this entry. All rights reserved. As you will soon see, I’m the finicky eater of the two and typically order BET (bacon, eggs, toast) or French Toast. We think they have a bit more personality and are more “homey” than the simple shreds of hash browns. dried basil, ½ tsp. In the end they made it right for us, but they still screwed up the order. That’s right, I am a kitchen doctor; I doctored those shredded potatoes until they were ready to jump out of the skillet and join a conga line. Hash browns are typically potatoes that are shredded, then fried (butter or oil) in a skillet or on a grill top until both sides are browned and crisped. This past Sunday we had a party to throw for our bowling league (Too Many Jackasses, the finest bowling league in the continental 48) and Kristy had spied a sweet inflatable lawn bowling set at the Ocean State up in Leominster MA so we were off to North County in search of breakfast. There was a 6th fruit, blackberries… because I say they were blackberries. The Ugly Omelet is a small breakfast joint on route 13 in Lunenburg MA located in a strip mall just beyond the former site of the legendary Whalom Park. (Told you I was gonna nit pick). The omelet is huge. I wouldn’t say I would never go there again,  I would just say that it is nothing that I would write home about. Posted by sven gaskins June 9, 2020 Posted in Uncategorized. black pepper, ¼ tsp red pepper flakes, 1 Tbsp. I reminded the server about the English muffin and the fruit cup which he assured me would be coming right out. I will let Kristy fill you in on her experience but this is what happened to me. “The Irish Potato Famine, also known as the Great Hunger, began in 1845 when a fungus-like organism called Phytophthora infestans (or P. infestans) spread rapidly throughout Ireland. What is your favorite: hash browns or home fries? About 40 years later, the potato had spread across Europe, being found easier to grow and cultivate than other staple crops such as wheat and oats. I would have liked the hash to have some more kick, but that is completely subjective. It should make four layers of each, total. Breakfast potatoes are roasted or baked in an oven, usually with garlic, peppers, and onions. Website Design by Interactive Builds | XML Sitemap | HTML Sitemap, Battle Breakfast Restaurants: Hash Browns vs Home Fries. Kristy and I split a fruit cup. Please subscribe, and you’ll be notified every time a new food vlog is uploaded. Yep, my order was a mix-up, but it was a fairly quick fix. The first known mention of “hashed browned potatoes” is by food … In the Andes, there are approximately 4,000(!) You may want to try this one out for yourself as your mileage may vary. Service was very friendly and smiley, aside from our young host who could be a little bit more friendly and a little bit more informed. With St. Patrick’s Day just around the corner, what better way to honor the Irish then to write about the potato?