Tested. They should be covered when cooking them in liquid such as water, chicken stock or vegetable stock. I think mustard greens are so good but it took till I was in my 30's before I would have told you that. Watch carefully making sure they don't boil over the pan. They can be used but they will be very tough and hard to chew. For more traditional Southern-style greens, you can also make your own stock by simmering a whole ham hock in 10–12 cups (2.4–2.8 L) water for 2-5 hours. For tips on preparing greens other was, like sauteing, read on! These leafy greens have a pronounced peppery, bitter bite that increases later in the year as the age and size of the leaves increase. You can cut the thick stems from the greens, as these may require a longer cooking time to reach the desired tenderness. I take smoked ham hocks or smoked turkey necks and cook them in water to flavor the water for 25 minutes, then add my greens and cook until tender. Make sure you check the price before you buy , Amazon prices can change freq uently.... Free Kindle Books and deals for today 11/21/20 ! Our Mama’s Mustard Greens are slow cooked in a veggie broth of sautéed onions, garlic, thyme, and nitrate-free turkey bacon with a kick of heat from Serrano peppers. You can, but without something to flavor them, they won't be very tasty. A stockpot full of greens plus just enough water to cover. Our Mama’s Mustard Greens are slow cooked in a veggie broth of sautéed onions, garlic, thyme, and nitrate-free turkey bacon with a kick of heat from Serrano peppers. Description. This article has been viewed 227,750 times. My mustard greens are stiff. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. A Gardening, Recipe, and DIY Blog all done the frugal way! 1 16 oz. Total time: 3 hours 15 mins. So please remember to be nice and supportive so we can encourage every one who comes to Vickie's Kitchen and Garden. How many bunches of mustard greens do I need to feed 20 people? If you have turnips (optional) -peel, wash, and slice about 2 medium. Learn more... Mustard greens are a bitter variety of leafy cruciferous veggies that come from the same family as spinach, collard greens, and kale. Thanks so much for coming by and taking the time to share your comment. It’s important to keep the pan covered as much as possible throughout the cooking process, as it will prevent the steam from escaping. Add a little bit of water or oil to the pan and reheat gently. When you simmer these ingredients together, something magical happens. Mustard seeds come from this plant, but if you see seeds on the greens when shopping, don't buy that bunch. Add bacon, onions, garlic, Serrano pepper, salt and thyme. That's about enough for dinner today. Cook on high for about 3-4 hours or until greens are tender. First, you will need to wash your mustard greens at least three times because bugs like to hang onto the leaves. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings; stir in 4 cups of chopped mustard greens and 2 tablespoons of beef broth. bag pre-washing mustard greens (Glory brand found at HEB), 5 slices Applegate nitrate-free all-natural uncured turkey bacon, cut into pieces, 4 cups low sodium organic vegetable broth. By nature2 / Administrator on Nov 25, 2013, @Copyright 2019 Naturally Fit Federation | All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy. Simple Southern Mustard Greens with Bacon. Heat on medium. Stir frequently on medium heat so they don't burn. Can I cook mustard greens leaves together with kale, tomatoes, and beans? Any way you make them, just be sure to serve with cornbread to achieve the full Southern taste experience. Then drain them again and add them to your salad. Eat them as is, or add to a cooked pork sandwich, or chop them up and put them in an omelet or frittata. Stir the mixture to combine all ingredients. A couple big bunches of mustard greens will serve 2-4 people, depending on how hungry you are. A classic Southern addition to mustard greens is hog jowl. Cook time: 3 hours 5 mins. Serves: 8 Cups. secret to "put a dash of sugar in everything". Salt to taste. "Using the lemon juice of vinegar was helpful. 1 tbsp. Leave the skillet uncovered to allow excess moisture to escape. I will delete you comment if I consider it rude either to me or someone else on this blog! bag pre-washing mustard greens (Glory brand found at HEB) 1 Tbsp. In large skillet, add oil. As an optional step, pour in 1 cup (240 mL) of chicken or vegetable broth after your greens have wilted. of salt. 20 Free Printable Christmas Tags and Labels, November #5 getting ready for Thanksgiving, Milk Glass, Thrift Shop Talk and the Great Depression Homemakers ~ Snippets. Will adding baking powder to greens make them tender? Make sure you check the price before you buy , Amazon prices can change freq uently. Can you tell me the best season to cook mustard greens? Wipe out the pot and add the bacon. Mustard Greens and Bacon. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. 2 pounds mustard greens (about 2 bunches), 4 ounces (about 4 strips) thickly sliced bacon (diced), Optional: Dash of crushed red pepper flakes. We live the good life on a acre in the city. References If you prefer, you can also tear the greens into bite-sized pieces prior to steaming. Place your leftover greens in an airtight plastic bag or lidded container and stick them in the refrigerator. Turnip greens can be substituted, too—they're smaller, more tender, and a little sweeter than collards. Cook on medium high till tender for about 30 minutes. That is a southern. Privacy Policy, March Garden in the Southern Hemisphere ». There are 23 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. No matter which method you go with, be careful not to cook your mustard greens too long. Then wash again and again. Add the cooked greens to the pot and stir in 1 1/2 cups of water. To cook mustard greens the old-fashioned way, start by rinsing the greens and removing the stems. This is usually a sign that they’re past their prime. Return the bacon to the pot and stir to combine. After rinsing a big bunch of greens and removing the tough lower stems, you can simmer, steam, or sauté them until they take on the perfect soft, silky texture. Add the chopped onion to the bacon drippings in the pot and sauté over medium heat until the onion is soft and lightly browned. The best way to prepare mustard greens will depend on the variety: Cook curly mustard as you would kale, but treat gai choy more like bok choy. Greens dominate the fresh produce available here in the South during the winter, and we’ll show you how to cook some up for a great side dish or even the main meal of the day. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 227,750 times. Freezing your greens can help keep them fresh for 8-12 months or longer. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.