This works best when the meat is covered with tin foil. There are few pieces of meat that provoke as much excitement as a tender chunk of pork belly. I have been looking for a good pork belly recipe – thank you! When they are golden and bubbly and fat has become translucent, they are ready to remove from the oven. Any thicker and it takes longer for the fat to render. Place the pork on the rack, skin-side up. "When finished, the belly can be enjoyed over rice or in your favorite ramen recipe," Wentworth says. Bake at 300° F until tender, about 4 hours for a 3-pound piece. Cook, covered, at 400 degrees for one hour. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. To slow roast pork belly: To prepare pork belly for roasting, use a sharp knife to make several parallel cuts across the skin to score the skin and fat, but not the meat. Thank you for this! Pork belly is one of my favorite dishes to order at restaurants. There’s a reason why pork belly is so revered around the world – it ticks all the boxes you could ask for when it comes to meat. Pinterest reviewers seem to like this recipe very much. Allow the pork to cool slightly, then remove the fat. This article has links to products and services we recommend, which we may make commission from. If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. Ingredients Sprinkle them with the seasonings. Crispy, fatty, very flavorful pork belly strips are perfect as a first course, or try them for breakfast instead of bacon. Crispy, fatty, very flavorful pork belly strips are perfect as a first course, or you could try them for breakfast instead of bacon. Recipes developed by Vered DeLeeuw, CNC Nutritionally reviewed by Rachel Benight MS, RD, CPT. Black pepper, as needed Rinse the pork belly with cold water and place in a saucepan with cold water. The BBQ pork belly looks fabulous. They are like very thick-cut bacon and come from the same cut of pork (the belly, obviously). It was approved by my entire family! 2. Bake the pork belly strips for about 15 minutes on 375°. If you can’t find pork belly strips in your grocery, you can purchase a full slab and cut the strips yourself. Depending on the recipe, your pork will need either hours or days to prepare for the dinner table. I often just serve pork belly strips on their own, but when I want to mix it up, I make tacos or pork belly bowls with them. "There are few rules about where you utilize well-cooked pork belly. Brine the pork belly in water, salt, sugar, and spices in a zip-top bag placed in a baking dish for six hours. As it turns out, the easiest method is to bake them in the oven. Pork belly is just one of the topics they're most curious about. 220 ° C (no convection, gas level 3-4) for approx. They are fabulous when seasoned with just salt and pepper, so that’s how I usually season them! I get them at Costco, and think they are a delicacy! If all you can find is pork belly cut into squares, that’s fine too. "Patience is key for the best results with pork belly, so I recommend making it a day or two before you are going to serve it as part of a meal," Wentworth says. I would season halfway through as well. Remove the pork belly and scratch the skin with a sharp knife in a diamond shape. Can’t find slices at the store? So tasty! You want a good ratio of fat to flesh – somewhere around the 50:50 range is good, and ideally you want an even distribution of both with nice even layers of intramuscular fat between the muscles. The options are endless. Wondering what to serve these with? Cover dish with foil. Bake them until browned and crispy, 30 minutes on the first side, and 20-30 more minutes on the second side. If you want to cook it slow, set the oven to 280 degrees and cook for one hour 30 minutes. I typically publish a new recipe once or twice per week. Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. BBQ Pork Belly slices are an easy-to-make alternative to slow-roasted pork belly, with all the finger-licking satisfaction. Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up. Rinse the pork belly with cold water and place in a saucepan with cold water. Peel the onion, lard it with the cloves and bay leaves and add to the pork belly. 1 pound pork belly How And Why To Cook With Pork, Beef And Fish Cheek... 15 Types Of Grapes To Know, Eat And Drink. Remove the pork from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. I love how the barbecue sauce kind of caramelizes on there. Sprinkle them with the seasonings. Know These 12 Citrus Varieties And When They Are In Season. I prefer a thickness of around 1 inch. As promised, pork belly strips are incredibly easy to make. They burn easily. They go well in bowls and salads, tacos, and just by themselves. Keep a close eye on them! Maybe even more so because I didn’t have to struggle so hard to make it. Continue cooking your belly, covered, for four to six hours, to achieve the soft, braise-y texture we’re in the market for. Prepare a baking tray by lining it with parchment paper or tin foil. The site is currently offering free online classes called Cooking Sous Vide: Getting Started and Burgers, as well as a $10 class called Cooking Sous Vide: Beyond the Basics and a $14 class called Coffee. This recipe was written for thick slices. "But with experimentation you might find alternate ways to cook belly that suit your preferences for texture and flavor.". YUMMMM. Please verify that a recipe fits your needs before using it. It’s a bone-sticking braise that can anchor all sorts of delicious dinners. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Auguste Escoffier School of Culinary Arts. Now, I cook pork belly at home all the time, without all the hassle and long hours of oven roasting. This site uses cookies. By accessing or using this website, you agree to abide by the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.