Simply explain to your child what your family believes and why. And as we go, so do our words. It is our job as parents to teach our children theology. I think modern parents should do the same. Our Faith . (2 Minutes/500 Words), As everyone is aware, we are in a divisive presidential election season. By reading the Bible to your children, you’ll allow God to speak through His word, while demonstrating that Scripture is important to you and your faith. They just don’t see how they can fit something else into their day. Travel is a solid-gold opportunity to talk, listen, pray, and teach. And how often will you get alone time with them? Evaluate the entertainment—music, movies, TV, video games, everything—in light of a Christian worldview, through the perspective of Scripture and just talk with your kids about what they just saw or heard. Teaching your kids can feel daunting. var attribs = ''; Those were good things to be thankful for, even though the world is fallen. Repeat them to your children. He announced he had a prophetic word for Saul. As Christians, there are a number of ways you can help your child learn about God. As we turn to Genesis chapter 38, we're looking now at the life of Joseph. Ancient Israel knew they were to teach the word of God, the commands of the Lord, to their children. And no headphones in the car, please. Sit with your children in your home and open your Bibles together. Use it before anything else. Eventually, Samuel interrupted Saul’s quest. You don’t need to feel like you’re trying out the latest parenting fad or complicated system. You don't have to stop sharing with them, but they need to learn to have their own Jesus time. You need JavaScript enabled to view it Sure. Often times the entertainment, even (perhaps, especially) children’s shows, lies in direct contrast to your perspective as a Christian parent. They also caught the spiritual themes before I expected. I didn’t have to tell them that or develop a lesson for that. As the odometer whirls, so do the conversations. If your child questions your faith or expresses doubt, remember to be patient, gentle, and kind as you help him through the process. Deuteronomy 6:5-9  Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. var suffix = ''; Sometimes, time to teach. Proverbs 22:6  Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. They see you and how you live. But, though we can't be available every night, we have tried to discipline ourselves to spend a little time with them before bed. var path = 'hr' + 'ef' + '='; I heard one father rebuke the common complaint of parents that they have to give rides all day long for their children's activities. Her excitement was contagious when she saw what I brought. Long trips. Sitting on their bed or in their room, talking with them, and listening to them has been an important way for us to connect with them, and connect them to the Scripture. Take to heart these words that I give you today. Though different work schedules and seasons of life (i.e. After all, this is the first and greatest commandment that God has given us to teach them! They see you and how you live. The church should only be reinforcing what you have taught them at home. Others may not feel as if they have adequate theological training. Absolutely. They can see that their mom and dad are growing too. A great way to nurture faith in our kids is to help our kids develop a regular quiet time (or devotional time) with God. Your child will learn about your religion while getting to spend more time with you. Sometimes, especially in one-on-one moments, your son or daughter will be open to sharing their hearts with you while in the car or on a walk. Teaching your kids can feel daunting. One night, I heard one of my boys praying about how he got a scratch on his leg because this world was fallen, but that God still had good things here. Talk about them when you’re at home or away, when you lie down or get up. Happy ones. Parents are either going to prepare their children to follow Christ or to follow the world. When God’s love warms our hearts we burst with happiness and praises to Jesus burst out of us. How can you weave theological teaching into their daily lives, without necessarily setting them down for an in-depth family sermon (though there is nothing inherently wrong with that)? No matter how old or young your child is, it is not recommended to force your religion on him. Focus On the Family:  Leading Your Child to Jesus, Tricia Goyer:  7 Ways to Teach Toddlers About Jesus. Talk about them when you’re at home or away, when you lie down or get up. Have the humility to acknowledge your own shortcomings, ask them for forgiveness and help them see they can always turn to God for forgiveness. You can connect with Aaron at www.thewardrobedoor.com or email him at   Though I love my country and consider myself blessed to be a citizen here, as a senior pastor, I grin and bear these seasons every four years. var prefix = 'mailto:'; Six ways to teach your children the faith.