Set aside. Hi! 3 eggs. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the oil, bananas, pineapple, eggs, vanilla, and pecans. It feels good to know you're not alone, doesn’t it? My Hummingbird Cake Recipe is an amazingly soft, Southern classic cake recipe loaded with banana, pineapple and topped with cream cheese frosting. I have a recipe from my Grandma, but it actually seems to be the same recipe that I have seen online time and time again. It is THAT GOOD. Add in the vanilla and then turn mixer up to medium and mix until smooth and creamy for 1 minute. Hummingbird Cake is a southern classic. Yep, you read that right. Want to share a photo of what you’ve made? I use large eggs, but didn’t specify in the ingredients list, so I will fix that right now! Maybe the ones you used were extra large? Not sure what I did. Top it off with a ring of toasted pecan halves for a pretty finish. 1 teaspoon baking soda. Top with another cake and repeat. Please tell me that calories listed is for the entire cake and not just a slice!! I will eat it until I am absolutely disgusted with myself, and then eat some more. it looks very delicious .. seems to be very yummy … I want to try it .. can you please tell me what are the things I need to take care of while making this recipe. Have I confused you yet? Get yourself right. Topped and filled with cream cheese frosting this is a classic! Can I make the Hummingbird Cake minus the bananas & have it come out successfully? It’s a super moist cake made with mashed bananas, pineapple, and chopped pecans. Proceed with caution if you are trying to lose weight, watch your figure, or don’t plan on eating half a cake in the next day. So today we’re talking about Hummingbird Cake and all it’s gloriousness. Canola Oil – or any type of light oil like vegetable or grapeseed! A lot of the friends we were with had never tried it, so I knew it was a recipe I needed to share. I made this cake in a 9×13 and it was the best!!!! The origin of the name seems to be a mystery, at least from the bit of research I’ve done on it…but if you have any clues as to the where it got its name, I’d love to hear! Here are some baking time adjustments: Soft, sweet, and delicious Hummingbird Cake is a Southern favorite! Proceed with caution if you are trying to lose weight, watch your figure, or don’t plan on eating half a cake in the next day. This Jamaican creation is a tender banana pineapple spice cake with thick and tangy cream cheese frosting. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cakes are set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Optional garnish – Candied Pecans or chopped pecans. Place one cake on a cake plate and cover the top of the cake with a heaping cup of the frosting and spread evenly. Yes, the oil amount is correct… could possibly be the bananas? You can add it if you would like, but no cinnamon! And I am talking, FAVORITE.CAKE.STATUS. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment combine the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until combined and smooth. There are variations out there with some different add-ins, but I’ll get to that in a minute. Be sure to register or log in and then click the camera icon located at the bottom of the comment form. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/makeover-hummingbird-cake However, I just want to make sure you’re fully warned, a PSA if you will, to the crazy deliciousness that is coming your way. I’m Shelly and I’m an addict. Nope, but you could use applesauce in its place . All Rights Reserved. Get 5 Baking Secrets That Will Change Your Life! 1 teaspoon salt. I have made this cake on a few occasions, but it’s not a recipe that I make often, because, well, I can’t seem to control myself. You can sub in walnuts for their pecans, or omit the nuts entirely. Hi Shelly, this recipe reminds me of one of yours I made several years ago–the “Dr. Here are some ideas of how to jazz it up: In my eyes, there is no other answer here except Cream Cheese Frosting! or XL? Rude. I love Hummingbird cake… and I would love to try your recipe. Hummingbird Cake is made a lot like a banana bread recipe…a little like my Pineapple Banana Bread recipe.