Firstly, if you’re a vegan who is only concerned with not ingesting animal products, then the grape and strawberry flavors are fine. Right, so are Nerds vegan or not? Yes, due to it being part of the Azo Dye family that’s derived from Coal Tar it’s definitely vegan/vegetarian. Contrary to what some websites say, Red #40 (which is used in many processed sweets including Red Vines) is not derived from carmine. Carmine red dye is found in some processed and packaged foods, cosmetics, and body products. Candy manufacturers aren’t mandated to give consumers too much info in the filtering process they use with their sugar. A vegan genuinely wants what’s best for their bodies and the planet as a whole. That’s not necessarily the case however, as there are many other ingredients used to make an item appear red, including some non-vegan ones such as Carmine. A vegan holds themselves to a particular standard - not only for their diet but also their lifestyle. Even our own bodies create malic acid. Your body never NEEDS Nerds or any other candy. On top of that, you get more than one flavor per box! That’s not necessarily the case however, as there are many other ingredients used to make an item appear red, including some non-vegan ones such as Carmine. Can you indulge in their sugary goodness with a clear conscience? It also doesn’t help that sugar is super addictive [2]. Copyright © 2008-2020 Mocana Productions, Inc. All rights reserved. For people following a kosher diet, vegan diet or vegetarian diet, consuming foods or using cosmetic products containing the red food coloring wouldn’t be appropriate. Most companies that produce candy on a very large scale - like Nerds - use bone char for this purpose. No. Regardless, they all mean the same thing and are the same thing. It needs to be considered, though, that beetroot, for example, exhibits limited heat stability. Colouring foods and natural colours based on anthocyanins and beetroot are the most common replacements for carmine. I’ve often struggled to suppress my inner kid—the 6-year old boy who stares longingly at the brightly-colored packets of sugary delights stacked in checkout aisles. It also depends on what flavor of Nerds you’re snacking on. Shrimp - Shrimp is not considered a vegan food. By checking this box, I authorise Vegan.com to store my personal information in order to reach out to me. Let’s say that it’s any sugary snack that’s eaten purely for the sake of eating. They fit the above description perfectly. You should ask yourself if the quest is worth the reward, though. Also referred to as “cochineal extract,” candies that contain Carmine color is something that every vegan should avoid. The names of some ingredients just don’t sit right with me. However, the UK variety also contains Carmine (color) and Beeswax (glazing) whereas the US variety used Red 40 (color) and Carnauba Wax (glazing) in their stead. Note that the best red dyes are derived from real foods like strawberries and beets. Therefore, the US variety of M&M’s appear to be more vegetarian friendly than their UK counterparts. While corn syrup is naturally vegan, certain manufacturers do make use of genetic modifications to keep up with the massive demand for it. Made with ♥ by Cloudnames. Let’s also not forget that they’re absolutely delicious. Essentially, it’s obtained by boiling the bodies of cochineal insects in ammonia, which is not only deplorable but also kinda gross. Also referred to as “cochineal extract,” candies that contain Carmine color is something that every vegan should avoid. Both grape and strawberry flavors contain carmine - trace ingredients of this insect-based dye. Fortunately, there’s a multitude of amazing vegan candies that we can indulge in when the mood strikes us. Both grape and strawberry flavors contain carmine - trace ingredients of this insect-based dye. Carmine is made from beetles, and is therefore not vegan. Nerds also rely on it for additional sweetening that doesn’t overwhelm the candy’s flavor. Well, the answer depends on what type of vegan you are. In fact anything with a number in it, makes me uncomfortable. There are two flavors of Nerds that contain an ingredient known as Carmine color. Most of the time that you see malic acid on an ingredients list, you should be fine. Welcome to Vegan Liftz. You won’t be ingesting any part of that animal - it’s more a case of knowing that one was involved in its production. To do this, we’ll need to define “candy.”. E122 is a Coloring agent used in many different products, both food and non-food consumer goods. The pigment is produced by drying, crushing, and then boiling the bodies of cochineal beetles to extract carminic acid.