10 Seasoning Ingredients You’ll Find in Every... 2 cups organic sprouted tri-color quinoa cooked. Thus, I’ve been trying to substitute quinoa for rice in as many things as I can think of — including in the Jamaican dish of rice and peas. Add coconut milk, water and thyme to pot.2. This recipe is perfect for meal prep; don’t be afraid to freeze it. Try it and let me know what you think. In Trinidad and Tobago the pigeon pea is usually the legume of choice like in this Trinidadian pelau recipe. The 7 Breakfast Dishes Every Jamaican Should Know... 7 Amazing Jamaican Street Foods You Must Try. Miss G’s Simple Jamaican Fried Dumplings Recipe... WATCH: Amazing HomeMade Whipped Garlic BUTTER | GARLIC SPREAD Recipe, VIDEO: “Jamaica Jamaica” by Busy Signal – [Official Music Video]. Wash quinoa using a fine-mesh strainer, and set aside. Cook the sprouted quinoa according to package directions. Add diced carrots, cook them over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Sauté for 2 minutes. Quinoa is an ancient grain and is also one of the only complete plant-based sources of protein. « I said “Yes” and I am STILL married to a chef, Jamaican Ital Steamed Fish Head with Okra », Jamaican Ital Steamed Fish Head with Okra | Chef and Steward. Return to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes. Switch off heat, let rice stand for about 10 minutes and fluff rice with fork. In a saucepan heat oil over medium-high heat. Bring pot to a boil, stir once and reduce to a simmer. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. 1 cup of water or vegetable stock. Turn the heat to medium and let cook for another 15 minutes until lentils are fully cooked and water has been fully absorbed. Then continue cooking until the rice is fully cooked and the liquid is absorbed. Add uncooked brown rice, beans and whole scotch bonnet pepper.3. Half a small onion. In a medium saucepan, cook the lentils (according to package directions) in the water with the scotch bonnet pepper (if using. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Do not stir the pot while rice is cooking. Here are a couple notes about the cook time if you use brown or white rice:1. When 15 minutes have elapsed and the lentils are still firm, add quinoa, coconut milk, green onion, garlic, and seasonings. Discard bay leaves Serve warm. ( Log Out /  PCOS Diaries: I Have PCOS. Add onions and celery to the pot and sauce for 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Buy our iPhone or Android Recipe App. Many Caribbean countries have a version of rice and peas. Do not stir the pot while rice is cooking. On another note, I’m entering this recipe into the 2015 Canadian Lentils Recipe Revelation Challenge! Jamaican rice and peas—seasoned with the special trinity of thyme, scallion, and garlic—is a staple dish of the island. 1 scotch bonnet pepper (or haberno pepper), optional, 1 tsp Jamaican curry powder (or turmeric), 1 sprig of fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme. Ingredients: 1 cup quinoa, 2 cups coconut milk, a sprig of thyme 1 green onion, a slice of scotch bonnet pepper (habanero) to taste, salt to taste. Add gluten free tamari and cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until rice is hot. ( Log Out /  The following is an updated, high-protein version of a Jamaican classic. Quinoa and peas. After about 20 minutes check rice and add more water if necessary.4. ½ cup of coconut milk or cream. Log in. Join our newsletter to get the latest articles, news, & videos. It’s also gluten free. Yay! Here’s the direct link: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/214554369724083655/. Try our easy to make Gluten Free Vegan Fried Rice recipe. Save my name, email, and site URL in my browser for next time I post a comment. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Cover the saucepan … Optional (2 tablespoons of vegetable broth). Your email address will not be published. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. After about 20 minutes check rice and add more water if … Quinoa is an ancient grain and is also one of the only complete plant-based sources of protein.