At low levels that will be enough to keep you safe, but at high levels you'll likely dump mage armor because enemies' attack bonuses will be so high that it will stop being helpful. Psi Warrior 5E Guide | Rules, Tips, Builds, and More, Rune Knight 5E Guide | Fighter Archetype in Tasha’s Cauldron, Twilight Cleric 5E Guide | Rules, Tips, Builds, and More, Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything Wizard Guide | New 5E Wizard Options, Peace Cleric 5E Guide | New Domain in Tasha’s Cauldron, Welcome to the Lightning Lure spell breakdown! Lightning Lure is a spell that evaded our lists of best Wizard, Warlock, and Sorcerer cantrips… As well as Cantrips in general. […], The arcane archer blends magic with ranged weapons. As a wizard, you gain the following class features. Wizards were the biggest cause of the "five minute day", in which the Wizard would burn their biggest spells in the first encounter, then would be essentially useless unless the party immediately took a long rest. Be very cautious about using it more than once, however. Instead, this section will cover feats which I think work especially well for the class or which might be tempting but poor choices. KoboldVGTM: With a familiar (or a conveniently-place ally), Pack Tactics can give you easy Advantage. Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quarterstaffs, light crossbows

We'll skip lightning bolt because it's really hard to hit more than two creatures with a line, and thanks to Sculpt Spells it's easier to drop big AOEs over your allies. If you enjoy this content and would like to support the author in creating more, please consider joining the community that makes it all possible. Combined with Forecage, you can easily kill groups of powerful enemies with two spells and some patience while they're helpless to escape or resist. Thanks for contributing an answer to Role-playing Games Stack Exchange!

About that, if by "it", you mean the froghemoth. Learn why with our complete Champion Fighter 5E subclass guide. The range of this spell is somewhat pitiful, only offering 15 feet of range from level 1 to 20.

Required fields are marked *.

Unless you are specifically playing some Evocation Wizard with focus in DPR, a Wizard is most likely controlling the battlefield, mitigating damage and crowd controlling. Ok, thanks, I wrote a quick comparison. If you know that your campaign doesn't include magic items, get something else like Thunderwave. For help selecting spells, see my Wizard Spell List Breakdown. Cone of Cold is a decent spell, but it's rarely better than fireball. If you think you can improve this page please bring the page up to the level of other pages of its type, then remove this template. Feeblemind shuts down enemy spellcasters who aren't Intelligence-based, and Maze puts enemies with low Intelligence into an inescapable demiplane for up to 10 minutes while you fight their friends. Hit Points: d6 hit points is the lowest in the game. Is this useless? The Wizard table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. The Wizard's skill list is almost exclusively dominated by Intelligence-based skills, and that's exactly what we want.

This level also brings the final cantrip damage boost, raising Fire Bolt to an impressive 4d10+5 (avg. Instead, they normally want to focus on being out of range of combatants. We mostly want Fire Bolt for 5th level and beyond. Of course, you could cast Comprehend Languages as a ritual. AarakocraEGtW: See above under the general Races section. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot above 3rd. If you have a lower level effect, ideally a cantrip (Lightning Lure, Shocking Grasp), to trigger Shock Susceptibility and then save your higher-level slots for damage types they aren't resistant too. Are there any RAW effects that give a flat damage reduction? This difference becomes slightly smaller if the party has ways to improve their attacks, such as advantage, bless, more bonus to hit (e.g. (Sarcasm), As my party's tank, I can say for sure that taking away multiattack is. High Elf. Conjure Minor Elementals gives us a versatile option for handling problematic encounters. I maintain this site as a hobby, and I got access to the book on the same day as everyone else and I am … Instead, this section will cover the options which I think work especially well for the class, or which might be tempting but poor choices. It leverages the quiet secrecy of the region, avoiding all attention save for that of the people below, who glance nervously at each sound and light that spills from the tower’s windows. Another underappreciated use of this spell is in conjunction with other AoE effects. 26). What part of a multi-type damage roll is reduced by a non-type-specific effect? They slowly rise into a loose but identifiable form. Talk to your DM about what races are allowed in your game. 2nd-level spells give us more offensive options. Shield adds another defensive option, allowing you to block an attack at the last second and potentially protecting you better than Mage Armor. DragonbornPHB: None of the Dragonborn's abilities are helpful to the wizard, and if you want something like a breath weapon there are plenty of spells which will do the job. Con: Hit points and Constitution saves are problems for Wizards. Mage Armor is a significant AC boost, bringing you to 16 AC which matches the AC of a fighter without a shield, but you're still frail so standing behind someone durable is still better protection. I maintain this site as a hobby, and I got access to the book on the same day as everyone else and I am rushing to catch up as quickly as I can. Except healing.

HobgoblinEGtW: See above under the general Races section. It can compliment any area spells you have; forcing opponents to get pulled into traps – such as Cloud of Daggers or a tripwire. Update your cookie preferences, A stroke of lightning forming a line of 100 feet long and 5 feet wide blasts out from you in a direction you choose. Incendiary Cloud isn't an evocation spell, but it's a fantastic damage option nonetheless. This is awesome! Lightning Lure is a hybrid utility/damaging spell for our three primary arcane spell users.

AasimarEGtW: See above under the general Races section. You can recover either a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots.

This reduces its offensive CR from 12 to 6 or 7. With an Intelligence of 16, your list of prepared spells can include six spells of 1st or 2nd level, in any combination, chosen from your spellbook. Wall of Fire stands out as a potent crowd control effect, but the other options aren't worth a spell slot. View and manage file attachments for this page. This is definitely worth sacrificing some damage for. Why did mainframes have big conspicuous power-off buttons? A champion has fallen and the party must find a cure from the forest’s blighted beasts. You can cast a wizard spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell in your spellbook. So removing multiattack is even better than it seems if we just look at the numbers. You must have an Intelligence score of 13 or higher in order to multiclass in or out of this class. FirbolgsEGtW: See above under the general Races section. Beyond Meteor Swarm, you would be a fool to not learn Wish. in one convenient ZIP file and HalflingPHB: Dexterity is nice for your AC, but the Halfling offers little else that is specifically useful to the Wizard. Lightning Lure is a spell that evaded our lists of best Wizard, Warlock, and Sorcerer cantrips… As well as Cantrips in general. Pulling someone 10 feet with a string of lightning, produced without a single somatic component, can be highly threatening and intimidating in the right situation. Is it too late for me to get into competitive chess? See pages that link to and include this page. Terms of Service and Privacy Policy Update. You can destroy a castle with that. Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. If that appeals to you,  consider adding the Lightning Lure to their arsenal.

[…]. Spellcasting: Wizards are the king of spellcasters. When you reach 2nd level, you choose an arcane tradition, shaping your practice of magic through one of the following schools. Check out how this page has evolved in the past. Casting the spell doesn't remove it from your list of prepared spells.