Lyrics to 'American Pie (Full Length Version)' by Don McLean. I can still remember how that music used to make me smile. Don McLean - American Pie (long version) Lyrics. Bad news on the doorstep; I couldn't take one more step. A long, long time ago I can still remember how that music used to make me smile And I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance And maybe they'd be happy for a while A long, long time ago I can still remember How that music used to make me smile And I knew that if I had my chance I could make those people dance And maybe they'd be happy for a while . McLean's favorite music was that of the 50's. A long, long time ago I can still remember how that music used to make me smile And I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people Lyrics to 'American Pie' by Don McLean: A long, long time ago I can still remember how that music used to make me smile And I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance And maybe they'd be happy for a while I can still remember How that music used to make me smile. And I knew if I had my chance, that I could make those people dance, and maybe they'd be happy for a while. And I knew if I had my chance That I could make those people dance And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while. American Pie was written in 1971 and the time McLean is going to talk about is the 1950's. This seems like a long time ago 'cause of all the turmoil that occurred in the 60's. But february made me shiver With every paper I'd deliver.