The Gayatri Mantra first appeared in the Rig Veda (Mandala 3.62.10), an early Vedic text written between 1100 to 1700 BCE. ", AumBhuh Bhuvah SvahTat Savitur VarenyamBhargo Devasya DheemahiDhiyo Yo nah Prachodayat~ The Rig Veda (10:16:3), "O thou existence Absolute, Creator of the three dimensions, we contemplate upon thy divine light. The Gayatri has three parts: 1.Praise, 2.Meditation, and 3.Prayer. Baba and the Gayatri - from Vision of the Divine, The Power of Gayatri (Dharma Vahini, chap VII), Significance of the Gayatri (Discourse 10 Feb 2000), Unique potency of the Gayatri mantra (Discourse 23 Aug 1995), The Gayatri path to God (Discourse 17 Mar 1983), The universal prayer (Discourse 20 Jun 1977), The basic hypocrisy (Discourse 26 Apr 1965), Recruits for My army (Discourse 25 Feb 1965), Video of Sathya Sai Baba chanting Gayatri Mantra, A Gayatri Mantra devoted to Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba, A talk by Dr. Narendranath Reddy on the power of the Gayatri Mantra. It is also called Pranav because its sound emanates from the Prana (vital vibration), which feels the Universe. If you follow the mantras and vedas you will have again rebirth only. ‘Dhīmahi’ means meditation. Thus, it is highly advisable that people should follow certain rules while chanting the Gayatri Mantra. धियो यो नः प्रचोदयात॥, Aum May He stimulate our intellect and bestow upon us true knowledge. Because of the protective roles of Savithri, Saraswati and Gayatri, in relation to life, speech, and the intellect, Gayatri is described as "Sarva-devatā-swarūpiñi"--- the embodiment of all goddesses. [‘Sathya Sai Speaks’, vol 33.04: Feb, 10, 2000]. It is the primordial fundamental sound symbolic of the Universal Absolute. Just as there are three basic energies that govern man---the physical, the metaphysical and the psychical, the ādhi-bhoutik, the ādhi-daivik and the ādhi-atmic, Gayatri has three facets, Gayatri, Savitri and Saraswati. This Prajnāna-shakti is known as constant integrated awareness. When the life-forces are protected, the guardian deity is called Savitri. General meaning: We meditate on that most adored Supreme Lord, the creator, whose effulgence (divine light) illumines all realms (physical, mental and spiritual). One of my friend, Sree Vastav, in Instrumentation Limited, Kota, advised me to chant this mantra while going to sleep and also while getting up from bed when I told him that I am seeing many bad dreams at night. Mother Gayatri nourishes and protects every being and she channelizes our senses in the proper direction. It is the basis, the reality behind the experienced and the cognized universe. Vyahriti is that which gives knowledge of the entire cosmos or “ahriti”. भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि।

The Gayatri may be considered as having three parts - (i) Adoration (ii) Meditation (iii) Prayer. This is the prayer addressed to the Sun in the Gayatri mantra. It is especially regarded for Adoration, Meditation, and Prayer. Reciting the Gayatri Mantra not only decontaminates the chanter but the listener as well. [‘Sathya Sai Speaks’, vol 28.22: August, 23, 1995]. By using Learn Religions, you accept our, Various meanings of the words used in the Gayatri Mantra, The Real Reason for the Hindu Raksha Bandhan Celebration, Quotes from 'The Hindus: An Alternative History'. All of them whom ever I had… Read more ».

Follow the God to become God. Life would be impossible without the Sun for man, beast, bird, or plant.

Gayatri is the bestower of all that is beneficial. Let’s first understand what is a mantra and what is Gayatri. The earliest finding of the seekers was that the Sun was the most important factor in determining the daily life of man and providing the basic requirements for living. To be frank nearly for the past 40 years, I had not seen any bad dreams at all! May He stimulate our intellect and bestow upon us true knowledge. but that too if the benefit follows according to your Karma. “Gāyantaṃ trāyate iti Gayatri” -- Because it protects the one who recites it, it is called Gayatri. Gold is one, though gold ornaments can be multifarious. Before I explain to you the meaning of the Gayatri Mantra, let me give you a little bit of a background. Gayatri, Savitri and Saraswati are latent in everybody. Gayatri Mantra in English: Aum Bhur Bhuvah Svah […] However, there is a certain process of chanting them. So Brahma-prakāsha, the Divine Effulgence, will descend on you and illumine your intellect and light your path when this mantra is chanted. It has its origin in the Sanskrit phrase Gayantam Triyate iti, and refers to that mantra which rescues the chanter from all adverse situations that may lead to mortality. In brief, the mantra means: O thou existence Absolute, Creator of the three dimensions, we contemplate upon thy divine light. Do not sing cheap and defiling film songs. It will protect you from harm wherever you are --traveling, working, or at home. This is a collection of SSIO guidelines and manuals from various committees and task force teams. Nor is that all. Though I have studied Sanskrit, I was unable to make the head and tail of this manthra. Savitri is the presiding deity of the five prāñas. Modern Hindu refine the movements and spread the practice of the mantra to include women and all castes too, and its use is now prevalent. It is the sum and substance of all the words that can emanate from the human throat. SSIO Logo with the five human values that form the foundation of Sathya Sai Baba's teachings, Devoted to the Moral and Spiritual Uplift of Humanity through Sathya, Dharma, Santhi, Prema, and Ahimsa. Bhur, Bhuvah and Swah in the Gayatri mantra refer to the body (materialization), the life-force (vibration), and the soul (radiation). It is through the recognition of this unity that we can understand the multiplicity. The scripture says “Aum Iti Ek Akshara Brahman” (Aum that one syllable is Brahman). It strengthens the mind and improves the health condition. It is through the recognition of this unity that we can understand the multiplicity. And also repeat shanthi (peace) thrice at the end, for that repetition will give peace to three entities in you --body, mind, and soul. Discussion of Organisation and Purpose of Sai Centres, Ideal education that brings out latent human values and develops character, Selfless and loving service to those affected by natural disasters, Community service activities of the Sathya Sai Centres, Interfaith activities from around the world. This is the inner meaning. It is stated in the Upanishads as a significant ritual and in the Bhagavad Gita as, the poem of the Divine. It is these cosmic vibrations, which assumed the form of the Veda (sacred revelations of spiritual knowledge). It is essential to recite the Gayatri mantra at least three times during the morning, noon, and evening. When the four sātvic hours of the morning are used for engaging oneself in good actions like worship, virtuous deeds, and keeping good company, one is sure to raise oneself from the human to the Divine level. The three represent purity in thought, word, and deed (thrikarana shuddhi). All three, namely, materialization, vibration, and radiation are present in man. Although Gayatri has three names, all three are in each of us as the senses (Gayatri), the power of speech (Saraswathi), and the life force (Savitri). The vibrations produced by the utterance of the mantra, uniting with the cosmic nāda (primal sound) in the universe, become one with the Universal Consciousness. It is like buying goods for cash, instead of getting them on credit. Savitri is known in the sciptural story as the devoted wife who brought back to life her husband, Sathyavan. "Tat-savitur Vareñyaṃ". While chanting the Gayatri Mantra, you should always close the eyes and should try to concentrate on every word and understand their meaning. Gayatri Mantra was first recorded in the Rig Veda and was written in Sanskrit around 2500 to 3500 years back. ", "O Divine mother, our hearts are filled with darkness.

They also found some subtle secrets about the Sun. Through meditation on the Gayatri, one can become aware of the inner motivating principle of the five elements, the five vital airs in the human body, and the five sheaths which encase the Atma.