The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Hi John (or anyone else who can advise), thanks for the tip regarding Woolshed Creek campsite. was tough going carrying a 17kg pack(some times with a child onboard as well, but what a great walk and some beautiful country. Dogs … Please wear sturdy shoes as the track is steep, rocky and uneven. Directional signage may be limited. This website has been built as a community service by one guy who is passionate about the outdoors. The Mitchell River National Park is located 320km east of Melbourne and is roughly 25km northwest of Bairnsdale. A very steep path lead us to a rocky step path and the edge of a very steep drop and a makeshift bench. There are spectacular views from the river to the top of … Signs really didn't show much information, no real maps, guidelines etc.... With all these images I am extremely disappointed that it was inaccessible for us to access. Yep. I recommend experience trekkers to follow this path and definitely wouldn't be taking children on it. A tough walk with some amazing views. It is nothing but hard rock and unsuitable for camping. We ventured out to see the Den on our way home from Bairnsdale. Mitchell River Walking Trail (including Den of Nargun and Deadcosk den) is a 25km, grade 4, one way hike located in Mitchell River National Park, Victoria. We were treated to a wombat strolling. Mitchell River Walking Track is a 13.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia that features a river and is rated as difficult. Is this a place or activity you would suggest for, Is this a place or activity you would go to on a, Are the prices for this place or activity, Is this a must-do if you are traveling with a, Would you recommend this place or activity to a friend looking for an, Is this attraction a good place to visit on a, We did the loop walk with a 3yo & 5yo it was very narrow, slippery & steep in some sections 5yo walked the whole way 3 yo had 2 short stints being carried, took us 2.5 hours with several photo & rest, This is a beautiful walk to the lookout and Den of Nargun, probably best walked anticlockwise due to the gradient. There was a fair bit of water in front of the den when we visited and it is pretty unique scenery for this part of Australia. Overall the hike is fantastic. I’d guess it would be limited in the deeper sections of the gorge and river gullies. Whilst 18-kilometres may not seem long, it can be quite deceiving given how low the trail goes into the gullies and how high it goes to the top of the gorge. Winter would be the best time to explore. A section of Mitchell Road is closed to vehicles due to soil slips. Distance: 6.25 km ( 3.88 miles ) Duration: 2 hours and 25 mins. You do need to wear walking shoes … Walks may be more than 20 kilometres.Start: Angusvale camping areaFinish: Den of Nargun picnic area. Ive walked from Billy Goat Bend to Angusvale, is the terrain similar to Den of Nargun from Billy Goat? For yr 9’s with mostly zero experience it was a killer. Mitchell River Walking Track. There was no water when I visited. You can add a comment or review this trail, © Wikiloc. Mitchell River Walking Track is a 13.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia that features a river and is rated as difficult. 18kms might not seem much, but the trail has many steep ascents and descents, which makes it particularly challenging. If you go on a day when you have good weather, the view from the lookout at Billy Goats Bend is fantastic. Dogs … Mitchell River Walking Track is a 6.7 mile trail through Mitchell River National Park. Select items to indicate features found along the trail. Mitchell River Walking Track is a 21.4 kilometer lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia that features a river and is rated as difficult. The Mitchell River National Park protects spectacular river scenery, serene rainforest gullies, rugged landscapes and significant occurrences of some of Victoria's more unusual vegetation communities. Thanks. more, Specialty Museums, Scenic Drives, History Museums, Things to do near Mitchell River Walking Track. I would like to hike with my 13 year old daughter, camping halfway and than returning. The scenery changes and becomes… It can be accessed by foot. Oh, be warned of the drumlike sound from cicadas. © Copyright 2015 | Darren Edwards | All Rights Reserved, Source: Darren Edwards - www.trailhiking.com.au. There are spectacular views from the river to the top of the gorge.Location: Mitchell River National ParkDistance: 18 kilometres one wayDuration: Two daysGrade: Level Four - Bushwalking experience and a good level of fitness required. May require moderate fitness level and I would not recommend the track to the Den for small kids. Mitchell River Walking Trail (including Den of Nargun and Deadcosk den) is a 25km, grade 4, one way hike located in Mitchell River National Park, Victoria. Walks may be more than 20 kilometres.Start: Angusvale camping areaFinish: Den of Nargun picnic area. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Hi Sabine. You do need to wear walking shoes as it is rocky. I would suggest walking downstream from Angusvale through the Den of Nargun. Most of the day hikes we do are in excess of 20km so I would say, give it a go.