JFK was pronounced dead a few hours later. I certainly can understand those who disagree – what caught me by surprise is the harshness and nastiness of some of the responses. The writer must have been drunk when he thought of that one. What does it have to do with what I wrote?? I’ve done other list where I’ve intentionally attempted to spark this type of conversation and haven’t generated this level of discussion. Wow, this is such a bad list. It will bleed red, white and yes, blue! Will you publish anything submitted or give feedback/reject some? Some are sent back for revisions, some are just killed outright when they can’t be fixed. There are now 8 confirmed countries armed with nuclear weapons, and Israel probably has nuclear weapons as well, but does not officially confirm that fact. In the front row from left to right: Michael J. Smith, Dick Scobee, and Ron McNair. Once the internal combustion engine had been refined enough to produce a viable automobile, various car manufacturers across the world began offering their products to people wealthy enough to afford them. Cambridge University-educated Mr Tunstall-Pedoe said: "Nobody significant died that day, no major events apparently occurred and, although a typical day in the 20th century … Why the millenium that’s just an arbitrairy calender. On June 5, 1944, standing in his headquarters watching it rain, General Dwight Eisenhower, the Supreme Commander of Allied Forces in Europe, pulled out a pencil and scribbled a short note he hoped he wouldn’t have to use. The Civil Rights Movement in the United States defined an entire generation of Americans. Guess the world revolves around America huh? How did this ever pass final publish? 2001 is the first year of the 21st century. The value that the market had accumulated in the previous two years was wiped out, and total losses were over $30 billion. Once the Soviets and the Americans achieved the technology and produced ICBM’s the shadow of those weapons has loomed over the entire world ever since. Women winning their rights to vote and other such things? And the #1 was lame, lame, lame. The Sunningdale peach treaty in Ireland as a call for unity in 1993 which stopped all wars/deaths? They didn’t start using the Lunar Rover until Apollo 15. Thanks….Keep on listing. Investigations and finger-pointing ensued, and the space shuttle program was shut down for two years. I would say that yes, American history (at least some of it) is taught in other countries, at least here in Europe. Of the rest 3 others are directly or indirectly associated with the US. Its embarrassing to read. It would have been more appropriately titled “Top 10 Memorable Days for the U.S. of the 20th Century” but even that would be poor as the list writer does not appear to understand what is truly memorable. 4. *Moon Landing? On May 26, 1908, the first major commercial oil strike in the Middle East was made when the Masjed Soleyman strike was made in Southwest Persia, the country now known as Iran. The error is that the picture shown is of another Apollo landing and not Apollo 11. A person from China will consider December 10th, 1949 to be important while ignoring November 9th, 1989, a date that most Germans would consider crucial. The destruction of Hiroshima stands as a vivid reminder of the terrible cost of the use of nuclear weapons. Articles are mostly written by either Dr. Zar or his dad (Major Dan). It is widely accepted that this crash was on one of the big factors for the rise of fascism in Europe. I do quite like the site, but I’ve def seen lists I know I could beat. June 6, 1944: The Most Important Day of the Twentieth Century. 5. While the program has had a number of fatal disasters, none was more graphically tragic than the fate that befell the space shuttle Challenger. ), among our International writing team. Cooper Hijacks Plane and is Never Seen Again! Scenes of the assassination were captured in video. Fair enough, but only due to the constant US media attention. Time 100: The Most Important People of the Century is a compilation of the 20th century's 100 most influential people, published in Time magazine in 1999.. Second Intifada begins. Follow the changes in this decade-by-decade timeline of the 20th century. Destruction of the Berlin Wall And these are the ones that say they are embarrassed by MY list. I think these are your opinions and not the over-riding opinions of the world. If there had ever been a serious question of whether or not the American President was above the law, the forced resignation of Richard Nixon in the wake of the Watergate Scandal and subsequent attempts to cover it up stamped an authoritative “NO!” in answer to that question. There can be no doubt that the twentieth century is one of the most remarkable in human history for its previously unparalleled rate of technological advances and scientific discoveries, a rate that continues to this day.