The female lays its eggs in the nests of other bird species, leaving it to the foster parents to try to feed two sets of hatchlings. NO PEEKING AND NO FINGERS. Field ornithologist Wang Luan Keng identified it as a nest of a munia. The nest is a large domed grass structure in a bush or tall grass into which 4-7 white eggs are laid. The birds must be bright of eye, alert and moving from perch to perch in the show cage. However, with the slightest disturbance, they moved to the nearest suitable reed bed in a packed formation only to go about their business again. The courtship ritual with the Pictorella is something else to see. It is better not to breed the Pictorella during the colder months, as the young tend to live on the floor of the aviary for a week or so after they have fledged from the nest.

Scaly-breasted munia or spotted munia is the most common species of finch birds found in India, A species of the genus Lonchura and forage in flocks over the grasslands. The male has stints at sitting during the daylight hours.

It was during one such outing that I realised how several birds use these wild spaces. Hundreds of wading birds—herons, egrets, night-herons, ibises, and Roseate Spoonbills—nest here, easily visible from boardwalks, a road the hugs the eastern shore of the lake, and a walking trail around the north end of the lake. And that’s where the drama begins. Pictorella’s need a good worming program as they are forever picking around the floor of the aviary. Or, contact our editors by emailing [email protected]

... to lay their eggs in other birds’ nests. Between 4 and 6 white eggs are laid. I don’t know what they are looking for. Hello Thomas , Je ne connaissais pas du tout cet oiseau il a une curieuse livrée , bien gracieux , merci pour ce beau livre d'images Amitiés .

What a neat bird and the detail you captured was is outstanding! Thomas: Beautiful capture of a beautiful bird, your photos are outstanding.

Being a bird that spends large periods of time on the ground you must take great care when selecting your birds. It is only provided for educational and entertainment purposes, and is in no way intended as a substitute for On occasions I have had to bring birds inside when they were feeding young due to illness to one of the parents. All images have been taken with our trusted D300, 300mm f2.8 lens with 2x TC mounted on a tripod. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. However, if you do decide to show your birds then judges will look for birds in good feather with clean mandibles, legs and feet. Add to Likebox #113396640 - An adult scaly - breasted munia is perching on a cable. Previously, he spent two decades as politics reporter and columnist for the Orange County Register.

The spots on the chest area must be clear and white. Plenty of nesting material should be offered for them to pick over. The amount of spots on the chest area. Fluffed up with closed eyes. The breast bar of the male and female is covered with white spots, with the male being a more mottled white with the spots running into each other and forming lines whereas the hen has more distinct spotting on the chest. Wow beautiful bird! Finch Information. Although pair bonding is strong, if one loses a mate, immediately introduce another mate. Amazing that they know exactly how to land and not get stuck with the thorns.

nice work here! As a social signal, tail flicking in several other species acts as a signa… […] out our postings on munia nests: 1, 2 and […], […] Kuehnel’s Pocket Atlas of Cytology, Histology and Microscopic Anatomy is a proven classic.Bird Ecology Study Group Anatomy of a munia’s nestAnatomy of a munia’s nest. The color of their plumages are generally combinations of browns, black and white. Field ornithologist Wang Luan Keng identified it as a nest of a munia.

Your photos are always excellent. Your use of this website indicates your agreement to these

But the beautiful African songbird shouldn’t even be here. It looks a bit like a type of finch. Munias are known to be seed eaters, consuming the seeds of grass and their likes. Males will also fill eggs when not fully coloured. The Heroes that Were Pigeons: The Smart “Rescue and War” Pigeons Similar Images . Thomas,I am sorry, I have not been visiting your blog lately. 8/10 - Despite this rating whenever I have kept Pictorella’s I have had no problems with them going to nest for me.

With the pandemic keeping many people at home, neighborhood whydahs may be getting noticed more than ever. It is not difficult to distinguish between the male and female Pictorella. It frequents open grassland and cultivation. He had to look it up, with details of the expatriate birds quickly gaining the fascination of both mother and son. When ringing young birds after they have left the nest be careful not to damage the toes if intending to close ring your birds. I have found that at times some pairs of Pictorella’s do tend to over bred. Now, there are also concern about whether whydahs are also finding — or will find — native birds to host their eggs, as the cowbirds do. It is a tiny (10-12cms) shy bird making it a pretty challenging subject for photography. Scaly? Restall, R. (1996). A good worming program is needed for them. Who names these poor creatures? Also, don’t forget that the Pictorella does not line its nest so the young may suffer if you try breeding during inclement months. About 30 minutes later they were still in the garbage bin systematically slaughtering every mealworm in the bin!

The black facial mask of this bird is darker on the male than it is on the female. During this time they are susceptible to the cold and could easily expire. Avianweb / BeautyOfBirds or any of their authors / publishers assume no responsibility for the use or misuse of any of the published material. Pictorellas can be kept as a colony or in single pairs. The nest is not a tidy type of nest like the Star finch, but an untidier framework structure with an entrance hole in the side. Be aware that if you poke your finger into the nest and the young are not too far off fledging you are going to have young Pictorella’s jumping out of the nest at a rate of knots and they are VERY hard to get back in there again!! I could hear the distinct nasal squeaks from their conical bills that were very different from the louder croaks, twitters, chirps, squeals and whistles of other birds. Such s beautiful bird and such splendid shots!You have really done a great job here,Thomas.Missed your earliert post but the Herons below are brilliant, too!Espeacially the last close up. He fans his tail feathers out and dragging them on the ground he commences to dance in front of the hen. The porch is of mainly grass inflorescence branches.

Pictorellas do not do so well in cabinets, very small aviaries or suspended aviaries. It frequents open woodland and cultivation. But then I am prepared to feed rather a lot of live food!