They are often categorized into 3 separate timeframes and purposes: the early works flushed with a Romantic perspective and influenced by Schopenhauer and Wagner, the middle period which praised reason and science, and the mature writings which honed in on the origin and function of values in human life. People erect a concept of morality, of virtue, of holiness upon this false view of all things; they ground good conscience upon faulty vision; they argue that no other sort of vision has value any more, once they have made theirs sacrosanct with the names of "God," "salvation" and "eternity." “Complete works: The first complete and authorised English translation”, Friedrich Nietzsche (2012). And you yourself are the will to power - and nothing else! It soothes. The Antichrist aphorism 39 (1888) (translation by Walter Kaufmann), Friedrich Nietzsche (1977). All Quotes Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich. than overcome man? Probably now God says Nietzsche is dead! When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. Friedrich Nietzsche left behind a grand legacy of intelligence and original thinking, creating some of the most profound Nietsche quotes we still hear today. It is easy to grasp. - Friedrich Nietzsche quotes from BrainyQuote.com "In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point." When, with Or is God one of man's blunders? Read through the Nietzsche quotes below to discover one to think about and be inspired by. Nietzsche’s work was defined by his interest in evaluating the cultural values of Western philosophy, religion, and morality. I have my way. It soothes. incessantly: "I am looking for God! Poisoners they are, whether they know it or not. It preserves whatever is ripe for destruction;”, “A virtue must be our invention; it must spring out of our personal need and defence.”, “This saintly anarchist, who aroused the people of the abyss, the outcasts and “sinners,” the Chandala of Judaism, to rise in revolt against the established order of things—and in language which, if the Gospels are to be credited, would get him sent to Siberia today—this man was certainly a political criminal, at least in so far as it was possible to be one in so absurdly unpolitical a community. I like the religion that teaches liberty, equality and fraternity. “The Portable Nietzsche”, p.63, Penguin, Friedrich Nietzsche (2016). Votes: 1, I read a book lately by Nietzsche and he says religion is just to dull the senses of the people. Comparative Religion similarities = A Proof of the Existence of God? - Friedrich Nietzsche We’d love your help. - Friedrich Nietzsche quotes from BrainyQuote.com "In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point." but they send to Hell everything that stands in their way.”, “The most spiritual men, as the strongest, find their happiness where others would find their destruction: in the labyrinth, in hardness against themselves and others, in experiments. They are the most venerable kind of man: that does not preclude their being the most cheerful and the kindliest.”, “Against boredom even gods struggle in vain.”, “Happiness is the feeling that power increases - that resistance is being overcome.”, “Christianity remains to this day the greatest misfortune of humanity.”, “The most common sort of lie is that by which a man deceives himself: the deception of others is a relatively rare offense.”, “The majority of men prefer delusion to truth. Remember to visit a dermatologist once you've completed the quiz, and talk to them about your answers. Above all, it fits more snugly than the truth into a universe of false appearances—of complex and irrational phenomena, defectively grasped.”, “Pity thwarts the whole law of evolution, which is the law of natural selection. There is not enough religion in the world even to destroy religion. Votes: 0, I became the stage for the great argument between Nietzsche and Rousseau. Make yourself ignorant, be submissive, Dedicated to your stories and ideas. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”, “Enduring habits I hate… Yes, at the very bottom of my soul I feel grateful to all my misery and bouts of sickness and everything about me that is imperfect because this sort of thing leaves me with a hundred backdoors through which I can escape from enduring habits.”, “There is an old illusion. overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment...", "Would he had been less full of borrowed knowledge! This modernity was our sickness: lazy peace, cowardly compromise, the whole virtuous uncleanliness of the modern Yes and No. To dive into Friedrich Nietzsche’s mind, here are Friedrich Nietzsche quotes to inspire us all. Sign up for the Thought Catalog Weekly and get the best stories from the week to your inbox every Friday. from Nietzsche's Human, all too Human, s.405, R.J. Hollingdale transl. Schopenhauer was right here: pity negates life, it makes life worthy of negation, - pity is the practice of nihilism.