Fold the paper bag over and shake, shake, shake to evenly cover the steaks. I grew up in Texas farm country, but spent the better part of my life living in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Buttermilk has high acidity levels that works to tenderize just about any meats you soak in it, including chicken. Some would say this is the only way to fry up chicken fried steak (fried venison steaks), but I prefer to have a heavier meat flavor and lighter batter flavor. Can it be prepared in advance? This is a great recipe to serve up after the holidays to try to get rid of leftover mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. As a child growing up in the South, my mother would make the most delicious pan fried venison steak recipe I’d ever tasted; of course, I was a child then and pretty much anything mom cooked was good, but this recipe has lasted quite a few generations, because it is just that good. After Winston passed at the beginnin, Raw venison heart bruschetta or venison heart cevi, 4 people, 5 hours (20 man hours), and 80 pounds of, Words can't express how saddened we are by the imp. Put the butter and oil into a pan over a medium heat. This is perfect for the hunters in my family.Thank you! Excellent recipe! https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pan-fried-venison-steak As your oil is heating, mix together the eggs and buttermilk in one pie plate, and the flour and your favorite seasoning in another. No. See recipe above if you don't have buttermilk on hand. Cubed steaks, chicken fried steaks, pan fried steaks, or deep fried steak, whatever you prefer to call it, this recipe is a household favorite. For a backup, you can always just use milk, or opt to make your own buttermilk by mixing 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Who knew this could be so easy? It is delicious!!! Flatten venison to 1/4-in. Like most game it is very lean because it is reared in the wild, so the low fat content makes a healthy alternative to beef. Place steaks in a bowl large enough to hold the steaks and about 2 cups of buttermilk. Oh my, the flavor of the pan fried venison steaks were amazing! When the butter has stopped bubbling and has gone quiet, put the steak in and cook it according to the following table: Remove the venison fillets from the pan, transfer them to a plate and allow them to rest for 5 minutes. No. Because of this, I’ve never had an issue with any of our meat having a gamey taste. Season the venison steaks with salt & pepper. If you have a real wild tasting piece of steak you can soak it in buttermilk to help calm the flavor also.masteely. Home Recipes Ingredients Meat & Poultry Beef. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. I was out of saltines so, I used Keebler Club Crackers which have a buttery flavor and I also subtituted veggie oil for the canola oil. If I was to really bring in my Southern roots, I'd put the flour in a paper grocery bag, and add the the steaks to the bag after dipping them in the milk mixture. Soaking meat in milk is a Southern tradition that I’m more than happy to bring to any Colorado table. You can use deer, elk or antelope in place of any beef in a recipe. I made this using our venison tenderloin strips which I soaked in salt water all day. Venison is in season from September to the end of February. Preparation Time: 2 minutesCooking Time: up to 6 minutes. Yes, for up to 3 days if eaten cold. i am going to make these using the tenderloin or thin boneless pork chops to bring back a little mid-west. Season the venison steaks with salt & pepper. Filed Under: Comfort Food, Dinner, Recipes. I loved it, and now my children do too!” [CDATA[ (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); // ]]> I really have no idea, and feel that it’s probably just an old Southern tradition/old-wives tale, but in the South, they swear that milk can draw out the gamey flavor in wild game. Mix the ingredients together, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Join me in tasting delicious wild game recipes and exploring the great outdoors of Colorado. But some prefer to double-dip the steaks - again in the milk mixture and again in the flour mixture - before frying them, because it adds an extra-thick batter. When the butter has stopped bubbling and has gone quiet, put the steak in and cook it according to the following table: From hunting and fishing to foraging and gathering, our family brings sustainable cooking to a whole new level. Serve the steaks with mashed potatoes and gravy, all in the same bowl. This recipe is super good me and my grandson made this and fried some squash with it. It turned out delicious, I could eat this for nearly every meal. This sounds great to serve for family dinner. I have a freind that gives me venison each year and I can’t wait to try out your recipe, it looks ah-mazing! Place steaks in a bowl large enough to hold the steaks and about 2 cups of buttermilk. //