Now, you may be wondering what the process actually looks like. The most obtainable varieties are the Long pointed leaf and the broad juicy leaf indigos. as possible. Colorado: Interweave Press. Second, you dip it in the pot, rub it well for a few seconds, and take it out. exposure to air and moisture) at the rate of 1/2 teaspoon/gallon of dye liquid. I added a barrier (a 4” plastic pot with bottom cut out) around each seedling to protect them. October 9, 2014 Japanese Indigo plants generally appeared healthy. It has been used throughout Japanese history to dye Kimonos and other local garments. This quick growing North American native found especially in the Great Plains is commonly referred to as Tickseed, plains coreopsis and calliopsis. Due to the heavy volumes of clean water needed for this process, Ai Zome spread through towns located near clean rivers. These Ai colors are called Nando (Left), Shibuai (Middle Left), Kachiiro (Middle Right) and Shikon (Right). The fruit is an achene which can take a number of shapes, including a disc or a sphere. Add Once Sukumo is delivered to Wanariya, it is mixed with Sake and lye to produce pots of dye liquid. on 1 foot centers. The leaves of the Japanese Indigo can be harvested and used to dye yarn a color between blue and violet, indigo. Ai Zome is a traditional hand-dyeing method using Persicaria tinctoria, a plant more commonly known as Japanese Indigo. the vat (gently squeezing out the excess but not splashing --no air into the I also sprayed Garlic oil repellent for protection and continued to use a sheer cover secured over seedlings. also called: Persicaria tinctoria. white" which is actually a sort of chartreuse green. Over the course of one hour (or longer), slowly bring the temperature to 160 degrees F. Do not (ever) exceed 180 degrees F. Strain out and compost the leaves, pour the brown liquid into a bucket or other large non-reactive container. The general goal of this trial was to document planting, watering, growth and vigor in order to assist the home gardener in their seed selection and seed saving. degrees F. Do not (ever) exceed 180 degrees F. Strain out and compost the leaves, Each of the blue has a name. To protect the young seedlings from direct sun and pests such as birds, the beds were covered with sheer cloth. I bought my first seed packet of persicaria tinctoria (at the time more commonly known as ‘polygonum tinctorium’) from Rowland Ricketts and have since been able to save my own seed for a few years now- making my seed stock the great great great grand blue babies of a beautiful indigo renaissance that Rowland has been instrumental in cultivating in North America. (The author, Rebecca Burgess, uses a solar oven for all coreopsis dye making. Common names include Chinese indigo and Japanese indigo. on 1 foot centers. Dark green, luscious leaves with attractive miniature pink flowers. For more Japan-centric articles like this one, check out Fashion Pathfinder. The leaves of C. tinctoria are pinnately divided, smooth, and glossy while its flowers are brilliant yellow with brown centers. July 31, 2014 The seedlings in the Tickseed bed looked like dandelions. Persicaria tinctoria (Aiton) Spach, formerly known as Polygonum tinctorum L. , Polygonum tinctorium Aiton, Polygonum tinctorium Lour., Ampelygonum tinctorium (Aiton) Steud., Pogalis tinctoria (Aiton) Raf.) New York: Artisan. It is native to Eastern Europe and Asia. You will begin to see the clear water change to yellow in the first five minutes. In April and May I seeded a flat each of the harvested Japanese Indigo seed from January in hopes of having plants for Elkus for Sheep to Shawl. A frost tender annual that likes fertile soil, heat and humidity but will grow almost anywhere. Common names include Japanese Indigo and Chinese Indigo. Especially SD-DO3 from Studio D’artisan and AI-001 from pure blue japan are the masterpieces of Ai Zome Jeans.