is a polyurethane finish advisable for a marble floor? Now not every woodworking situation is as nice and flat and open as this sample piece I’m showing you here now, but the same process can be used on any kind of shape or profile. Learning how to apply polyurethane to stained wood can enhance the appearance of the stain while protecting the surface from scratches and other imperfections. If you’re going to apply water-based polyurethane, dampen the cloth with water. Getting a smooth, blemish-free finish with oil-based polyurethane is within your grasp if you follow the steps in this article. Main Author of ‘TheHomeDigs‘. There’s no need for painting. I’m not talking about using this sander for sanding, but rather for buffing a finish that you’ve already applied. 2020, When you going to do the first coating on the floor, you might want to know what is the best way to apply oil based polyurethane? Please let me know how you make out. Always wear gloves, mask and eyeglass while preparing the polyurethane liquid and at the time of applying all three coats. Minwax 63005444 Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Finish, quart, Semi-Gloss . That’s not to say you should apply each coat thickly. It only took me about five minutes to convert this cloudy lens to this much clearer lens using the buffing compound on that random orbit sander with the abrasive pad. Polyurethane wood finish makes your hardwood floors durable as well as water resistance. I am advised not to wax my marble floor because marble cannot "breathe" under wax. Make sure that no dust or water droplet enters the room. Essentially a plastic in the form of a liquid until it dries, polyurethane is available in … 98. When you get to the bottom of this article, check out my video on how I used buffing techniques to get rid of scuffs and scratches on my vehicles. Start with 120-grit sandpaper on refinished pieces and 80-grit on new wood. You can use water based or oil based polyurethane to make your wooden surface glow. 03:51 Well, I’m very pleased with what’s happened here. In this article I’ll show you how it applies here to a polyurethane wood finishes — either oil-based or water based. I mean, this is not a new vehicle. Another drawback of solvent-based polyurethane finishes is that they can yellow the wood finish slightly. 23 GAUGE PIN NAILERS: Best Kept Woodworking Secret, OUTDOOR WOOD FINISHING: Favourite One-Time Treatment Now With Colour, SOFFIT & FASCIA: How-To Installation Your Own Aluminum Soffit & Fascia, Cordless Tool Battery Test Yields Surprising Results, How Today’s Best Cordless Tools Work Better, HOW TO STAY SANE IN A LESS-THAN-SANE WORLD, Quartersawn Wood Lumber: Why Woodworkers Should Be Looking At The Ends of Boards, MILL YOUR OWN MICRO-LUMBER: Tricks for Sawing Real Boards From Small Logs, GENERATORS FOR OUTDOOR LIVING: Features to Look for As You Shop, BASEMENT SUBFLOOR INSTALLATION TIPS: See How It’s Done in the Real World, FLAT TIRE FIX: Don’t Forget Grandpa’s Advice About Valve Leaks. In my house, after the PU coat of gates and external doors, the applicator used wax to do the buffing to provide smooth finish. It will take 20-30 minutes for a medium-sized room’s floor. Both leave a strong protective coat on the wood, and they each have advantages and disadvantages. in the grain direction to hide fine Clear Dust From the Surface and the Space The buffing approach I’ve used has worked very well. Work over the whole area evenly and slowly in a grid pattern. If I can’t, and I really don’t know what I’m gonna run into yet, I’m gonna continue. as you work, shine a light at a low angle across the surface. I have a 6″ orbital polisher to work with. You just do all the work by hand, and these are flexible enough that they can go around contours and along the edges of panels where they meet stiles and rails, so you can get this kind of result on any surface you might be dealing with.