The last syllable is stressed: commit becomes committing, The last syllable is not stressed: whisper becomes whispering. stream (The form of the present participle is: base+ing, e.g. -->. 7 0 obj Examples of this use include: Marc is making pizza now. Present Continuous Tense is used to describe a continued or an on-going action of the present. Actions which are happening at or around the moment of speaking. talking, playing, moving, smiling) <> 6 0 obj © EF Education First Ltd 2020. Note: alternative negative contractions: I'm not going, you're not going, he's not going etc. <> endobj %���� <> one-syllable verbs. l�ǚw���@~ 9��%L/����s5I�0̕+�~Ufd�S���������S����~�S�����_�R�z����?� ��������% �yΧ�j��?�=�]����c���#����K.�s�@���ϨϪS ��������r��>��T�y���X^R�s�WZ��1�~>�>W�i��v�^����i�P�/��ik}���2�~ƚ�F�����i�Ï����Zyn�_�g���Y��s��槞g��~�m�J��ϙ�Cg2��gҽ8�. Forming the present continuous The present continuous of any verb is composed of two parts - the present tense of the verb to be + the present participle of the main verb. 1. I _____ (watch) a reality show on TV. do becomes doing ask becomes asking. To make continuous verbs add-ing to the base verb:. Translate begin in context, with examples of use and definition. Forming the present continuous. 3 0 obj endobj .style3 {font-weight: bold} 4 0 obj For words that end w, x and y, do not double the last consonant; just add -ing: enjoy becomes enjoying study becomes studying. <> .style5 {color: #F60; font-weight: bold; } silent 'e' When the verb ends with a silent e, drop the e and add-ing:. When the last syllable is not stressed, just add -ing. �x�`s�g� �7Ϧ�� �^���7 Cp��k P{����t����o���\�����>�����z�K�x�M,��Ι:����ʠ3�V|��p�zBǠ�܄�A$��B;'�����q�~"}. talking, playing, moving, smiling). These verbs may be used in the continuous form but with a different meaning. endobj Present continuous tense can be used in questions as well. Temporary situations. To make continuous verbs add -ing to the base verb: When the verb ends with a silent e, drop the e and add -ing: make becomes making take becomes taking. The present continuous of any verb is composed of two parts - the present tense of the verb to be + the present participle of the main verb. All rights reserved. make becomes making take becomes taking . x�}�MO�@���|L�2�=_�TeEҔe�-,���P햂�����{�� talking, playing, moving, smiling) (The form of the present participle is: base+ing, e.g. When someone uses the present continuous, they are thinking about something that is unfinished or incomplete. 2. .style7 {font-weight: bold} .style6 {font-weight: bold} O Present Progressive também pode ser utilizado para fazer referência ao futuro. • Now I’mdoing the washing up. When words have two or more syllables ending in CVC, you must double the last consonant if the last syllable is stressed. �Q>m�ǀU����[email protected]��Č��ׯRDGhv�Wq�+���6 ��P�s�YC��d�y�Z�8�'��� WqD �e�/��Ƒ2�m7��{GI��B�ӳvަ'���O�9���N��lq�sH�LB;�%�qԆ/���l�[��qhE�|o����s��6� 5 0 obj They are eating lunch right now. <>>> (The form of the present participle is: base+ing, e.g. The present continuous of any verb is composed of two parts - the present tense of the verb to be + the present participle of the main verb. • She is working very hard nowadays. stream 2 0 obj 3. 1 0 obj continuous verbs. 2. .style1 {color: #F60} My favourite team _____ (win)! As with all tenses in English, the speaker's attitude is as important as the time of the action or event. endstream endobj Frances is talking on the phone at the moment. The verbs in the list below are normally used in the simple form because they refer to states, rather than actions or processes. ��s>]=/=���+$� �Q� I�J���+�L�� D�L��c9�^>C���\�����f�m�����wP���sJ>E�p�[� �������N�i�f"a��H��$�p�7�Լ /����I��23�����z���=�}LM���qZ9Z��a������Gb/U"�y