Saint Charles Borromeo Award Dinner honoring Patricia and Gary Holloway postponed to. He was not an accomplished theologian, but was known for his intelligence and especially for his acute pastoral wisdom and straightforward, incisive preaching. April 21, 2021 at the Union League of Philadelphia He became embroiled with the Milanese Senate and with the viceroy, Luis de Requesens y Zúñiga, as well as with the rebellious canons of Santa Maria della Scala and the order of the Humiliati (“The Humble Ones”). According to Knox, raising-up men like Charles Borromeo during the most difficult moments of Church history is part of the designs of God’s Providence: Say what you will, Italy breeds the genius for government. The joke also testifies to the essential role seminary formation plays in preparing clergyman for the holy work Christ calls them to undertake in his name. Saint Charles Borromeo made his own the words of Christ: “…I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me” (Matthew 25:35-36). He once ordered an atonement procession and appeared in it with a rope about his neck, with bare and bloody feet, a cross upon his shoulder—thus presenting himself as an expiatory sacrifice for his people to ward off divine punishment. Colleges for lay students also were erected and entrusted to the Jesuits. Let us know if you have suggestions to improve this article (requires login). There is an old joke that the priest is just the seminarian ordained, and then an extension which says that the bishop is the priest ordained once again. Plenary Indulgences for the deceased faithful. Thank you. Responding to the spiritual, disciplinary, moral, and theological threats of his own time, St. Charles worked tirelessly to perform a most fundamental priestly act: to bring Christ to his people, and to bring people to Christ. So the greatest of Latin poets saw, and summed it up for us in a phrase: Others shall quicken bronze with softer grace, Jn 8:12 and 1:5). —Excerpted from The Way of the Saints, Tom Cowan. As a cardinal and later as Archbishop of Milan, St. Charles Borromeo promoted a great program of … While vigorous debate is welcome and encouraged, please note that in the interest of maintaining a civilized and helpful level of discussion, comments containing obscene language or personal attacks—or those that are deemed by the editors to be needlessly combative or inflammatory—will not be published. His popularity with the people disturbed the Milanese senate, and his disciplinary directives antagonized several religious groups. Come…, This former Warner Bros. exec is making digital media work for the Church, What has gone wrong? Ronald Knox tells a story about Julius Caesar that illustrates a foundational truth about how St. Charles and other reformers faced the storms buffeting the Church of the sixteenth century: When Julius Caesar wished to cross from Durazzo to Brindisi in a little boat, and the master of it wanted to turn back, because the wind had risen and he was in danger of shipwreck, Caesar rebuked him for his cowardice in noble words that have come down to us: ‘Take courage, my friend, take courage, and fear nothing; Caesar is your passenger, and Caesar’s fortunes are your freight.’ With greater, and with better grounded confidence, the Church of God, which is Peter’s boat, has breasted the waves all through her troubled history. Time for the Bishops to do their…, Right On. The untimely death of his elder brother brought Charles to a definite decision to be ordained a priest, despite his relatives’ insistence that he marry. St. Charles Borromeo and institutional Reform. all of them are connecting with Joliette's terminus on rue Fabre. In 1559, when his uncle, Cardinal de Medici was elected Pope Pius IV, he made Charles cardinal-deacon and administrator of the Archdiocese of Milan. The reform needed in every phase of Catholic life among both clergy and laity was initiated at a provincial council of all the bishops under him. Map with more skill, and con the stars that rise: From 1566 Charles directed the Church in Milan, since his services in Rome had come to an end with his uncle's death in 1565. Imploring his priests to remain steadfast in their duties to the sick and dying, he challenged them: “We have only one life and we should spend it for Jesus and souls—not as we wish, but at the time and in the way God wishes.”. A true mediator, he implored forgiveness day and night from the throne of grace. The oldest and most complete biography of St. Charles Borromeo is G. P. Giussano, The Life of St. Charles Borromeo (1610; trans., 2 vols., 1884), written by a friend and disciple of the saint. Upon the death of his uncle, Borromeo took part in the conclave that elected Pius V (1566). Copyright © 2020 LoveToKnow. Your email address will not be published. Saint Charles was from Arona, near Milan, and spent a great deal of his early adulthood in Rome. During a plague he walked barefooted in the public streets, carrying a cross, with a rope around his neck, offering himself as a victim to God for the transgressions of his people.