The health benefits of eating any type of dark leafy green vegetable, is as one friend mentions, nutritional “cash” for the body. In this recipe, I have sautéed collard greens in palm oil. Although, southern lore proclaims collard greens are sweeter after the first frost of the fall to winter seasons. Stir in the tomatoes, collard greens, bay leaves, and thyme; cover, reduce heat to medium low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until collards are tender, about 20 minutes. Collard greens are nutrient-rich containing vitamin A, C, K, B, especially niacin. This dish can be prepared a day in advance and reheated. 745. Ingredients It’s fresh food fast. 20.6 g fresh collard greens. I continue to get excited about preparing the foods that I really enjoy, in a healthier way. 1. Serve hot with your favorite meal. 6 %, lbs collard greens, stems and leaves finely shredded, kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper. Get it? Maybe for New Years, you’ll show me a recipe for “Chitterlings”? It’s a logical evolution, because the fresh taste of these quick, garlicky greens is quite addictive. When any of these systems are compromised, the risk for cancer significantly increases. Repeat until the water is clear in the bowl and without grit or dirt (a minimum of three times). Also, collard greens are rich in magnesium and calcium making this healthy dish the powerhouse of nutrients. Be careful not to brown the onions. In a large skillet, melt butter, then add onions and crushed red pepper flakes, saute. 2 to 3 garlic cloves; slice paper-thin We had sautéed collard greens last and enjoyed them immensely. Ingredients 1 tbsp. Stewed Collard Greens with Tomatoes. [Or: What NOT to say to a fit girl!]. If this interests you, don’t leave out the oil, because braising (in oil) releases more of some different nutrients than does water, or vinegar or the Vitamin C in the tomatoes. Your email address will not be published. the rational was that each “Method” of cooking frees up more nutrients for use in your body so making the iron and other nurtients more “bio-avialable”. The debate for adding vinegar comes down to a personal taste. each has a purpose. Use the extra time on a weekend to pre-cut and thoroughly wash the greens. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Chipotle’s Viral Ad Aims to Rebrand Fast-Food: Manipulative or Business-as-Usaual? Add the greens, season with salt and pepper and toss to wilt. This is a dish popular in the southern US states and originally comes from Africa. 5. After prepping all ingredients, heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium to high temperature. 5 Beet’em with Tomato Recipes for the next Barbeque, Life & Times: Jourdan Dunn Shares her Hot Wings Recipe Just in Time for Bowl Season, What’s the Best Way to Compliment a Fit Girl? The cancer-fighting nutrients provided by collard greens supports three majors systems of the body: Detox, antioxidant, and inflammatory/anti-inflammatory. Place greens in a colander to drain and dry for at least an hour. Stir-fried greens are usually served as breakfast or lunch in my household. *As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. This salad is jam-packed with flavour and nutrition. » Adjust ingredient portions to a personal taste. Let’s be honest, cleaning collard greens for a stir-fry is quite a process. 5. butter 1 small onion; slice thin 2 to 3 garlic cloves; slice paper-thin 1/2 tsp. Repeat until all of the collar greens are cut. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat; add the garlic, onions, and jalapeno and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Gradually, they’re replacing my other comfort dish of slow simmering greens. Serve this healthy salad as a main, starter or as a side dish Read More. Adding this delicious superfood to your diet will promote good health. The greens won’t dry completely, for this step is to remove most of the moisture before bagging. Keep them recipes coming. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Regardless of the season, collard greens are one of the few vegetables to enjoy year-round. Sauté onion and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet or wok 1 minute. Like green eggs and ham for breakfast? The wide, tender dark green leaf is what’s needed for this recipe. See photo illustration no. This vegetarian side is loaded with super nutrients such as vitamin A, K, C, Calcium and is also high in fiber. Using your hands, swirl the water around the greens to loosen any grit. 1. When gifted with a few hours of solitude on a rainy weekend morning, it’s an opportunity to cook a true, comfort Southern meal of Roast Herbal Chicken, mash potatoes, apple pie, and Southern-Style Collard Greens. Mix them into scrambled eggs. Add shrimp. I had a similar recipe years ago that began with sauteing the onion for five minutes in oil, adding the greens and cooking for five minutes, then adding vinegar or lemon juice cook for five minutes then add tomatoes and five more minutes. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Can’t wait to try it! Fold into an omelet. Collard greens are nutrient rich containing vitamin A, C, K, B vitamins especially niacin. Using a knife, cut and discard the long tough light green stem by cutting on both sides. Oh yeah this was Fabulously Delicious!!!! 2 bunches organic collard greens cut into 2 inch strips. Remove the bay leaves, … Enjoy stir-fried collard greens throughout the week. This delicious simple collard greens side is a wonderful addition to a weight loss diet Read More, The robust flavour of kale and the earthy taste of kabocha squash combine especially well with ginger curry vinaigrette. Toss with spaghetti pasta and Parmesan cheese for a quick dinner. It’s true that Southern-Style Collard Greens lose their nutrients because of the longer cooking time, but such a comfort dish served with buttermilk cornbread aids in our mental health as well. Boris Kodjoe Says You’re Not “Keeping It Sexy” If You Gain Weight During A Marriage, Michelle Obama Urges Food Companies to Promote Healthier Foods to Kids, Miss America Nina Davuluri Lost 70 Pounds to Capture Crown, American Tennis Star Sloane Stephens Opens Up on Tennis, Beef with Serena, & Fashion, Vera Wang Upgrades Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleaders. To Clean Collard Greens: Place sliced collard greens in a very large bowl and cover with cold water. 6. Place them over a freshly baked wheat bread and top with prosciutto for an open-faced sandwich at lunch.