You would use past tense stated rather than present tense state, but there's nothing wrong with using said several times, and it's often preferable to other synonyms. The words were dead to the uncomprehending of the world; but in truth they were only born -- much as someone would be born again or saved. So, A said, “You must know about computer hardware”, or, A said that I needed to know about computer hardware. I think this is going to be a wonderful adventure! { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_SR' }}, { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_SR' }}, googletag.pubads().setTargeting("cdo_tc", "resp"); bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162036', zoneId: '776160', position: 'atf' }}, bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162036', zoneId: '776130', position: 'btf' }}, If it is necessary to your writing that the reader understand the context through which the person spoke, you can get a little more created. { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_leftslot_160x600' }}, A word is dead when it is said Some say – I say it just begins to live That day. { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_topslot' }}, bids: [{ bidder: 'rubicon', params: { accountId: '17282', siteId: '162036', zoneId: '776160', position: 'atf' }}, This thread is archived. { bidder: 'triplelift', params: { inventoryCode: 'Cambridge_MidArticle' }}, "This is a story about a gir... What is "hipstar" ? { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '194852', size: [300, 250] }}, var mapping_houseslot_b = googletag.sizeMapping().addSize([963, 0], []).addSize([0, 0], [300, 250]).build(); For example, check today's leading article in The Guardian. I read into readings and writings and actions. I am lucky indeed to find they are read. { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11654149' }}, { bidder: 'pubmatic', params: { publisherId: '158679', adSlot: 'cdo_rightslot' }}]}, The way I had previously seen this poem was in two stanzas; each stanza had three lines. The owner of it will not be notified. As Hugo alludes, their are many words that mean some variation of "said", like "stated", "replied", "averred", "added", "explained", etc. Sometimes the words on the paper are there to convey nothing more than what’s on the paper. I had applied this quote in my life and it works well. ga('send', 'pageview'); Add when all is said and done to one of your lists below, or create a new one. You can also use the Search function (below the Header). var mapping_topslot_b = googletag.sizeMapping().addSize([746, 0], [[728, 90]]).addSize([0, 0], []).build(); dfpSlots['topslot_a'] = googletag.defineSlot('/2863368/topslot', [], 'ad_topslot_a').defineSizeMapping(mapping_topslot_a).setTargeting('sri', '0').setTargeting('vp', 'top').setTargeting('hp', 'center').addService(googletag.pubads()); Thanks for your concern, though." ( Log Out /  You would use past tense stated rather than present tense state, but there's nothing wrong with using said several times, and it's often preferable to other synonyms.. From the Guardian style guide:. 'min': 8.50, When do we ever see the "commander" on xcom game? your own Pins on Pinterest { bidder: 'onemobile', params: { dcn: '8a969411017171829a5c82bb4deb000b', pos: 'cdo_topslot_728x90' }}, { bidder: 'criteo', params: { networkId: 7100, publisherSubId: 'cdo_btmslot' }}, To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. googletag.pubads().setTargeting("cdo_pc", "dictionary"); { bidder: 'openx', params: { unit: '539971063', delDomain: 'idm-d.openx.net' }}, What is a layman's alternative to the IT word “datetime”? Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. "Said" is a simple word that conveys the simple idea that someone spoke. (1) In my experience, you don’t use the word “that” with exact quotations, only paraphrases (a.k.a. But we don’t write out our intentions. var pbMobileLrSlots = [ gdpr: { I spent years trying to figure out what the author was trying to say. rev 2020.11.24.38066, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, English Language & Usage Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. iasLog("exclusion label : mcp"); what should I answer with googletag.pubads().setTargeting("cdo_pt", "entry"); There are some fascinating and profound depths to this short poem (which ga('require', 'displayfeatures'); pid: '94' normally preferable to added, commented, declared, pointed out, ejaculated, etc; you can avoid too many "saids", whether quoting someone or in reported speech, quite easily reported speech Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. expires: 60 window.__tcfapi('addEventListener', 2, function(tcData, success) { { bidder: 'sovrn', params: { tagid: '387232' }}, As far as the emissions-trading system is concerned, it is. What is the difference between von and durch ? In which single word can this be summarized? example of metaphor: In fact, the word she is uttering is her word--"I say..." So, her own peace of mind (or personal salvation) comes from "just" believing her own word is alive. { bidder: 'appnexus', params: { placementId: '11653860' }}, Is it possible for a vertebrate creature to have a ribcage/chest mouth? googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; DiscoverLIA COVID-19Ludwig Initiative Against COVID-19. iasLog("criterion : cdo_ei = when-all-is-said-and-done"); It could mean: 1. googletag.pubads().setTargeting("cdo_dc", "english"); There is a song I played so much, once upon a time, that I thought I would wear a groove in the CD. { bidder: 'ix', params: { siteId: '195451', size: [300, 50] }}, The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. "Someone once said that about Enduring Love". type: "html5", said normally preferable to added, commented, declared, pointed out, ejaculated, etc; you can avoid too many "saids", whether quoting someone or in reported speech, quite easily if(!isPlusPopupShown()) {code: 'ad_rightslot', pubstack: { adUnitName: 'cdo_rightslot', adUnitPath: '/2863368/rightslot' }, mediaTypes: { banner: { sizes: [[300, 250]] } },