I just love the consistency of fresh tomatoes when they cook down like this, they get almost jammy, which makes for a fantastic sauce that really grips to the meatballs. Cool and prepare as above. Spicy!! Unauthorized use and/or duplication of text and/or photographs from this blog without express and written permission of the author and owner of this blog are strictly prohibited. Made these today with gluten free breadcrumbs as my best friend who has coeliacs cane round for dinner and they were fantastic, even my picky 3 year old ate most of hers! 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil. Finely slice the chilli, trimmed spring onions and coriander stalks (reserving the leaves), put them into the large pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then squash in the unpeeled garlic through a garlic crusher. Am I blind? Oh man, these sound so good. Maybe a swig of wine to wash it down. 1 large egg, lightly beaten. What Do I Serve Alongside This Smoky Spanish Meatballs Recipe? Reserve the oil in the pan for the tomato sauce. Let's make some at home. Divide into 4, then roll each piece into 4 balls with wet hands, placing them in the frying pan as you roll them and adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil. 3/4 cup (50g) white bread crumbs. Now I can! You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site. Not as it would turn out, how my kids like it....enter the family-friendly version of my favorite Spanish meatballs recipe. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Let bubble until reduced by half, then stir in the chopped tomatoes, water, and sugar. I've seen some meatballs in my time (and let's be honest, I'm not gonna turn any of them down) but these are quite possibly the most captivating one's I've ever seen. Hot, spicy and smoky! Increase the heat slightly and pour in the wine. My sister and I used to hole up there for a couple of hours on a Friday night and just while away the night chatting, eating great food and drinking cheap wine. I love a smoky flavor profile and I've never had that with meatballs before. This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. I would love it if you joined me on a journey of creating happy people and happier bellies by cutting down on the processed foods in our diets, and indulging instead in delicious whole foods. They come from the town of Breda in Catalunya and are made from clay local to that region. Cayenne? I am so glad you enjoyed these! Favorite meals and special desserts of the Tennant clan. It's roughly a 15 minute process on low heat. Great recipe! Once frozen, remove the meatballs from the trays and transfer to plastic freezer storage bags or other freezer storage. Homemade meatballs are a super handy meal to have stored away in the freezer for meal prepping. If you only have fresh bread place slices on a baking sheet and dry out slightly in a 300-degree-Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes. Follow the instructions for cooking the meatballs (in the recipe below). Hi, I'm Donna. Learn how your comment data is processed. I also love your tips for making them in advance. To cook the meatballs, heat the olive oil in a large, wide pan. Catch all those delicious drippings with some great tasting artisan bread. Adjust the seasoning of the uncooked mixture as necessary. Roughly chop and mix all the salad veg for the salad on a board. They like meat....but it's gotta be tasty and I love the assortment of spices in your recipe. There is nothing like a great tapas place to visit and nosh, unless it's your own house where you've recreated the dishes! Oh these would be so perfect for hubby's card guys. Serve with warmed tortillas on the side to stuff with meatballs and mop up that tasty sauce. I would go about half this size and make 24 meatballs for tapas. We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article. Not the wimpy white bread you get from the store. Thanks for taking the time to pop in and let me know . https://www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk/recipes/spanish-meatballs Your email address will not be published. « How to Maintain Healthy Lifestyle Habits When Life Gets Busy, How To Help Your Family Reduce Food Waste At Home ». We served ours with rice and it worked really well. Don't stress about getting all the meatballs the exact same size. I love a good saucy smoky meatball! You can find a full index of my recipes here. I always buy a heap when they are in season and then can them for the rest of the year, but I know a LOT of people wouldn't want to go to that effort! While meatballs and spaghetti are a classic, this recipe is full of aromatic spices and accompanied with a refreshing chopped salad and harissa yoghurt. Stir in the tomatoes and return the meatballs to the pan. I can't seem to find the breadcrumb directions in the "notes". Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust and use myself. It's such an awesome flavour, and so much fun to play around with. No you are not blind, they seem to have completely disappeared?!? I have never noticed the boxed ones, will have to keep an eye out for them! Don’t forget to follow Whole Food Bellies on Pinterest for more recipe inspiration! I think I'll go for some crusty bread because that sauce looks too good to waste. But being able to make these meatballs at home means you can just tell her to bring the cheap wine and you guys can lock yourself away from the kids , Haha now that I am back in Australia I would say that is a fantastic plan , Your email address will not be published. These sound amazing! I don't know how but those directions seem to have disappeared. You need the chewy delicious hearty bread to go along with terrific smoky spicy Spanish meatballs. Just beautiful. So glad you included tips on how to properly freeze these, because I can see myself making a lot of them! Kids will love dipping their meatballs in the fragrant and smokey tomato sauce and then mopping up any leftovers with some fresh crusty bread. Use a slotted spoon to remove the meatballs and transfer to a plate. Right, cauliflower rice goes so well with the tomato sauce! Crazy how our eating habits completely change when kids come into the picture. Divide the meatballs and tomato sauce between warm bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve. Spanish meatballs, albondigas, tapas meatball thingy's, whatever you call them in your house, I can guarantee a huge handful of us have tried these little bites at one time or another at a restaurant. Add the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, then season to taste. Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. I love hearing your feedback and answering your questions! Add the chilled meatballs and pan-fry for 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned all over. Mix the mince in a bowl with salt, pepper and the garam masala. Vegan Appetizers Appetizer Recipes Indian Appetizers Whole Food Recipes Cooking Recipes Gf Recipes Polenta Cakes Grilled Polenta Italian Recipes. Season with salt and pepper and use your hands to knead the mixture until it is smooth. How to freeze your homemade Spanish meatballs: Why Does This Recipe Use Fresh Tomatoes Rather Than Canned? I have used canned recipes for these Spanish meatballs before, and to be honest, if it was the dead of winter and fresh tomatoes were not readily available, then canned would do just fine. Okay, I hate to be the bad guy here but I have to say these taste nothing like authentic Spanish Albondiagas (meatballs). That tomato sauce deserves to be slathered over a slice of bread and eaten in alternating bites with the meatballs. Glad you were able to make it work for you . Hot, spicy and smoky! Definitely a card night meal . Ooh I hadn't thought about putting them in a sub - great idea! For the best results, add the bread chunks in small batches. He does however love dipping veggies into the tomato sauce from this recipe, so as long as he eat one meatball he can get away with it . Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will definitely be making it again! I LOVE Spanish meatballs, but I've never made them at home. Add in the paprika and cook for a further minute until fragrant. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Toss regularly until dark golden all over. This recipe is by no means an attempt at a traditional recipe, hence the title referring to it being one the whole family will love...I do love traditional Spanish meatballs, but I find for a lot of kids the flavor is way too intense, hence the variation here. 1oz (25g) Manchego (or cheddar), grated. Place on a large plate, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 30 minutes to allow them to firm up.