In a heatproof dish, place the ginger slices then place the fish head on top of the ginger slices. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Steaming Setups. thick, 2 green onions, cut in 2-in.-long slivers. Your email address will not be published. Sprinkle ginger evenly over fish. The freshness of the fish head topped with loads of black bean and garlic sauce goes so well with steamed rice. Unlike Malaysia, fish fillets are plentiful and can be easily found at Asian stores in the United States. I certainly hope that what I do will help guide kitchen first-timers on how to cook their first meal as well as further equip kitchen veterans with new recipes. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our, 1 package (18 oz.) And make sure the eyes are clear, not cloudy. Enter your email address to join the #BeyondNormFamily and follow our journey! 1)Heat up the wok and add in some cooking oil. Choose a 10- to 12-in.-wide steamer for greatest versatility. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. This recipe is only 84 calories per serving. I remembered the good old days when my dad will bring back a packet or two of seafood daily for my mum to cook. Wash the fish in cold running water. It gives a richer flavor than the ginger+spring onions+soy sauce version. It is easy to prepare and is done in less than 20 minutes. If you must use fish on ice, pick one that is properly store (well-covered with ice, not sitting in a puddle of cold water). thick. 4)Add the black bean sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and sesame oil and stir fry until the fish is cooked. 2.9 g Rasa Malaysia © 2002–2020 Bee Interactive Corp, sole fish fillet, cut into pieces and marinate with 1/2 tablespoon corn starch, small green bell pepper, cut into small pieces, corn starch, mix with 3 tablespoons water, Stir-fried Fish Fillet with Black Bean Sauce, « Capellini with Cockle Clams and Lemon Butter Sauce. While water is coming to a boil, cut tofu in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into rectangles about 1/2 in. As much as I'd like to remain objective on Chinese food, it's hard to hide my favoritism towards Cantonese fish. But luckily–BIG phew!—there is this one and only shot on the other flash card (which was full). Good Food Deal No wonder steamed fish became so entrenched in the diet. ( Log Out /  https://rasamalaysia.com/recipe-stir-fried-fish-fillet-with Set wok on a ring if it wobbles. How fortunate we were then and yet I didn’t appreciate it. Ladle the mixture over the fish head and garnish with coriander and red chilli. My name is Josephine Go. With a sharp knife, make a slit in the belly almost to the tail. SUNSET is a registered trademark You can replace salmon with any fish you like. All Rights Reserved. basket right in a 14- to 16-in. Total Carbohydrate My loving husband and two wonderful children are my best guinea pigs and critics. ( Log Out /  Less is more - No need for soy sauce, cooking wine, or lots of oil. above surface of water. - Cantonese restaurants take pride in their enormous fish tanks. Layer baskets to cook more than one dish. Choose the type of message you'd like to post, 1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger (optional), 1 tbsp of finely chopped spring onions (optional). Mind you, I did not know how to cook or ever knew that I could cook till I got married. Other fish recipes we have on the blog include the spicy Duo Jiao Yu which we make with tofu and if you like Shanghai style food, the Hong Shao Yu or braised red-cooked fish. Fill your wok with 2 to 3 inches of water and bring to boil. And reduce the dried chilli…. Cover and steam until fish in center is barely opaque in thickest part (cut to test), 6 to 8 minutes (fish will continue to cook after you remove it from heat). (Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!). Welcome! Copyright © 2020 Sunset Publishing Corporation. Add fish to reserved marinade and mix to coat. You may use Carp (Song fish) but personally I am not a fan of freshwater fish, so I used Red Snapper. Clean your fish and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Check for doneness by poking the flesh with a spoon or chopstick at the thickest point; if the flesh flakes off easily, your fish is done. wash the salmon, put them in a nice plate, set aside for steaming later on And I used spicy black bean paste lee Kum kee also. Set a 10- to 12-in. Previously, I had used sole fish fillet to make ikan panggang (Malaysian grilled fish wrapped with banana leaves). I blog at BeyondNorm.com in a segment called Mummy’s Kitchen. New! Prep and Cook Time: about 30 minutes. No part of the content (digital photographs, recipes, articles, etc.) Well, I will have to share them with you in the near future. Pieces of fish coated with pungent black-bean garlic sauce steam atop melt-in-your-mouth tofu pedestals. Black-bean garlic sauce, made from fermented salted black beans, can be found in many supermarkets and Asian grocery stores, as can Shaoxing rice wine, a cooking wine. ! Anyway, this is my stir-fried fish fillet with black bean sauce. Cook the mixture over low heat for 2 minutes then add the Shaoxing wine. Hope you will try this recipe and be generous and give us some feedback/comments via our blog. Can't spell Rasa Malaysia? My sea bass fillet are pretty thick so I steam for 10 minutes total on them. Serves 3 to 4. Hi! Pick a live one. Some of my recipes may not be in line with the traditional methods of cooking to the extent that some of the ingredients are different, but hopefully new recipes are being created in my style. I think it’s good also with the prawns/shrimp…. Kaput. You need only a few seasonings for the fish, and the steaming will create a natural sauce. molasses, 1 pound skinned halibut or salmon fillet, about 1/2 in. I make this with fish fillets, usually Chilean sea bass but any firm, white fillet will work. Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen. Notes: Use water-packed soft tofu (sometimes labeled silken) rather than the tofu sold in aseptic packages. Turn off the heat.