I Love those David Sunflower Seeds in the shell where you have to crack them and spit out the shell. First, make sure you use light olive oil, not extra-virgin. However, how you eat is almost as important as what you eat. ... For the Whole30, it helps to get out of the mindset of having the need to snack. I dont eat handfulls of dried cranberries, I would just like to put them in salads. Friend or Foe? I'm confused. These oils should never be consumed during Whole30 both at home and when out to eat. These rules are written in stone, and non-negotiable. You might learn something pretty wonderful about yourself. Actually, they're not technically out. Plus, nuts and seeds are notoriously difficult to digest, especially in volume, and they tend to be food without brakes for lots of people. Thanks Tom. Thanks!!! (The EVOO tastes way too heavy.) I figure this is not allowed but thought it wouldnt hurt to ask. use avocado oil, but we find the overall flavor too heavy, and don’t recommend it. While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. By I was a little confused as I read that Sunflower Butter is a good alternative for Peanut Butter, but Sunflower Oil is a bad choice for cooking fat. Are these okay or avoid foods? The seeds used to make these oils have been bred to contain more healthy monounsaturated fats and less polyunsaturated fats, making their nutrition profile almost identical to olive oil. If I am interpreting this correctly, then I don't have to panic about the sunflower butter that I had today that has sunflower oil as an ingredient? Try making your own chicken broth? brb, Robin and I need to pull Johnny out to the stocks. Better Can I use it? I was a little confused as I read that Sunflower Butter is a good alternative for Peanut Butter, but Sunflower Oil is a bad choice for cooking fat. Here's a comment about it from the Whole30 blog post on making mayo: - See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/#sthash.8lqiF86C.dpuf. So, I'd say your gut instinct was right in that using sunflower seeds as a kind of "junk food" isn't a good idea. I knew I should have asked before eating it! The standard sunflower and safflower are not ideal at all. The It All Starts With Food book is really tough on both oils. Whole30 Moderator Since December 27, 2014. I think if I used it in the context of the meal, and allowed myself 1 handful of nuts and that's it for my fat, then it may not be a bad thing. The standard sunflower and safflower are not ideal at all. The goal is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. The recipe for chicken chowder calls for a quart of chicken broth and every healthy broth I find has either sugar or something non-compliant. The seeds used to make these oils have been bred to contain more healthy … I'm confused on two oils also. It's the "high oleic" part that matters. What Robin said. This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. Here's a comment about it from the Whole30 blog post on making mayo: First, make sure you use light olive oil, not extra-virgin. I assume it would be bad, and not with the W30 program though if I sat with a bag of plain salted sunflower seeds on the couch and watched a football game or something else and used that as "junk food"? Thanks Tom. The recipe for chicken chowder calls for a quart of chicken broth and every healthy broth I find has either sugar or something non-compliant. Thanks in advance! They are the pillars of the Whole30 program, specifically designed to help … Good(ish) There are some oils that should be used in limited amounts at home (meaning not used as a primary cooking fat), but can be eaten outside the home. The Whole30 list of "Can I haves" says limit these two oils to dining out. Try watching football without the old stand bys and behaviors and see how it goes. I know the flavored ones would more than likely be out as I'm sure they might have some non-W30 stuff in them, but what about the plain old salted ones? January 7, 2016 in Can I have ___? You could eat some Whole30 football food instead as a template meal, Ultimate Paleo Super Bowl Recipes - there's a couple not Whole30 on here, they're marked with asterisks *, http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/01/31/ultimate-paleo-super-bowl-recipes/. It's incredibly hard to find dried fruit without preservatives (some have palm oil, some vegetable oil - which would be a no, some have other oils). Some of these oils are: sunflower, grapeseed, canola, safflower, and sesame. You can also use a high-oleic safflower or sunflower oil. ! Safflower/Sunflower Oil: Yes. * Yes, all of them. Remember, it's just for 30 days. For the Whole30, it helps to get out of the mindset of having the need to snack. You. * These rules are your port in the storm, and the place to turn to when what you see on Pinterest or hear from your fitness trainer leaves you feeling confused. This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. Help want to make this recipe. These are the parts of the Whole30 program that apply to every participant, always. Why would they put oil on fruit!!! Help want to make this recipe, I'm confused on two oils also. One of the W30s little loopholes. You can also use a, safflower or sunflower oil. This definitely would not be recommended, but technically it wouldn't be noncompliant. http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/#sthash.8lqiF86C.dpuf, Whole30 Moderator Since December 27, 2014, ghee (usually make my own, sometimes buy it), sesame oil (never use for cooking, just flavor added after). This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies. I just couldn't use it for the entire game. By Basic program guidelines Our Whole30 Program Rulesare always your best source for what is (and isn’t) allowed on the Whole30. What gives? The flavor of all three of these oils is very mild, making it ideal for mayonnaise. The Mayo recipe on this site says these can be used (or light olive oil). September 13, 2012 in Can I have ___? I found a trader joes broth but it has canola and or safflower oil. Right. perrybucsdad, Sorry but you are right - all seed and vegetable oils are out! The goal is to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Until you get to that place, if you find yourself genuinely hungry in between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), the recommendation is to have a mini-meal containing protein, vegetables and fat. I looked at whole foods, they have 20 different kindsof dried cranberries but all with sugar or oil. Have you tried a whole foods or trader joes? High Oilec Organic Sunflower or Safflower Oil. kmg5188, I figure this is not allowed but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. I know you can have sunflower seeds (at least I think you can since they come from a flower and not the ground) but I just wanted to make sure. I wouldn't make them a staple, but they're fine in a limited capacity. JBGR, The only dried cranberries I can find with out sugar have expeller pressed sunflower oil. (The EVOO tastes way too heavy.) okay, so that is a mini-meal containing all three, not just one or two (like the nuts)? I found a trader joes broth but it has canola and or safflower oil. That would not be an appropriate choice, unfortunately. Thanks. I kinda thought it would not be encouraged. By It's the "high oleic" part that matters. I avoid all oils (other than eating out, which is difficult, but I always ask for no oil when possible) except: For mayo, I use either light olive oil or avocado oil. The only dried cranberries I can find with out sugar have expeller pressed sunflower oil. I dont eat handfulls of dried cranberries, I would just like to put them in salads. I guess my thought was to take a handful of these as my fat source for a meal. So, would this apply to other dried fruits? I always use this as my go to snack, as it keeps my mouth busy (cracking and spitting the shells out) and it keeps me snacking slowly, but it is just that... a snack. I always use this as my go to snack, as it keeps my mouth busy (cracking and spitting the shells out) and it keeps me snacking slowly, but it is just that... a snack. Can I use it? Dried cherries are a good substiture for dried cranberries if you can't find ones without oils or added sugar. Cranberries, especially, are really hard to find without one or the other (I think its a preservative thing). December 30, 2014 in Can I have ___? Noshing anything in front of the tv is discouraged, and mindlessly eating any hand-to-mouth snack wouldn't fall into the category of making you more healthy, which is what we're going for, right? So frustrating. Thanks!! (Note, this is, the same as genetically modifying the seeds—these are not GMO products.)