Sprinkle with salt and pepper. i made this for easter last year and have been asked to make it 10 more times since! These sweet potato patties were incredibly yummy! NYT Cooking is a subscription service of The New York Times. If you don’t love the idea of adding an egg as I binder I added about a tablespoon of corn starch to the shredded potatoes (as well as seasonings: garlic powder and cayenne pepper salt and black pepper) it helped keep anything from falling apart and made it really crispy on the outside. Cook until the other side is deeply brown, 3 to 5 minutes more, flipping sections as needed. And so simple. Read more about our affiliate linking policy. So, do you want to know the secret to truly amazing, mind blowing, crazy good hash browns? I had shredded 4 little potatoes so batch 3 was butter and dumped the rest in the pan.. so while batch 2 makes a nice patty, the original recipe is absolutely delicious and it doesn’t matter that it is a nice patty! Disclosure & Privacy Policy, Combine the shredded potato, oil, and spices. Add onions, and saute, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. 5 cups peeled and shredded sweet potato (from 2 medium), 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, © 2020 EatingWell.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. Quick and easy sweet potato hash browns. I will definitely be checking out your other recipes! I’m so happy that you enjoyed them, Jamey! Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. The recipe that turned me into a hash brown person: SWEET POTATO HASH BROWNS. Love the idea of adding cayenne. Sticks together in patties well. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Step 2 It was beautiful I advise people to try it!!! Cook the patties, turning once and lowering heat to medium if the pan gets too hot, until nicely browned on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. I didn't add the bacon because I served it as a side dish. I cut the sweetness with a little sour cream on top. Made of just shredded sweet potatoes and spices, they’re golden and crisp on the outside and meltingly tender on the inside. Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials. Thoughts on using arrowroot powder or corn starch or an egg to hold it together? The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. Not at all a sweet potato fan, but I was out of everything else, so Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Add reserved onions, and cook 2 minutes. I have to cut back on my carb intake and my trainer suggested sweet potato and I was just looking for ways to do that–this recipe is PERFECT! if it’s not perfect). I know it’s frustrating to try a new recipe and not have it turn out, so I hope you were still able to enjoy them! Pour remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil into the skillet, and place over medium-high heat. Even better than white potato!! Notify me of replies to my comment via email. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gently press to spread the mounds out a bit. So I was skeptical bc I don’t love sweet potato fries… but I made these bc I had a sweet potato I needed to get rid of…I followed the recipe and I loved them! I also served it with a bed of spinach an egg and avocado! WELCOME! The tahini dressing from these, For an all-in-one meal, mix the hash browns with rice, sautéed spinach, and a freshly fried egg for a hearty vegetable “bowl.”. Will absolutely make again. Believe me...your taste buds will thank you. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Totally easy and delicious! I’m so happy that you enjoyed the recipe, Kat! So, they do fall apart more than regular hash browns, but the flavor? Savory Scones with Bacon Cheddar and Chives, Try warmed leftover sweet potato hash browns mixed with roasted vegetables, arugula, and a creamy dressing for a hearty green salad. My secrets for making wholesome meals you'll WANT to eat. (See below for tips on how to shred sweet potatoes.) Hash browns are usually too greasy (and not in a “yum!” way like bacon). Sweet potato hash browns? This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Repeat twice more, so that you have 3 hash brown patties in the skillet. I did make it I did a small substitute also. Batch 1 was the regular recipe.. delicious but did not hold together, batch 2 used the egg and coconut oil.. makes a nice patty.. Thank you for sharing this kind review! Flatten each into a patty. I used refried beans and it worked. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. But, if you still feel you want to do something, you can make a small donation (any amount) to Food Literacy Center, a Sacramento-based non-profit that inspires kids to eat their vegetables! Hi Lori, this recipe is a stove-top recipe. I did add just a touch of coconut oil to reduce chance of scorching.