Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. Having it called for in a recipe means that these leaves can be used without any need for chopping. To use fresh thyme instead of dried remember that dried thyme has a much stronger flavor, so more fresh thyme will be required to replace the dried. Stay for a while and let me know what you think of my site. As a matter of fact, the mix of onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric power and thyme is the basic of the taste of the local dishes! I love using thyme in all the above recipes. Turn off the heat and refine the sauce by whisking in cold butter nuggets. Keep the dish covered, and when you are ready to serve, the soup will smell heavenly. Thanks for your support! The fresh lemon essence would noticeably add in lots of freshness. I thought it would be like thyme with a slight lemoniness but the lemony fragrance and taste is actually very intense - it's more like lemon verbena or lemongrass - a type of taste and fragrance I can only enjoy in smallish doses (don't like lemongrass at all). To strip the leaves from the stems, hold a stalk at the top and then firmly run the thumb and forefinger of your other hand along the stalk from top to bottom – the leaves should break off as you go. However, once the stew is cooked, you may add finely chopped leaves to the pot and serve. Use thyme in a medley with parsley, peppercorns, cloves, and bay leaf for a more aromatic stock of chicken or vegetable. All Rights Reserved. Use fresh thyme in less quantity as opposed to using its dried counterpart. Thyme also is a great complement for many vegetables, including tomatoes and roasted potatoes. The time-tested versatility of thyme in French cuisine, make it a staple herb in most kitchens then and now. The Victorians believed that a patch of thyme found in the woods meant that fairies danced and lived there. Avoid any that are dry, brown or mouldy. Try using thyme when making your own jam, jelly, or marmalade. ​1. It works well on colds, coughs, asthma and excess mucous. It can help with PMT and menopausal symptoms. Greeks and Romans are believed to have added this herb directly to their baths; and oil extracts from the plant were used to make bath and massage oils. It is so delicious. It increases the amount of good fats in the body that are essential to protect the heart. Cooking with thyme adds flavor to meat, stews, soups, beans and more. Vegetables and seafood have a mild taste and are usually not overcooked. It’s so delicious, I’m literally salivating as I think of it. Depending on the specific variety you use (and there are over 100 of them! I usually stick with rosemary so reading this really helps. I was not aware that it loses its flavor if cooked too long. A lake for everyone, confessions of a pool crasher, and the BBQ king of California. Sprigs may also be used whole, stem included, if intended to be removed before serving or if to be left intentionally in the dish as a garnish. Learn how your comment data is processed. Leaves without the stem work great in salads – just a couple of sprigs will give your fresh veggie salad a kick that no dressing will achieve on its own. Thyme is one of those herbs that can stand up to long cooking times and is actually better for dishes that will be braised for hours. Tender potatoes and carrots need very little fussing over. Very aromatic, it has small, grey-green leaves, and a sweetly earthy flavour. ​11. Use thyme singly or in combination with other herbs to make your own herb butter. When you have made your favorite pasta sauce, add a pinch of dried leaves to enhance your dish. Recipe: Pork Shoulder Roast with Figs, Garlic, and Pinot Noir. Try our favorite fresh thyme recipes for dinner tonight. It was then used together with bay leaf and a mix of aromatic herbs and spices to complete the traditional herb bundle bouquet garni, which was practically used to flavor every stock and stew in French cooking.