- YouTube their souls and they will go into his gems to die within 24 hours. If the players are still in 'touchy-touchy' and 'hack-and-slash' mode by the time they got this far, they get what they deserve. Is Elastigirl's body shape her natural shape, or did she choose it? The awesome treasure on the floor is protected by a phantasm that will threaten players, but can't actually do anything unless the players attack it enough, which gives it the juice to turn it into a ghost. The point of that dungeon isn't to beat it, it's to send players through a meat grinder. epic-level adventurers for a later epic-level quest I've planned, and He set out to find them and "[25], Something Awful presented a humorous article about the ways that Tomb of Horrors is the bane of gamers everywhere since it is basically a series of traps that kills off most of the characters. What it means is that lower level characters might straight out die and that the CRs are not balanced at all as they just copied the old dungeon straight up. Is there any limit to the rate at which court cases can be filed? Then there's the fake boss-fight room -- which is shown in the illustration on the outside of the module just to fuck with people who saw it in the game store. One thing I found running it in 2e (as part of Return to the ToH, which needs levels 14-18 instead of 10-14) is that the dungeon is much less immediately deadly if characters have access to spells like time stop or contingency (linked to featherfall, say), or easy access to powerful divinations. It's nothing but a constant barrage of "gotchas" that only the most paranoid and insightful players will ever predict. The path also leads into an engraved mouth large enough to enter; it's the exit point of a few teleport traps elsewhere in the Tomb. Get out … Should I use the DMG suggestions for starting at higher levels in terms of gold and magic items? We did the Tomb with a party of three level 11s , only one died in to the boss. At [very high-level] play you have ample conjurations, NPCs/mooks, and other tools. There just aren't enough creatures in the dungeon to level up. The funny thing is that the module actually isn't really directly unfair as such; it just challenges the players' assumptions about how the game is played. A challenge that was made for 10th-14th level 1e characters, I would estimate as being for at least 15th to 20th level characters from 5e. [3] Dungeon Master for Dummies lists Tomb of Horrors as one of the ten best classic adventures and posits that many of the adventure's traps would kill a character just for making poor choices. We tried several attempts. It was originally written for and used at the 1975 Origins 1 convention. Characters & Setup The table was two pregenerated 11th level characters and two previously played PCs increased from 9th to 11th level. For one thing, Tomb of Horrors is not a hack 'n slash, it's more of an experience dungeon, so there aren't that many creatures to fight. Many of the doors you see are actually fake, opening on a solid wall, and two of them conjure a spear that jabs the nearest person in the chest. It even says in the intro, if your group isn't into outwitting traps, might not be the best. Having watched a group on the roll20 channel on twitch go through White Plume at level 8, I'd say you can be safe with a group at level 15 easily enough. No one survived. How does the altered Extra Attack feature of the Bladesinger (Tasha's Cauldron version) interact with Fighter's additional Extra Attacks? In some cases the original module has higher DC checks, or the traps do more damage; as befitting the D&D Next rules in play around that time. through a spying object that he gave the characters at the beginning. I am the flush of excitement. them, setting the players free. That and there isn't a ton of challenging combat beyond the demilich. It won't really matter much. Some people like role-playing... some like to be challenged in combat... some like puzzles and traps... Old school D&D had plenty of traps, puzzles, and combat, and occasionally some role-play, but most of us old timers played through these dungeons just to see if we could get through them. Just to get INTO the damn thing, you have to probe a marshy hillock with that 10' pole every character buys. I laugh. It has monsters, DCs, hit point damage. The original "bust your ass and then hand it to you on a silver plate" dungeon itself, the Tomb of Horrors is an adventure module for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons that proved to be a legendary source of considerable rage.