For a stunning cake of your own, just follow a few simple techniques! Place one cake layer on a cake board or a serving plate. 1 3/4 cups (385g) caster sugar. The nutritional information and US conversions are calculated automatically. Well, this is a game of trial and error. Position the second cake on top. Spread the remaining jam inside the cake. What an amazing cake. Raspberry jam would be delicious. Also, I have pretty limited time right now, so I can't afford to make mistakes or have to re-do anything. Perfect combination of sweet and tangy! First one - use REAL vanilla extract or vanilla bean. 3) How many cups of finished frosting does this recipe make? (Kinda hate that word, but can't find a better one for this situation, sorry xD). A cherry or blueberry pie filling will taste great, but please keep in mind that a pie filling will result in more spillage. Turn the heat down and let it simmer for approx. As every frosting that has butter in it, it stiffens in the fridge, but that's a good thing if you're transporting a cake - makes it sturdier. Raspberry Vanilla Layer Cake Did you use a kitchen scale? If you like your cakes on the thinner side though, you can double the recipe, but I usually recommend that for a 3 8-inch layer cake. Cover it with cling film and leave it to cool in the fridge. I only had 9inch cake pans, so I doubled the recipe for 3-layers and it worked out very well. I definitely agree that it would be best if you could make a small test cake and see it for yourself. Otherwise, your cake will overbake and that will cause dryness. Who wouldn’t? I made this cake for Mother's Day yesterday and it turned out amazingly! (Mark side of cake with toothpicks and cut with long, thin serrated knife.) Often, the main reason for a dry cake is not the recipe, but the fact that you overbaked it. The cake was so moist and perfect. Cake: Preheat the oven to 180°C. I’ve tried that before too, but just like my cake decorating skills, my cake slicing skills are a complete mess. Using a small offset palette knife or a piping bag, spread the frosting over the cake and drizzle some berry jam over the frosting. If you are like me and only have one cake tin (not four of the same size) make sure you throughly clean the cake tin after each use and run it under cold water to cool it down between uses – you will also have to prepare the cake tin each time for each cake. I know it's a lot and a step outside the norm, but it totally works! Either way, I didn't mean to be rude in any way and I'm so happy you liked the recipe! If you want even more layers of jam, you can slice each cake in half and make a four layer cake. Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and gently fold into the mixture. Milk is essentially the same as ml, I just write everything in grams because it's easier to weigh it, than to measure in a jug. Pour evenly into pans. This is your pudding base. I know that when I try a recipe that has cups measurements, 1 cup = 125 g generally works really well. This is an absolutely fabulous recipe and I cannot wait to make it again. Hi I'm intending on making this cake in a couple of weeks. Happy baking! I was stirring it every couple of seconds but it turned really thick really fast. You can also make your own buttermilk by mixing 1-2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice with 250g of milk and leave it a little bit to thicken. It was perfect for the kids. If that happens, put a skewer through the middle of the cake to keep it from sliding. Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a mixing bowl, whisk to combine then make a well. For the top add a thick layer of icing and then start from the outside and work your way in with short sharp circular motions to create the rustic look. However, I do not have sour cream so what can I use instead of sour cream? Was sceptical about the 3 T/Spoons of baking powder, but it worked! Once the cakes have been cooked and they are completely cool. Preheat oven to 180°C. Top with second layer. Save this recipe to your Pinterest board for later! congrats on making the wedding cake, that's a tough job! it should be really gloopy, and almost spreadable consistency after being chilled in the fridge. Or lucky guesses. I will need to decorate the cake on a Friday, take it to the reception location, and leave it there until the Saturday evening. Hello and welcome to Lord Byron's Kitchen! LESS-, © 2020 ®/TM General Mills All Rights Reserved. Her recipe was for a 3-layer 6inch cake.