Chitlins taste that way, too: strange, funky, bold, strong, unusual. Usually when someone learns that I like eating chitterlings, the response is sort of a bemused disbelief. Either you love Chitlin's and the way that they taste or you cannot stand the smell or even the thought of what you may be eating. Whether you love or hate them, you can’t argue that chitlins have a unique flavor. What Do Chitlins Taste Like? “We don’t eat food that doesn’t taste good.” Chitlins tend to inspire strong feelings among people who eat them. She was telling about her family getting together preparing collard greens and how you had to wash them to get sand and grit out of them and about her mother in law making chitterlings (which are hog intestines). When the chitterlings are boiled the odor of shit is released. You stated that you like tripe so the chances are high you might enjoy chitterlings, too, since they taste similar. The best way to find a location that sells them is through an Internet search or word of mouth. Its taste is meaty and porky and, because sometimes I am at a loss to describe that ineffably "gamey" or animalistic flavor of innards, let me just say that intestines taste "offal-y." Whether you love or hate them, you can’t argue that chitlins have a unique flavor. Store the leftovers in the refrigerator. Discard the potato, onions, celery and bay leaf. Heat the chitterlings through and serve with your favorite side dishes. I have eaten chitterlings since I was a small youth. However you feel about them it is never dry or ho-hum. I asked what they tasted like and she said "sh**" because that is … “It smells like a butt,” she says. However, I admit…chitterlings have an obnoxious smell before and after cooking. would go to the slaves. The end result is a heavenly tasteful plate of hog intestines if they were cleaned and prepared properly. Chitlins tend to inspire strong feelings among people who eat them. First, you should boil them for five minutes prior to cleaning them to kill any bacteria. The lemons or lemon juice will kill the bacteria that causes the odor. This will not change the taste of your chitlins and actually makes it easier to clean them. Like any other raw food, these things can be present in chitlins. This will not change the taste of your chitlins and actually makes it easier to clean them. Like any other raw food, these things can be present in chitlins. Pour out most of the cooking liquid. First, you should boil them for five minutes prior to cleaning them to kill any bacteria. Like so many other great soul food dishes, chitlins taste even better after the flavor has soaked in for a few hours. This meant that the master’s household would keep the desirable cuts of pork, while the seemingly unappetizing parts of the pig (snouts, ears, feet, intestines, etc.) It's important to realize that some butchers don't clean chitlins before they sell them, so it's essential to confirm whether they're cleaned or not, and if not, take the necessary steps to eat them safely. What Do Chitlins Taste Like? Like other soul foods, chitlins’ roots in the U.S. are tied to slavery. The smell of them cooking can make a strong stomach turn flips.But for some folks, chitterlings - or ``chitlins' - will make your taste buds do the tango. Everybody feels strongly one way or the other about the Southern Soul Food delicacy. “It tastes good to them,” she says. It contains tripe and I really liked it. Cooked Chitlins Sharelle D. Lowery Chitlin's. Chitterlings, commonly called chitlins, may contain the Yersinia bacteria. Chitterlings (/ ˈ tʃ ɪ t ər l ɪ ŋ z / or / ˈ tʃ ɪ t l ɪ n z /; sometimes spelled/pronounced chitlins or chittlins) are a prepared food usually made from the large intestines of a hog, although the intestines of cattle and other animals are sometimes used. Well, chitterlings are prepared from the intestines of ruminating animals and being intestines the tubes are filled with shit for the life of the animal. I love chitterlings and they taste good to me. Even so, Barnes calls the dish a “delicacy.” Her family still eats chitlins, but not because they’re a symbol or an homage to the past; they simply like to eat them. Use Lemon To Get Rid of Chitterlings Smell (By: Niki H.) - Quickly rinse them when you take it out the bag and put them in a container and use either 4 cut up squeezed lemons or 2 cups of lemon juice and let it sit in the container for like 3 hours. While chitlins may not be available at everyday markets, specialty butchers often carry them. Dr. Stroube warns that bacteria in raw chitterlings or pig intestines can cause severe diarrhea, especially in infants.