However, dip powder systems came to save such people’s lives because instead of damaging the nails, it tends to strengthen and nourish them. I had the salon do SNS and I kept my face away. Not until you have been exposed and your body has marked that antigen or allergen as being foreign and threatening can it respond. Hi Sheila, I appreciate this blog post very much. I'm a nail tech and have seen this type of allergic reaction before. So I've replied to a bunch of these comments gradually, as I have been doing research (Im an RN and work nights, so I've had some free time and I'm so shocked at how sick this made me and how I was never warned, etc!!!!). I'm really sorry you're dealing with it. A recent thought I had was the acetone I was using, I had used 100% acetone and then switched to ones with various additives and I’m wondering if the additives are part of the problem? Once Covid hit I couldn’t get them done Turns out they have a chemical in them called Ethyl Cyanoacrylate (it’s glue- like a super/crazy glue) which is harmful and can cause respiratory problems and allergy symptoms. I had a problem with the Gelish Dip kit.I used the lint wipe they provide to wipe off the top coat brush.That caused a chemical burn.I contacted the company and they said cotton can cause a problem if used to wipe brushes.They do not state this anywhere on their kit.They admitted it should be listed on their packaging.I requested my money back and asked that they include a warning.They seemed interested in my concerns in July.They asked for pics of my thumb that was burned.I provided all the info to them.They have stopped answering my emails.I am interested to know if anyone else has had this happen to them! Ensure that you always monitor your body after a dip powder manicure for possible allergic reactions. I believe the general consensus is that the problem causing the reaction is the binders. It starts in my chest it feels wheezy. I wondered if it was the binders and base so my next move was to use liquid nail monomer, but I think I'll get the gas mask if you are symptom free after using it. I hope that helps. Except for me it starts instantly, while i am doing the nails. I also bought an 80w vacuum box but not helping. I use the dual forms (there are a million tutorials on youtube). I know that's a ton of questions. I hope the other ladies who posted on here see your comment. https://youtu.be/0qvIRqxm8AM There are different reasons why this happens, but most often it is due to overexposure of the acrylic monomers (the liquid) to your nails, and the surrounding skin. My “dip flu” lasts 3-4 days. But, this isn’t new at all. So I’m hoping if I get a better mask and wear it the whole time, I can continue to dip. But I was wondering is there product that better than Kiara that’s won’t produce allergic reaction?Thanks, Hey Patty, I've only used Kiara Sky and Peppi, but the other commenters have mentioned a half dozen others that all give them allergic reactions. I think it’s probably an accumulation of mucous and inflammation draining ending up at the bottom of my lungs (b/c my cough and chest discomfort is much higher up in my throat and around my sternum). Every single time I get extremely irritated. I am using this UV curing lamp (you want at least a 24W lamp): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGG5CMO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gvU2EbRV55M9N. You can try the salon and see what happens. Allergic reactions to nail cosmetics around the fingers usually appear as redness and swelling of the fingertips. Maybe it's that we're further away? I'm just so curious as to why I didn't have a reaction the first 5 times, I even did my daughter's too. She uses clear in this video, but you can definitely use any color you like, using a clear gel at the end instead of using a colored gel. I wonder the same thing. I think a lot of the ladies on here have had success switching to the alternate method I've outlined in the post, eliminating the binders for the dip method. If you want to start your dip journey, this perpect dip powder kit will help you discover everything you need to begin. However, this should be enough to keep you on high alert to avoid infections or reactions. I hope it helps! Or an acetone with additives? You know, I always thought the masks my nail techs used were to keep particles out of their faces, but now I realize it must be them trying to mitigate the effect of the fumes. Fingernail polish contains several chemicals that can trigger an allergic reaction. Even the “sensitive” glue had the same reaction, because it contained the same ingredient. No issues at all! I switched to SNS and the first time I used it I had the same problem. So happy to have found your blog! Ha! Hi Shiela, I have just realized I too am having the same exact allergic reactions as all the gals here. While acrylic nails are generally safe, some people may have an allergic reaction to the components of the acrylic nails or the adhesive used to apply them. Even tho I don't do nails at home. Here it is Saturday and it’s very mild but nonetheless, I’m still finding tightened in my throat and upper chest. Nail polishes contain chemicals, so if you’re already on board with using traditional polish, you don’t have anything more to worry about when using the dip powder from a toxin perspective. I'm gonna try and switch the UV gel bonds instead and cure with a lamp so my dip powders I've purchased in recent months weren't a waste of $, hopefully the powders did not get too contaminated from the base coats I dipped into them as I'm sure they can still cause a reaction if that is the case. So I didn’t realize until a few manis later, as with many of us, that this was the culprit.