Buy a tree from a reputable grower. I suspect they may have been grown outdoors and brought inside, briefly, when they were show-worthy. Trees grown from seeds tend to be unhealthy and may not last until they flower and produce fruit. for growing these sweet, juicy lemons at home. They will bear their fruit during the winter. The good news is that Meyer lemon trees require a relatively low amount of sunlight – needing just six hours of sunlight. True lemon trees have thorns. If plants get too dry, salts will accumulate in the soil (when the soil is wet, the salts are soluble and won’t harm plants). She earned a BA in Environmental and Sustainability Studies from Western Michigan University in 2014. You can cut a strip of landscaper's cloth and place it at the bottom of the pot to keep it from leaking dirt into the saucer. We have 200 guides on everything from fences to foxgloves. Some people choose to grow them indoors year-round for their versatility. The main challenge of keeping fruit trees like this indoors is ensuring that they get proper sunlight. The fruit gained in popularity in the 1990s as part of the California Cuisine Revolution. “Hang on, I’m pulling over onto the shoulder,” Mr. Vega said. Meyer lemons have a thinner rind and more seeds than a true lemon. Just be sure to bring it back indoors before the first frost. The modern Meyer lemon tree is a hybrid created and released by the University of California in 1975. Meyer lemon trees are the best and most adaptable tree for growing inside. If you are living in the Northern Hemisphere where we are in the autumn season, your trees are acting normally. Lemon trees can be pruned year-round when grown indoors. Answer: The most noticeable difference between a Meyer lemon tree and a true lemon tree is the lack of thorns. Use a small, dry paintbrush to dab each flower. Meyer lemons were always popular, but they were susceptible disease – so much so that importing them was banned. Meyer lemon trees are often grafted onto lemon or orange root stocks. Incandescent (filament) bulbs do not have the right frequency for the plant to photosynthesize. Although lemon trees grow best outdoors, they can be grown inside as well if given plenty of care. Although you can grow lemon trees from seed, they are less likely to adapt to indoor climates and will not produce the same as their parent tree. It doesn't seem to be harmed but it's making a mess. One way to increase the humidity level without damaging an indoor environment is with a humidity tray. What kind of grow light should be used indoors? Question: I read on here that Meyer lemon trees do not have thorns. Having a tree in my yard would be wonderful. The fruit can contain up to 10 seeds. Browse our collection of more than 2,000 plants and seeds, which can be ordered directly from our favorite shops and growers. Resist the urge to sprinkle your Meyer lemon tree with water every time you're in the room. Your tree will need a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight per day. unlocking this expert answer. Fortunately, Meyer lemon trees are small enough to be grown in a container and brought indoors during the winter. Write CSS OR LESS and hit save. Thanks for the info. To learn how to harvest the lemons from your tree, scroll down! Start your growing adventure with a healthy tree on a hardy rootstock. Use a high-nitrogen fertilizer, in particular one made for citrus trees. A decade later, a virus-free Meyer lemon was developed in California. I recommend dwarf citrus for indoor growing. Meyer lemon trees do not tolerate the hot dry conditions found in our homes. Feed your tree fertilizer monthly between April and September for the best results. If you live in a warm climate, you can always move your plant's pot outside or. “Indoors, there is a lack of humidity,” said Mr. Vega. Indoor citrus trees need as much light as you can give them.