Creating Flowers – use vegetables with bright colors. Emily adores both food and writing, so combining those passions as a writer for Taste of Home makes perfect sense. Sourdough, baguettes, rye, wheat…it’s all good. I especially love how Avalon used the sliced shallots so they looked like octopus swimming. If you don’t want to feel pressured to design your work of art in under 15 minutes, set it up beforehand on a large plate or sheet pan. Stir until combined, and then let it sit for five minutes. serve same day, warm or at room temperature! bake on top rack of oven according to your foaccia recipe. If it shrinks back, walk away for about 15 minutes to let the gluten relax before you stretch again. Hi Tlist809, we haven’t tried this combination of flours to know if it would work for this recipe. Set it aside for about 5 minutes or until it looks foamy. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021036-classic-focaccia Once you take it out of fridge, let it come to room temperature before dimpling it.). The warmer it is, the faster the dough will rise. Refrigerate leftovers. Transfer your dough to a large, oiled bowl. Top with a sprinkle of flaky salt, if desired. Put the art in focaccia bread art! Just be sure to add some oil on top of your artwork to avoid burning. i recently discovered the joy and ease of creating beautiful focaccia breadscapes. Mini bell Peppers – sliced vertically (so they stay round) to look like small flowers or sliced horizontally (in strips) to make big sunflowers! Place the dough into the pan and press it down. Use your imagination! If you end up embarking on this artistic culinary journey, VineyardBaker encourages those who have been inspired by her to post their work so she can see it. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Instagram user @vineyardbaker is at the heart of this trend. Transfer bread to a wire rack and cool. We’d recommend starting with this recipe for tomato herb focaccia and replace the tomato with toppings like kalamata olives, fresh herbs, yellow peppers, capers and grape tomatoes to create your own masterpiece. Box 5501, Aloha, OR 97006, warm water (110ºF) divided into two bowls, or all-purpose flour (5 cups spooned and leveled), for the pan and for drizzling on top of the focaccia after rising (1/2 cup), Combine your first cup of warm water with your yeast and sugar and mix to combine. Add 1-1/2 cups of flour and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the water and yeast mixture. Save Recipe. a fun side note: if you’d rather consume video content, i’m experimenting with youtube! Total. Mix on low until combined. *(You can also place dough covered in fridge overnight to rise. Trying a way to cut carbs so a diabetic can enjoy some. Once you're done stretching, cover it with plastic wrap and place it into the fridge overnight to develop flavor. Before baking that beautiful artisan Italian bread, you’ll need to get some fresh ingredients, like herbs and vibrantly colored vegetables, to create that gorgeous, charming imagery. Poke some dimples with your fingers. All Rights Reserved, 2-1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast (one packet), 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (divided), 1/2 teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon flakey salt (divided). Then, drizzle some of the garlic-olive oil mixture onto a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet, rubbing it all over the bottom and sides. Add flour (a little at a time) and mix well. The long proof in the fridge gives it flavor and a lovely chewy interior with a thin and crispy crust. See the blog post above for more ideas. You’ll have to knead at least 20 times to get a smooth ball of dough. preheat oven according to your foaccia recipe. The secret is naturally beautiful, colorful toppings. Cover your sheet pan in plastic wrap to keep the dough from drying out and then place it into the fridge overnight for the second proof. Add a little extra flour if needed. If it's still too sticky, add in a couple more Tablespoons of flour until it comes together. Your email address will not be published. The great part about this focaccia bread art is finding which vegetables and herbs you want to use for your focaccia bread art ingredients. We recommend you use a paring knife for these little details. I got mine all the way to the edges because I made a double batch but if you are using a single batch, just shape it roughly in the center of the pan as much as you can. Do You Love Birds? If you choose to use wet ingredients like juicy cherry tomatoes, she recommends to pat them dry after slicing so they don’t make your bread soggy. VinyardBaker recommends letting the dough rise and get a bit “billowy” before pressing delicate ingredients like chive stems into the bread. Add in remaining 8 oz. Fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)- See Focaccia Art “toppings” below Focaccia Bread Art Toppings The great part about this focaccia bread art is finding which vegetables and herbs you want to use for your focaccia bread art ingredients. gently lay different veggie pieces on the dough to create shapes. Flaky salt for tops, optional. My favorite is this sunflower named Vincent Van Dough. Looking for more people to follow? 1 teaspoon salt I like to prep my toppings while the focaccia is warming up. 2 1/2 cups bread flour, if you can find it, otherwise, use all-purpose flour That’s what I did with my daughter and we had a blast! Sign Up Today for More Access! Bake in the oven at 450ºF for 20-25 minutes or until the focaccia bread is nice and golden. First, take a look at a few designs to get an idea of what you want to make. Now, bake your masterpiece for about 15 minutes, or until it’s golden brown. Want to make some yourself? after weeks of drooling over @blondieandrye ‘s creations, (which are closer works of art than a loaf of bread), i finally mustered up enough courage and vegetables. Stir the remaining 1-1/2 cups of flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and bring the dough together. if you're making my discard focaccia, preheat oven to 500°F. A post shared by VineyardBaker (@vineyardbaker) on Mar 1, 2019 at 4:41pm PST. https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/three-flavour-focaccia Place your dough into a bowl with about a Tablespoon of olive oil. Cakes are my obession, which is why I'm dedicated to crafting tried-and-true recipes, small cake tutorials, as well as advanced online cake courses! At the time of this blog post, the world was in quarantine so our days are filled with lots of fun projects to keep ourselves and the kids busy. Place the dough into the pan and press it down. Use your fingers to stretch and press the dough out in the pan. Keep mixing on low until your dough develops enough gluten that when you touch it, it bounces back. Day 2 – Take your focaccia out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Add in about 1 cup of flour and mix on low until combined, Add in the rest of your water, the olive oil and the salt and half of your remaining flour. 25 mins. Her work has also appeared in Birds & Blooms and on TV Insider. We’d recommend starting with this recipe for tomato herb focaccia and replace the tomato with toppings like kalamata olives, fresh herbs, yellow peppers, capers and grape tomatoes to create your own masterpiece. Be careful not to tear it. Mine usually only takes about 1 hour if my room is warm. Thanks for comments – I’m also planning to try with Whole Wheat or Buckwheat Flour; usually using half AP flour and half other or special flour works well. First, take a look at a few designs to get an idea of what you want to make. You can even take it a step further, with different cheeses and cooked meats, like pepperoni or sausage. Cover dough again and let is rise for 30 minutes. Drizzle a good amount olive oil onto the top of the bread until all the dimples have a little oil in them. Let them sit in the fridge while you make your focaccia bread. Thin slices of bell pepper for flower petals (strips, or crosswise), Poppyseeds, parmesan for “earth” or “sand”, You can also used thinly sliced sausage, or mini pepperoni slices if you want meat. This will prevent them from burning while baking. 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried) Bakers are turning foccacia into glamourous works of bread art by layering on creative ingredients. A Primer for Hurricanes, Tornadoes and Storm Surges, Lunar and Solar Eclipses – Dates, Folklores and Facts (2020). Prepare veggies and herbs by cutting them, deseeding them and preparing them to top the dough. Making focaccia bread art is not only fun but delicious!