The devil has the gates, but Jesus has the keys. ], Publication date: September 11, 2015, Updated: November 2, 2017. When we die our bodies become lifeless and are no longer the place where we "reside," but we continue to exist as souls, either with Christ in glory or separated from Christ in shame. Maybe your past sinful habit of foolish spending seems to rear its ugly head from time to time; or though you dearly love your wife and are satisfied with your intimacy with her, you nonetheless find yourself looking lustfully at other women. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you" (Isaiah 43:1-2). The question can be answered in many ways. We think we’re going from the land of living to the land of dying. When you need it, the Lord will give it to you, and you won’t be afraid.”. . We have nothing to fear in the moment of death for when the time comes, Jesus will personally unlock the gate and usher us into his presence. Dying is like taking a trip to see the Lord Jesus. And I hold the keys of death and Hades.” Keys are a sign of authority. You love your spouse and your children but there are times you ‘lose it’ and say very harsh and demeaning things to them. Our soul goes into the conscious presence of the Lord. Death wins the battle every time. I have been asked more than once how God can raise the dead if the body has been burned or lost or vaporized in some terrible explosion. Mark 9:43-48 speaks of the fire that is not quenched and the worm that does not die—a reference to the continuing existence of human personality in hell. No! No doubt there are times in your life, as in mine, when you are so very discouraged by your lingering sinful attitudes, predispositions, habits, desires, affections, words, and deeds. Now take a guess as to how many more days you expect to live. On one hand it’s undeniably true that some Bible characters did see the Lord before they died. This is our hope and comfort as we stand at the graveside of a loved one. You know God is with you, that you should be able to trust Him, but you still find yourself falling to these debilitating and sinful inclinations. Notice also that being in heaven with the Lord is referred to as being "at home." You know it is only a matter of time before you close your eyes in death. When the saved die, they go directly into the presence of the Lord. The very moment you breathe your last breath, your spirit, the very essence of your being, will be in the presence of Jesus, giving praise to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. This morning, we come finally to the great text of 1 Thessalonians 4:13 through 18. Other books in recent years have purported to tell of people who “died,” went to “heaven,” and then were given a “second chance” to return to the earth. At the same time, however, you often grow weary in prayer, falling asleep at times, your mind wandering to the things you need to do that day. 1. This eager anticipation for our resurrection stops not when we die, but when we finally receive the fulfillment of our anticipation in the resurrection of our bodies. 4. What an amazing promise. John Piper's sermon series, "What Happens When You Die? Comfort your dying Christian loved ones with this truth. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. If you can raise the dead, you can raise the dead. . While he was still a young man in the ministry, his first wife died. All your thoughts, words, affections, desires, and habits will be pure, perfect, and undefiled. coming home to see your family and friends . . riding a chariot to the New Jerusalem . When you finally cross the line, there is no coming back from the other side. FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions About The Christian Life, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Before saying any more, we should note one similarity between the fate of the saved and the lost. . The answer is no. While still alive, Paul stated that he was waiting eagerly for the redemption of his body (Romans 8:23). As someone has noted, the statistics on death are appalling. Ephesians 2:1 says that we are spiritually dead by nature. I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good,’ (Romans 7:19-21). Revelation 20:11-15 describes the awesome scene as the unsaved dead are raised to stand before God and receive their final sentence of doom. God wants His people to be comforted in the face of death: "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine! And declare this wonderful truth to anyone who will listen who is outside of Christ, telling him that Jesus was given over to death for our transgressions, that He was raised again from the dead for our justification. Consider what the Bible says in Hebrews 9:27, “It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment” (NKJV). Take a moment to calculate the number of days you have lived so far. 2. being set free from prison . He alludes to the event in 2 Corinthians 12. Let’s also remember that Satan is the great deceiver. This follows from the above point that believers are taken to heaven immediately at death. What happens when you die depends on what happens before you die. taking a long journey to a new land .